Problems Getting Books From Amazon

dsphilip
Posted
Posted

In early November, I placed an order with Amazon for 45 books. Within ten days, I received notice from them that the books had been sent from the U.S. in five different shipments. So far I haven't seen a single one. They are untraceable when I log on to my Amazon account as they were shipped with no tracking numbers. I have been offered a full refund but would prefer to have the books. Another order for a single book from a private seller in the U.S. has also gone missing. Do books go through Philpost and then through customs at the central post office in Manila?  There are no duties on imported books as far as I'm aware and I think I've picked up much smaller shipments there in the past. So perhaps the delay is just due to an Xmas backlog. On the other hand, I also recently ordered four or five items of clothing from Amazon. These arrived at my apartment building in a matter of days and I paid no duty. Previously, I've ordered clothing from the U.S. and had to pick it up at the CPO and have had to pay duty sometimes a pittance sometimes as much as three quarters of the item's value. Any advice or insights would be appreciated. - Miffed in Malate. TXS.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Wondering who is the shipper on the US side? 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have not ordered books from Amazon, but I have ordered DVD's so I will assume its basically the same deal.

The DVD's did come through PhilPost, usually 4-5 weeks and I had to pick them up at the post office and pay VAT tax on them. Once how ever a shipment got "lost" someplace and took closer to 90 days.

All the packages arrived unopened (the Philpost employees opened them in front of me to determine the VAT) and undamaged.

That's my experience with Amazon.

Good luck :cheersty:

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

In early November, I placed an order with Amazon for 45 books. Within ten days, I received notice from them that the books had been sent from the U.S. in five different shipments. So far I haven't seen a single one. They are untraceable when I log on to my Amazon account as they were shipped with no tracking numbers. I have been offered a full refund but would prefer to have the books. Another order for a single book from a private seller in the U.S. has also gone missing. Do books go through Philpost and then through customs at the central post office in Manila?  There are no duties on imported books as far as I'm aware and I think I've picked up much smaller shipments there in the past. So perhaps the delay is just due to an Xmas backlog. On the other hand, I also recently ordered four or five items of clothing from Amazon. These arrived at my apartment building in a matter of days and I paid no duty. Previously, I've ordered clothing from the U.S. and had to pick it up at the CPO and have had to pay duty sometimes a pittance sometimes as much as three quarters of the item's value. Any advice or insights would be appreciated. - Miffed in Malate. TXS.

You may have ordered through Amazon but was it sold and fulfilled by Amazon? If there is no tracking data I doubt it. Many companies sell products on the Amazon web site, most are good some not. For international shipping Amazon charges estimated custom fees before shipping, it's a part of the bill they won't ship w/o it. At least that has been my experience. Everything has to go through customs at the port of entry before the local carrier gets it. The delay is probably, as you mentioned, due to the holiday.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I have ordered a variety of items from Amazon several times, even a moderate size telescope. All shipments arrived within 10-15 days. I was able to track the shipments via their web site. I wonder if the books were shipped via container ship? All my shipments went via air from US to Manila. The majority of the shipping time was then spent in customs and PH travel from Manila.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I have bought a number of books from Amazon (and am currently awaiting delivery of 3 more orders). The delay of which you speak is nothing out of the ordinary. They come through the post and inevitably end up in the black hole that is the Philippine postal system. If you are lucky they will finally send you a notice that they have arrived and are available to be collected. Take your ID (and a photocopy thereof) to the main post office and prepare for a frustrating wait with the added benefit of numerous mosquito bites. There should be no import tax to pay as books are exempt but of course that can't be guaranteed :1 (103): .

So far no shipment has totally failed to reach me, they just seem to take an inordinate time to work through the system.

• Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

I agree, no tracking number? Not good. In the meantime, I have more than 400K eBooks if that will help you. I too was worried that I wouldn't like an ereader when I have been reading paper books for 65 years but in a couple of days, you couldn't pay me to go back to paper books.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I had no idea Amazon was doing international shipping with the USPS. That is the only way it's going to be handed over to Philpost. Both DHL and FedEx have handled delivery to my door, not handed off to a local outfit like 2go, LBC, etc. You pay more but you get it. And they use tracking numbers.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You know, it just occurred to me, that with this topic it pretty much wraps up life for an expat here in the Philippines in one simple topic.

Yes, Amazon is available. Delivery can be as fast as in your home country (usually) but you will have to pay a premium for it. If a person is not willing to pay, he or she will just have to wait for it, deal with agencies that are not as efficient as a person is accustomed to, and be unsure of an exact delivery date. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE! :thumbsup:  :cheersty: .

• Like 2