Business Opportunities

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I am still considering a move to the PI and am looking at business opportunities to supplement my SSI if and when I move there.

There is a saying in South East Asia, if you want to make a million dollars start with two million :unsure:

The people who say that have read too many forums  :)  There are a lot of people making money in all sorts of business in the Philippines, expats included but for those not business inclined it's easier to just believe the naysayers which when it comes to expats forums are the ones that never had a business or any experience in successful or failed business.

True many fail and when talking about expats you mainly hear the gripe from the losing party. The successful ones do not need to go on line and brag about it.

I would turn on my computer, collect orders, ship products and start counting my money!

If you are talking about shipping in the Phils then my opinion is that's where your problems begin but locals and some foreigners have succeeded. If you mean shipping from a western country to a western country the logistics are much easier. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Certainly not going to Brag about anything but HEY! as a Family we are doing OK! My Money her Nouse, Know how and Connections it can be Done.

Legally.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

I am still considering a move to the PI and am looking at business opportunities to supplement my SSI if and when I move there.

I have found an online opportunity that I am very interested in and before looking at these posts this morning, ASSUMED...lol...don't you love it when somebody ASSUMES...lol....that I would turn on my computer, collect orders, ship products and start counting my money!

ezee peezee right?  :dance:

My guess is that y'all are going to say, "ezee peezee...NO!  lol.

Does anyone know of a good, central source(s) advising what to be aware of, lookout for, etc. when conducting business in PI?  

I would assume this question may require some deep investigating depending upon the many variables which may be involved.

As always everyone, thank you for your great comments, suggestions and patience!   :tiphat:

BobP

:hohoho_smiley:

:cheersty:

A friend of mine started his own online business selling electronics from various places around the globe and once the bi got used to the sender address they started to charge import tax. IMHO the best way to supplement an income here is to teach English online and get paid into your home country bank account.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

get paid into your home country bank account.

From what I have heard from quite a few starting out, it can be the Payment side of things that can go so very Wrong. The Ideal Business Idea is great but at the End of the day it really is, all about the Money.

JMHO

Jack :)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
IMHO the best way to supplement an income here is to teach English online and get paid into your home country bank account.
Well. If you don't get caught   :lol:   because that's illegal...

(=Income earned by work done in Phils has to be taxed in Phils.)

Many countries have tax deals with Phils, so perhaps some countries have exception from that law, but the deal I have seen make exceptions only for a few PASSIVE income types e g patents.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

get paid into your home country bank account.

From what I have heard from quite a few starting out, it can be the Payment side of things that can go so very Wrong. The Ideal Business Idea is great but at the End of the day it really is, all about the Money.

JMHO

Jack :)

Internet business is not always classed as working here. I know several people who teach English online and are legal as the money is paid out abroad  ( and the students are abroad)it never really involves the phills

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Internet business is not always classed as working here.

. . . 

It would be really interesting to see a court decision on that.  I agree with you, to a point.  If you are a filipino doing as you suggest then the Philippine government is going to want some income tax.  If you are from another country then that country will expect you to declare the income.  Someone will consider it working and someone will want income tax from you and the question is who.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Internet business is not always classed as working here. I know several people who teach English online and are legal as the money is paid out abroad ( and the students are abroad)it never really involves the phills
Where have you got it from that's legal???

That's "export business" WORK DONE from the Philippines = Can be owned 100 % by a foreigner, but taxed in the Philippines (if there isn't any deal between countries saying different.) Compare Call Centers and such.

It's different if living in Phils and the work is done ABROAD. Then Phils DON'T demand any tax even when the other country don't demand any tax.

It can be different for websites handle from ABROAD

and PERHAPS it can be different for AUTOMATIC websites , owned by someone living in Phils. I know some countries have deals concerning LICENSES and such where the income can be paid to an other country and made their tax laws valid.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Imagine you are in Sweden, (should be easy to do), and imagine you are teaching English to Swedish students online.  Now you come to Philippines as a tourist and continue to teach those Swedish students, in Sweden, via the Internet, while you are here as a tourist, and the money is being paid from Swedish students in Swedish money to your Swedish bank.

Now tell us how that involves the Philippines and how it is illegal.  We are all ears.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Imagine you are in Sweden, (should be easy to do), and imagine you are teaching English to Swedish students online.  Now you come to Philippines as a tourist and continue to teach those Swedish students, in Sweden, via the Internet, while you are here as a tourist, and the money is being paid from Swedish students in Swedish money to your Swedish bank.

Now tell us how that involves the Philippines and how it is illegal.  We are all ears.

I told you in the post you quoted from which basic law I got that from. Read again...

What you write is ILLEGAL BOTH by not having work permit and not paying tax in corect country. Plus some more illegalities  :)

(I suppouse it's no problem to GET work permit in Phils for such as you describe, but it isn't applied for...)

• Like 1