First Timers And Your Driver's License

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

If you lose your license (at the LTO) and get a replacement when you get home, where is the problem?

The problem is, why do they need to take my home of origin license.  I am not immigrating to the country, just retiring here.  You are right, I can do that, but why should I have to?  There is no logic in them taking my Oz license.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

The problem is, why do they need to take my home of origin license.  I am not immigrating to the country, just retiring here.  You are right, I can do that, but why should I have to?  There is no logic in them taking my Oz license.

I agree with you but can't change what they do here, can only adapt and overcome...

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I am not immigrating to the country, just retiring here.

:89: Ron mate, isn't that the same thing :smile: I mean we all have to go to Immigration. once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
snowridr
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/31/2017 at 10:15 AM, Jack Peterson said:

You have to be in the Country for 1 (one) month before you can apply Then it is just follow the route Licence application Medical & Drug Test & pay + surrender you licence you want to Convert. On the in and out thing Mike S mentioned, they are now aware that people come & Go so they have to look to see how long they were away for

I just got my PI license in January (I'm 47a2 visa) from the Binan, Laguna (South of Manila) office.  We did not have to surrender our US or Canadian Driver licenses nor take a drug test.  We had a Filipino from our work to assist us through the process - still took over three hours - the place was pretty busy.

Edited by snowridr
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
davewe
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know whether the Balikbayan Privilege stamped in the passport counts as proof that I will be in the country a year? It may be a few months before we lease a house after we arrive.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
Just now, davewe said:

Does anyone know whether the Balikbayan Privilege stamped in the passport counts as proof that I will be in the country a year? It may be a few months before we lease a house after we arrive.

It has worked for some but not for others. Worth a try but not guaranteed.

• Like 3

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

I read somewhere that theyre stopping tourist  (tourist visa) from getting a Phil driving licence. Is this true?

robert k
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, topcat72m said:

I read somewhere that theyre stopping tourist  (tourist visa) from getting a Phil driving licence. Is this true?

Yes.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have a PH drivers license but it has expired. I wonder if I will be able to renew it on my return without having to provide proof of residence for the coming year.

popeye72 
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, robert k said:

Yes.

So if i was to live there on a tourist visa i cant drive. That sucks.