Does Dumaguete Have A 'baywalk' Or A 'boardwalk' For Its Waterfront Promenade?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

While watching Youtube vids, I keep cIoming across people using the term 'Boardwalk'. Is this traditional, an error, or have Easterners from the US relabeled the place.  I don't remember it being called that several years ago while I was there enjoying the city, but I may be in error.

Truth is..... I keep thinking of Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle"... 'No damn cat, no damn cradle', and then about Duma.... no D*** boards to walk on.  :1 (103):

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

While watching Youtube vids, I keep cIoming across people using the term 'Boardwalk'. Is this traditional, an error, or have Easterners from the US relabeled the place.  I don't remember it being called that several years ago while I was there enjoying the city, but I may be in error.

Truth is..... I keep thinking of Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle"... 'No damn cat, no damn cradle', and then about Duma.... no D*** boards to walk on.  :1 (103):

Well yes we have one, it is called "Rizal Boulavard."

post-2148-0-68961700-1450329162_thumb.jp

Not always as empty or as Tidy as the Photo though.

Jack :)

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I'm aware of what you speak of, having trod it many a time. Methinks thou hast missed the mark at what I shot my arrow. In the USA, the term 'boardwalk' refers to a historic ocean front walk that was planked with wooden boards. In the 19th cent. many sidewalks were constructed of wood to rise above and avoid the omnipresent horse dung.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I'm aware of what you speak of, having trod it many a time. Methinks thou hast missed the mark at what I shot my arrow. In the USA, the term 'boardwalk' refers to a historic ocean front walk that was planked with wooden boards. In the 19th cent. many sidewalks were constructed of wood to rise above and avoid the omnipresent horse dung.  

In that case then No! we got a Concrete Boulevard. Wood here, they would just take home to Burn

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
'No damn cat, no damn cradle', and then about Duma.... no D*** boards to walk on. 

It's a bring your own society. You want to walk on boards then you must have your own.   :tiphat:

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Who gives a 'rats' what you walk on, so long as you can see the water and enjoy the view.  There is something soothing about walking along the water front and watching the sea.  No matter whether you are on wood or concrete!

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

We do have our own Dave H who lives in Duma and even has his own website about the city: http://livingindumaguete.city/  Check it out......he goes by the name of Max Veracity and has written some pretty good blogs with all kinds of photos.  

Well done Dave!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have been to Puerto Princesa & Bacolod.  Both have paved walkways that are referred to as the "boardwalk". I think Puerto Princesa's is actually called Baywalk, but the people there will use baywalk and boardwalk interchangeably.   We have a nice brick paved esplanade in Iloilo - I have not yet heard it called a boardwalk... but a row of restaurants next to is named 'the boardwalk'. 

I have seen many videos about Dumaguete calling it a boardwalk, but I saw no boards... it does not seem entirely accurate, but nothing I would spend too much time worrying about

No boards were harmed, or used, in this post.    :tiphat:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
even has his own website about the city:

You're too kind.  Its not actually my site.  I just contribute.  Others are encouraged to contribute but no one else seems inclined to do so and thus it may fade into oblivion.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

even has his own website about the city:

You're too kind.  Its not actually my site.  I just contribute.  Others are encouraged to contribute but no one else seems inclined to do so and thus it may fade into oblivion.

Shame, it's a nice looking site with good postings and designed where anyone can post their own contributions too from the front end. Sort of like their own website.

http://livingindumaguete.city/

• Like 2