First Timers And Your Driver's License

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I went to get my driving licence today, having had a previous abortive attempt last month. Thanks to the heads-up received on this thread about the new regulations, I went forarmed with a copy of the lease of my house. It was accepted without question. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, due to the fact there are no licence card blanks, I have a scrappy piece of paper as a licence instead.

Ken

Proof of YMMV. Others may like to know what office you went to and hopefully have the same luck.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
do I have to get an international drivers license

An International Drivers license is only useful if your license is not in the language of the country you are visiting.  In this case a license that is in English (as yours is) is all you need.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I went to get my driving licence today, having had a previous abortive attempt last month. Thanks to the heads-up received on this thread about the new regulations, I went forarmed with a copy of the lease of my house. It was accepted without question. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, due to the fact there are no licence card blanks, I have a scrappy piece of paper as a licence instead.

Ken

Proof of YMMV. Others may like to know what office you went to and hopefully have the same luck.

It was my local LTO in Cagayan de Oro. The lady processing my application was initially a little uncertain as to the requirements. She produced the new official guidance document and asked to see a valid 12 month visa. I told her that would not be possible as I could only get a two month extension, but showed her my house lease. She called her supervisor who said that would be fine, and my licence was duly processed.

Ken

• Like 3

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

Ken

It was my local LTO in Cagayan de Oro. The lady processing my application was initially a little uncertain as to the requirements. She produced the new official guidance document and asked to see a valid 12 month visa. I told her that would not be possible as I could only get a two month extension, but showed her my house lease. She called her supervisor who said that would be fine, and my licence was duly processed.

Ken

As with a lot of things here, YMMV indeed! I asked about the lease (I have a 2 yr) and was denied. Was told it had to be a visa. Maybe they just don't like me?

On a brighter note. I have gotten the director to agree to issue me a license IF I get a brand new Balikbayan AND I see him within 2-3 days of receiving it. So the search is on for the cheapest round trip destination I can find. Any suggestions?

GregZ
Posted
Posted

4. Must be a holder of a valid SP issued at least thirty (30) days prior to the application;

What is SP?

SP is a student permit to learn to drive on.
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Glad I got my license last year, on my birthday, the day my US license was to expire. God willing, I will be back before my Philippine license expires. :thumbsup:

I am currently driving in the US with my Philippines license :lol: .

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Glad I got my license last year, on my birthday, the day my US license was to expire. God willing, I will be back before my Philippine license expires. :thumbsup:

I am currently driving in the US with my Philippines license :lol: .

I had to do the same thing. Drive in the US on my Philippines DL. Since I am now back in the US on a more permanent basis I got my US state DL renewed. But since it had been over 6 months since it had expired I had to do the written and driving exams again. I don't know how long you can drive in the US with the Philippines DL before your state will frown upon it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is a link to the LTO web site where it has a list of scenarios and the docs required.  Some of these seem to differ from some of the discussions here.  If appropriate, it might be prudent to take the list with you to LTO.

http://www.lto.gov.ph/lto-advisory/179-driver-s-license-supporting-per-transactions-as-per-latest-administrative-order

Renewals have a different set of requirements and should not be a problem.  I hope.  I'm going for renewal this week.   :thumbsup:

Also, you should be aware that there are a lot of fake or unofficial LTO websites.  I believe that this is the valid one.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I'm going for renewal this week

Please report back OMW. It should be useful :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
But since it had been over 6 months since it had expired I had to do the written and driving exams again.

And we think they do some things here not right in the Phils regarding useless requirements ..... funny how you can forget how to drive after 6 months requiring you to take a written and driving test ..... :rolleyes:

:cheersty:

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 3