Tired Of Manila/cebu Taxi's? Try Uber, Now Fully Legal In Philippines

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Move follows introduction of world's first legal provisions specifically for ride-hailing apps

The Philippines just rolled out the world’s first framework of regulations for app-based ride-hailing, allowing Uber to legally operate anywhere in the country.

Under the regulations, Uber cars are required to be GPS-equipped sedans, SUVs, vans, or utility vehicles less than seven years old. All Uber drivers will be registered with Philippines transportation authorities.

“We are pleased to have collaborated closely with Uber and other tech companies in crafting regulations for a new class of public utility vehicles,” said Jun Abaya, Secretary of the Philippines Department of Transportation and Communication.

Smooth rides are not guaranteed, however, at least not in the capital. Manila’s traffic is ranked among the top ten worst in the world, according to a 2015 Numbeo traffic index.

http://time.com/3854958/uber-legal-philippines-ride-hailing/

I am going to give Uber a try next time I need a taxi in Manila!!

Uber is a ride sharing service that you can use with an app on your iPhone or Android phone. Like eBay both drivers and passengers can rate each other and there is no haggling over price. You pay via your phone and never have to give money to the driver.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

This seems to becoming widely accepted throughout the world, maybe help get decent taxi prices.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This seems to becoming widely accepted throughout the world, maybe help get decent taxi prices.

As a matter of Interest, Has anyone used this service at all? is it as good as they are making out?

As many may know, we don't have a hail taxi Service here in Dumaguete so we may never get the experience.

Jack :unsure:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I can see the need in downtown Manila and in areas like Makati and the Fort, where you can call ahead and have a taxi come get you at a certain time. There are times that it is frustrating to wait for an empty cab to happen by, if you are not in an area such as the BI or NBI headquarters. The times we have taken a cab from those places, a cab came by with in minutes.

For me  us personally, I have never had a problem with either overcharging or poor service. We have taken cabs from our home to the airport, resort world, NBI headquarters, BI once and a few other places. We have taken airport taxis from the airport to our home a few times. We just insure we take a cab that is metered.

I don't know, it might just be me. But I believe that cab drivers are the same the world over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you act like a wide eyed bumpkin right off the farm they will try to take advantage of you. :cheersty:

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

This seems to becoming widely accepted throughout the world, maybe help get decent taxi I fupIrices.

I find taxi prices are not usually a problem in Manila. Finding a good taxi driver ( one whom is not hyped up on shabu or pills to stay awake for his 24 hr shift / does not try to fit his cab in any and every  hole he sees in traffic whether it advances him or not / taxi cab that the brakes do not squeal and the front end does not clunk is a bigger problem. The problem I find with uber is I do not usually carry my credit card with me. Also I would need to upgrade to a better phone, my phone did not want to upload the app. $2900 peso phone just doesn't do it hahaha

• Like 1

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

Paying with your phone would be nice as almost all taxi drivers will play the " I have no change" game. Last week my friend spend the night in Manila before taking a flight to Puerto Princesa. He somehow forgot and arrived late at the airport, taxi fare was 300 P and he only had a 1000 P note ( I know it's stupid) and he had to rush into the airport and leave the taxi without getting any change... He still missed his flight by the way.

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

yes that is a very big problem, they usually keep the roll under the driver seat, I got stuck with only a 500 peso bill for a 160 peso ride, I knew very well the the driver had change, so I waited and he fumbled around finally came up with 2 fifty's so I took it.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

As a matter of Interest, Has anyone used this service at all? is it as good as they are making out?

As many may know, we don't have a hail taxi Service here in Dumaguete so we may never get the experience.

I can't say for sure but I think that Uber will be the taxi service that you do not have in Duma.

the other jp

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I can't say for sure but I think that Uber will be the taxi service that you do not have in Duma.

the other jp

Having a Proper Taxis service in Dumaguete would be nice Uber or not.We have as I am sure many know a Taxi service but only 6 cars and they are mainly private hire only from the Airport. Tricycles are OK day to day but when we have a Function to go to it is just a killer on Dresses and Things. (Mogo! not my dress OK?)

Last month we were 4 people to go to an Area that was just Impractical for a Trike Ride So what do you do. Dig out the family. Flat Battery on two of the vehicles. The Shop owner took us in the End but.................... :lol:

If someone had the Money and with a lot of LTO Arm twisting I am sure a good business would come from it. A proper Taxi service. Yeah! I know that many will say only a Foreigner would pay the fare but we are Reportedly over 4.000 here, if the service was only run early Mornings and Late evening, it would I am sure work.

JMHO

Jack  :)

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
If someone had the Money and with a lot of LTO Arm twisting I am sure a good business would come from it. A proper Taxi service. Yeah! I know that many will say only a Foreigner would pay the fare but we are Reportedly over 4.000 here, if the service was only run early Mornings and Late evening, it would I am sure work.

We do not have a taxi service either in a city of 160,000. We know of 2 drivers that sometimes bring their cars home but they work so erratically that we seldom can avail them. Here, the taxis would not be used for 50p rides across town but for 500p rides to Bacolod or south. Maybe Ceres and the others have a deal with city hall. Yesterday, I saw 5 Ceres buses in a row.

Maybe city hall see that permits from 500 tricycles is better than from 5 taxis. Also if you go near a school in the AM or PM, you will see hundreds of smoking tricycles with 1 kid on each. 60 tricycles equals one bus.

Once a third world...always a third world.

• Like 2