Senior Id Card To Foreigners ?

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
But some of us look way too young and handsome for that to work.  I know because I hear that all the time.     

:unsure: Who are they speaking of Mike?

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Curious, if you don't mind what is the ID you show?

Usually my stateside drivers license 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When paying my electric bill last week I tried to stand in the Senior Citizens line and the guard said I cannot.  He said it is for Senior Citizens only.  My angry side flashed a bit and I showed him my Philippine driver's license to prove I was over 60 and he let me use the Senior's line.  I was annoyed because it was not about getting any kind of discount, it was about seniors not having to stand in line as long as healthy young bucks.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Curious, if you don't mind what is the ID you show?

My ACR card.

• 1 month later...
tohopko
Posted
Posted

I got a Philippine drivers license and it gets me a 10% discount in some restaurants and clubs but not all.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 1/22/2016 at 8:54 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

This reminds me of a time in a small cafe in the small town of Naval Biliran when one of the local dignitaries came in for a coffee.  One of our more vocal expats accosted him and demanded to know why all the other expats in the coffee shop had Senior Citizen cards signed by this dignitary but HE was unable to get one.  "B" was livid and the rest of the expats in the cafe were hiding their faces but the local fellow was calm and smiling throughout as listened to the tirade and promised to "look into it".  Poor fellow left without his morning coffee.

So what happened?  "B" never got a senior's card and neither did any other expats in that town for a long time after that episode.  For tho$e who ju$t cannot read between the line$ you are not permitted to have a senior CITIZEN's card here as you are not a citizen.  Complaining about it will simply ruin it for others who slip through the cracks, but that seems to make some people happy so carry on

Got it Dave, Maybe by the time I get there it will be available.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I personally feel we will never be entitled to a SC card because seniors here can get a small cash payment from the Brgy's that they live in .... I have heard anywhere from 500 to 1000 pesos per month so it seems unlikely we qualify for this plus I believe that like when you buy medicines the place like Mercury drugs sends in the card ID and the amount of the discount and is then reimbursed by the government and as we don't pay taxes other than VAT it will never be approved and rightly so .... I mean most if not all of us make twice or three times as much as the average local and really don't need these little hand outs .... if a person really depends on this trivial amount of money to be able to keep living here in the Phils than you should sit down and reevaluate why you are here ..... there are a lot more bigger issues of things that I can't have or do than for me to worry about a SC card .... JMHO

As to groceries there are different booklet amounts issued depending on the size of your family (I think from 600-1000p per week) kinda like food stamps in the US .... every week I see this American dragging this poor ol' woman (and no it isn't his wife or girlfriend as she looks to be in her 70's) and 2-3 kids and a helper to the grocery store so she can use her SC card to help pay for the food and he appears as proud as a peacock standing in the seniors line .... kinda like the reverse of the norm here in the Phils .... :hystery: .... anyway the healthcare benefit would be nice ..... but again it is not expected .... IMHO

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike S said:

we will never be entitled to a SC card

I agree.  I think  we foreigners are also not entitled to the free PhilHealth for seniors.

• Like 2

Ynot
Posted
Posted

I tend to agree, even on the smallest budget we probably would be viewed as very well off.  So obtaining a Seniors card and trying to take advantage of benefits we are not entitled to is not right.  I think in Australia, access to the Social Security system will change overtime.  Only those in desperate need will be able to access it, as the country can not afford to maintain the current system.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I was at MacDonalds once for breakfast. I got in the wrong line. I was in the line for seniors,PWD and pregnant women. When I realised this I was going to get out and get in another line. There was a foreigner behind me and asked if I had an ACR card which I did. He said that I could use it and I did, it was accepted. So, I thanked him butI've never tried it again. So, I guess that some cashiers don't care or do not know. 

• Like 1