First Timers And Your Driver's License

Mike S
Posted
Posted

From the LTO website ..... apparently if you are a foreigner and apply for a drivers license here in the Philippines you must now prove (no idea how) that you will remain here for 1 year ...... 

QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS A. Qualifications: 1. Must be at least eighteen (18) years old; 2. Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle; 3. Must be able to read and write Filipino, English or the applicable local dialect; 4. Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application; and 5. In addition, for foreigners. the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one {1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one {1) year from date of application. B. Documentary Requirements for the Issuance of a New NPDL/Conversion:

1. Duly accomplished Application for Driver's License (AOL); 2. Valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days from date of application; 3. Medical Certificate issued by any licensed practicing physician stating that the applicant is physically and mentally frt to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise stating his/her impairment; and 4. In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry of at least one {1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by the NSO.

In the event that the applicant is a holder of a valid Foreign Driver's License, the applicant may present the original and photocopy of Foreign Driver's License, if not in English language, original and photocopy of official English translation from the local Embassy o~suing country, instead of an SP.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It will be interesting to see how this is enforced.  It will also be interesting to find out if they require that proof at the time of renewing a Philippine driver's license (they expire every 3 years).

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

From the LTO website ..... apparently if you are a foreigner and apply for a drivers license here in the Philippines you must now prove (no idea how) that you will remain here for 1 year ...... 

QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS A. Qualifications: 1. Must be at least eighteen (18) years old; 2. Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle; 3. Must be able to read and write Filipino, English or the applicable local dialect; 4. Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application; and 5. In addition, for foreigners. the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one {1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one {1) year from date of application. B. Documentary Requirements for the Issuance of a New NPDL/Conversion:

1. Duly accomplished Application for Driver's License (AOL); 2. Valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days from date of application; 3. Medical Certificate issued by any licensed practicing physician stating that the applicant is physically and mentally frt to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise stating his/her impairment; and 4. In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry of at least one {1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by the NSO.

In the event that the applicant is a holder of a valid Foreign Driver's License, the applicant may present the original and photocopy of Foreign Driver's License, if not in English language, original and photocopy of official English translation from the local Embassy o~suing country, instead of an SP.

Triple WTF?  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I suppose you could show a lease agreement... however I built my own house.  That does not really prove I will stay 1 year though, does it?

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It will also be interesting to find out if they require that proof at the time of renewing a Philippine driver's license (they expire every 3 years).

A friend has had this Happen just only last week, he went to the UK for Treatment and on his Return he went to Renew his Licence

Because he had a new Entry date ( he is on 9a with Extensions) they said that he can't Renew it  because he had only been back 8 days

This of Course is ridiculous, He has been here over 11 years but is single, the LTO said that the New Rule is a Foreigner must submit his passport to verify the Entry date and therefore the duration of the visit. What would worry me is if they don't/won't give you back your own license so at least you could drive another 90 days as a new entrant. 

Seems that they just do not want to give a licence to what they class as a Tourist. Now, anyone on a 13a will be OK.

Yet more bureaucracy from Manila.

This Guy is an Embassy Warden and has taken it up with the Embassy as somewhere it is not right but then, do any other Counties issue a licence to a Tourist? 

Long Stay 9a's  should be looked at differently But......................................

Just my Thoughts and HO

Jack :rolleyes:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
What would worry me is if they don't/won't give you back your own license

It was my experience that they only photocopy your out of country license and do not take it.  Problem is, after all these years my Canadian license has long expired.  Which makes me wonder if I can drive on a Philippine license when I go back to Canada.

do any other Counties issue a licence to a Tourist? 

I don't know of any other country that allows tourists to stay 3 years but countries that allow stays of up to 6 months seem to have no problem with people from first world countries using their driver's license while touristing.  Here is the rule from BC Canada:

What's an International Driving Permit?

A Canadian International Driving Permit is a translation of your current valid licence and when accompanied by that licence legally allows you to drive for up to one year in other countries. These permits are not valid in all countries, so check with 

BCAA before you travel.

Edit:  On a related note, I took a rode trip to Bais yesterday morning and was stopped 2 times by PNP who only wanted to see my driver's license.  They had a couple of foreigners on motorcycles stuck there with them.  I later saw the same fellows pass me so they must have come to an "arrangement" but this looks like a money making opportunity to some  :1 (103): 

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It was my experience that they only photocopy your out of country license and do not take it.  Problem is, after all these years my Canadian license has long expired.  Which makes me wonder if I can drive on a Philippine license when I go back to Canada.

I would have thought so, I have an ex Work Colleague that drove in the UK on his Filipino for 6 months before he changed it to a UK one.

I don't know of any other country that allows tourists to stay 3 years but countries that allow stays of up to 6 months seem to have no problem with people from first world countries using their driver's license while touristing.  

Now this is my Friends complaint to them Look I have been here 11+ years ( Legally with all my Stamps in this and my Old passport) so you can see I stay over one year. Yes Sir! but this time you are here only 8 days. They really are just using the Written Thing as Gospel without doing anything Constructive in my view. BTW is this an RA or just an LTO Directive? Because I can see a very large Uproar from many different Embassy's on this one.

Time I think for a new Immigration Classification to cover long term Stayers, they give 3 years stay and an almost Instant return for another 3 years then throw this at us.

What will happen to all the Foreign dads that are the Only drivers in the house, School runs and Such AH! of course silly me, we have to Hire a Driver, Job Creation springs to mind OR a lot more Unlicensed Drivers on the road at Their Doing.

3 moves Forward and 2 moves back! :no:

Jack :)

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I suppose you could show a lease agreement... however I built my own house.  That does not really prove I will stay 1 year though, does it?

You failed to read the small print. " If a foreigner and built your own property, you should take 6 broken bricks that were rejected during construction.  Such bricks must be inspected and certified as house bricks" - In triplicate.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Broken bricks are not rejected... they just get an extra coating of cement ha ha...

One of these days I really need to go get a license.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

It seems that, as usual, local offices interpret the rules to suit themselves. Last month I went to get a Phils licence based on my UK one. I completed the form and was told to go and get a medical at the adjacent office and return to the issuing office, which I did. They then looked at my passport and told me, as I had only been here this time about two months, that I need to be here at least 90 days before I can apply. I showed them my ACR-i card which was issued 10 months earlier, but to no avail. I need to go back after 90 days since last entry. Another wasted day in the Philipines! To add insult to injury, the medical certificate which cost 200 php is only valid for 15 days so I need to get another one of those too!

Ken

• Like 3