Business Opportunities

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
It's different if living in Phils and the work is done ABROAD. Then Phils DON'T demand any tax even when the other country don't demand any tax.
You have answered your own question.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Internet business is not always classed as working here.

. . . 

It would be really interesting to see a court decision on that.  I agree with you, to a point.  If you are a filipino doing as you suggest then the Philippine government is going to want some income tax.  If you are from another country then that country will expect you to declare the income.  Someone will consider it working and someone will want income tax from you and the question is who.

Yes Dave I think it would depend on how much they think they could screw out of a person.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What you write is ILLEGAL BOTH by not having work permit and not paying tax in corect country. Plus some more illegalities 

So if someone is here as a tourist, and wants to continue their work abroad while lying on the beach, that's ILLEGAL according to you.

Does this apply if:

a) you are lying on a Philippine beach and you make a phone call to your rental agent back in Sweden and instruct them to go collect your rent?

b) you are sitting in a tourist bar in Philippines and you have suddenly remember you forgot to tell a client you were going to be away so you call back to Sweden and discuss business with him and then bill him for the call?

c) Is it just the Philippines that this is illegal or can you not take your work with you when you go on vacation (travel as a tourist) anywhere?  I am starting to think that 90% of the world is breaking the Thomas Law.  (I refer to it as the Thomas Law as you are the only one I have ever seen mention it and you will not give a source other than what is in your own mind.)

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It's different if living in Phils and the work is done ABROAD. Then Phils DON'T demand any tax even when the other country don't demand any tax.

There isn't any question in your quote if my text...  :mocking:

Work done abroad counted in PHILIPPINE point of view. The Philippine laws are written in PHILIPPINE point of view !   :lol: 

What you write is ILLEGAL BOTH by not having work permit and not paying tax in corect country. Plus some more illegalities 

So if someone is here as a tourist, and wants to continue their work abroad while lying on the beach, that's ILLEGAL according to you.

Does this apply if:

a) you are lying on a Philippine beach and you make a phone call to your rental agent back in Sweden and instruct them to go collect your rent?

b) you are sitting in a tourist bar in Philippines and you have suddenly remember you forgot to tell a client you were going to be away so you call back to Sweden and discuss business with him and then bill him for the call?

c) Is it just the Philippines that this is illegal or can you not take your work with you when you go on vacation (travel as a tourist) anywhere?  I am starting to think that 90% of the world is breaking the Thomas Law.  (I refer to it as the Thomas Law as you are the only one I have ever seen mention it and you will not give a source other than what is in your own mind.)

It's a HUGE difference between

/a SHORT time VISITING tourist

/and expats LIVING LONG time in Phils at tourist VISA...

Have any of you asked Filipino officials if you are allowed to work in Phils without suiting VISA and work permit... ?   :lol: 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
It's a HUGE difference between /a SHORT time VISITING tourist /and expats LIVING LONG time in Phils at tourist VISA.

Nope. Its just variations on a theme.  A tourist is a tourist whether here for a week or 3 years.

Have any of you asked Filipino officials if you are allowed to work in Phils without suiting VISA and work permit... ?

Nope.  I also have not asked them if they have been on vacation and called in to do some long distance work and if they paid taxes to the country  they were vacationing in.  Why?  Because its a damn stupid question.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

There isn't any question in your quote if my text...  :mocking:

Work done abroad counted in PHILIPPINE point of view. The Philippine laws are written in PHILIPPINE point of view !   :lol:

Does this apply if:

It's a HUGE difference between

/a SHORT time VISITING tourist

/and expats LIVING LONG time in Phils at tourist VISA...

Have any of you asked Filipino officials if you are allowed to work in Phils without suiting VISA and work permit... ?   :lol:

So I said the wrong word big deal  at least I admit when I am wrong you made a statement and contradicted what you were saying the gist of all of this is you can go online and pull up laws here and when you get to where you want to live it dont mean squat.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Point on Taxes is such, if you receive money in the Philippines you pay tax. If you receive money anywhere else you usually have to submit a tax Paid Certificate( In English) from the Country you Received and paid the Tax in.

Source, ME! Cos I had to do it. Banks and BIR need to know where your Money is coming From if it is Earned. 

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Thomas is almost certainly right, not just in the Philippines but globally. There is a difference between legal and enforceable.

People have to pay taxes in their place of residence (and citizenship in some cases: USA, Eritrea, N.Korea), and people visiting with a tourist visa are not allowed to take up work, regardless whether the client is abroad (export services) or local. So much for the rules, of course nobody can and will arrest you for sending some mails or doing some phone calls while on vacation in the Philippines. But if you are in Manila for 3 months and go to the office every morning that situation starts to change, so just because there is a grey line of work that cannot be enforced does not mean it's legal. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
does not mean it's legal. 

When something can be proven to be illegal, beyond the reasonable doubts of other forum members, then this forum would not condone posting about it.

To date I have seen opinions from various members but no actual court cases that would illustrate that this is a law which is current and enforceable in Philippines.  When I talk about current and enforceable I think of these crazy laws which most forum members would not be concerned about either:

Laws like:

12. You can still get jailed “for offending religious feelings.”
9. Your family members and in-laws who commit theft, swindling, and malicious mischief against you are not criminally liable.
4. Annoying people can be charged for being merely annoying.
1. You can “legally” kill people.