Ex Pat Neighbor Of Vlogger Murdered In Cebu

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

All good points. Thanks for the advice. I do not do any of them. I'm very street wise and know how to behave. I respect others and they seem to like me.

I read an article here about a month ago where a woman hired 2 men to kill a neighbor over a land dispute. Murder for hire in Davao.

I wear shorts and casual short sleeve shirts and sandals most of the time.

No jewelry on me or my wife.Just our wedding rings and my watch.

The wife has very humble and respectable relatives.

My wife has handymen that she knows personally to do any work for us.

Finally, I don't go to bars. I don't drink alcoholic beverages except for wine occasionally with my meals.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

V-logger seems like a sincere guy.  As for the murdered one, hard to tell if he brought this on himself....or was correct in his assessment on the trustworthiness of the locals.  Probably a little of both.  Either way, he paid the ultimate price in proving his point. RIP.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1) don't piss off the locals-the really bad ones don't see any value in a life and don't know how to handle emotionally being told off 2) don't flaunt your wealth 3) don't hook up with a Filipina that may have a history of trouble-or has a family that seems like trouble 4) business activities dealing directly with locals can and does get sketchy at times 5) don't hang out at times and in places where locals drink whereas it just feels uncomfortable

I'm going to watch the video now but these 5 points are very good ones for those who want to thrive here.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

1) don't piss off the locals-the really bad ones don't see any value in a life and don't know how to handle emotionally being told off 2) don't flaunt your wealth 3) don't hook up with a Filipina that may have a history of trouble-or has a family that seems like trouble 4) business activities dealing directly with locals can and does get sketchy at times 5) don't hang out at times and in places where locals drink whereas it just feels uncomfortable

I'm going to watch the video now but these 5 points are very good ones for those who want to thrive here.

:thumbsup:  Totally Agree here. Back to what we have said before Don't be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing,to the wrong Person/s. One thing we most of us have that can be lacking at times in others, is Common Sense

Jack  :)

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I never go anywhere really on my own if its not with my wife its the brother in law,

when we go out I always wear jeans,I dont go out drinking I only drink at home or at a cousins across the road.

when it comes to dealing with legal stuff the wife insists on being with me, due to the fact that us expats are seen as a 

good source of income, even to the local civic centre employees ! espec the building permit guys !!

we always use our regular handyman who is 100% honest and works hard.

when we go shopping our main 3 stores are Robinsons, Waltermart, and South Supermarket.

I am well known in our local Robinsons as we are there normally every other day.

I feel safe here and we often get stopped by the local police ! :no:  but only because the one of the wifes late brothers

was in the local police and then the special forces unit and the local police ask the wife if everything is ok !

But I know its always best to be on your guard as you never know !!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

If a foreigner asked me for my wifi password, I wouldn't have a problem trying to avoid them in future, believe me. I can respect being frugal but asking for a private persons wifi password crosses the line from frugal to parasite.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I know on my first visit to the Philippines, meeting a young lady there-spending time in the city (CDO), riding jeepneys, strolling the mall and wet markets, meeting and having small talk with locals, my guard at the time was completely down. I was not educated in with regard to the safety side of carrying myself as a foreigner. The country seemed to have a sort of seductive (not just referring to the obvious gorgeous women) quality about it in the relaxed fun, friendly way that was missing back in the US. This is why I wish more guys going over should heed advice from you ExPats that should be taken very seriously. Sure..have fun, enjoy life..with forewarned knowledge at all times.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I know on my first visit to the Philippines, meeting a young lady there-spending time in the city (CDO), riding jeepneys, strolling the mall and wet markets, meeting and having small talk with locals, my guard at the time was completely down. I was not educated in with regard to the safety side of carrying myself as a foreigner. The country seemed to have a sort of seductive (not just referring to the obvious gorgeous women) quality about it in the relaxed fun, friendly way that was missing back in the US. This is why I wish more guys going over should heed advice from you ExPats that should be taken very seriously. Sure..have fun, enjoy life..with forewarned knowledge at all times.

Situational awareness and common sense should be practiced everywhere, by everyone, every day. New York, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Manila, CDO, Dumaguete, the places change but the need to be aware does not.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Thanks for introducing me to this guys videos. I watched a few more and it looks like he lives in a very modest income area but not a slum. It definitely did not look like there was much to do around there / to attract foreigners. If what he says is accurate his expenses for December including Christmas gifts was under $700 for a family of 3. Maybe the low cost is drawing the wrong kind of expat or maybe he is just experiencing a statistical anomaly in the foreigners he says he is meeting.