Manila Expats Groups???

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Jake,

Been really busy of late but still following what's going on here and chiming in when I have something I can reply to.... Just give me advance notice when you're in town my friend so I can get a good rest before the San migs flow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whereabouts in Manila are you or will you be located Jerry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, Judy and I are still in southern California.  We're trying to save up some airfare and hopefully within a couple years we will visit Judy's sister in Makati (Bel Air area).  In fact, I would love to visit all you guys from northern Luzon to Davao.  It's definitely on my bucket list, high priority.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thanks everybody for the replies. I'd like to have regular meet up to get acquainted with Expats, especially those close to me as well as share information about adjusting to life in the Philippines. I have met other expats at the Immigration Department but they live a long way away. I think it would be great to met at the local mall and do a movie together or dinner. I'd like for my Sweet Rea to become  familiar with other Americans, especially us crazy Texans.  I will keep every one itaboes outut activities Rea and I plan and send invites out in advance.

Manila is a big place. What area do you live and how far would you travel?

• Like 2

Petey
Posted
Posted

I don't know of any clubs or meet ups in Manila.  Most of the expats i see are not interested in communicating, and just get on with whatever there doing.  Maybe its my stern look that scares people :(

Traffic will always be the main issue for getting around for meets in Manila. As a previous poster said "a few K will take a couple of hours".  For me personally I'm far enough away from places like Pasig or Makati, but inconveniently far. Eastwood is a nice place to eat out. Very clean and vibrant looking.  Quite close, and accessible from most places.  Global City ( Taguig ) is nice, Market Market! has some nice restaurants. Really like how that area is turning out. Also no color coding and cheapest TAX in Manila.

Anything EDSA way i would avoid like the plague. Some nice places, but that road is dire.

• Like 2

Rain44
Posted
Posted

So it seems there really isn't any meet groups to play billiards and bs with around manila. I also just posted the same question at another topic here haha I think manila is just not friendly. The local people and the expats seems to be standoffish maybe it's because it's a large city or too much hussle and bustle. When you do try to be friendly and have a conversation they get suspicious. Locals and expats alike. More so local. What happened to the "Filipinos are the friendliest people" slogan. I can walk the streets or malls the whole day and not one person will say hello. So much for "friendly"

• Like 3

Rain44
Posted
Posted

Anything EDSA way i would avoid like the plague. Some nice places, but that road is dire.

Unfortunately I am along edsa. Crap. So many people and a lonely world. Hanging out with the girls is okay but sometimes I need to be around fluent English speakers too. The locals just don't get the jokes and topics I'm into. Drives me nuts.

• Like 4

Petey
Posted
Posted

I've driven thru EDSA more times than i care to remember, its not the distance, its just the time it takes to get there. There is SM Mega Mall and Robinsons Gallarea that are the sort of main focal points in EDSA. Mega Mall is pretty decent with lots of places to dine out ( Dads World Buffet is pretty good ) and there are coffee shops and what not. Not sure if there is a billiard table bar or bowling etc. But a Mall is just a focal point to really shop and not frequent as a social environment i.e ex-pat meet.  Like Malls around the world they want you in and out as fast as possible.

Regarding the quote "Filipinos are the friendliest people". I have a hard time also in understanding where this came from and who gave that quote. I don't expect random people to hi-5 me in the street or to make random conversations with me.  The only time i find that people are ( for the want of a better word ) willing to communicate with me is when I'm actually ordering food, buying something etc.  But this is business and totally understand it.  In my local area we were the 4th family to move in to our subdivision, we spoke to 2 locals as a brief introduction, and that was it. Only ever small talk. When an American moved in over the road from me we actually spoke quite a bit, until ( issues ) came about and i needed to get him to the Embassy and then help him in getting back to America ( long story ).  Once he went back home now it feels lonely again not having an English speaking person to talk to.

Manila is just like any other big city. Lots of people. Nothing but emptiness. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I need to be around fluent English speakers too. The locals just don't get the jokes and topics I'm into. Drives me nuts.

This is one of the things that has been discussed before here. One thing about living in the Philippines, unless a person happens to work for a western company or live in an area like Makati or BGC where lots of expats live. Expats, (those who are worth getting to know like the members here) are so few and far between and with the challenges already mentioned here, IMHO a guy must be comfortable in his own skin here. If a guy is the type that like to drop by the local bar or pub on the way home from work, have a beer and chat with the guys, or looks forward to hanging out with his buddies on a Sunday morning watching the game, he really might not be happy here.

Just my observation.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Petey
Posted
Posted

I need to be around fluent English speakers too. The locals just don't get the jokes and topics I'm into. Drives me nuts.

This is one of the things that has been discussed before here.

With all due respect. If it has been discussed before, how come its never gone any further than discussion? Is there just no interest, are people fearful of meeting others off a forum? Sure it can be a lot of work in coordinating a meet, but not impossible.

Honestly. Probably the best way to meet or communicate with other foreigners is via PM here and when ready to take it 1 step further then text message and so on. People have to have mutual interests outside of the English Language and the fact they live in Philippines.

I think I've said it before, I'm not interested in bars and KTV bars and the like. If people want to talk to me, i want to give them my undivided attention and having excessive noise can be very distracting.

• Like 2

Rain44
Posted
Posted

Seems most members are in the Cebu area. One thing is for certain. I'm glad to have this forum amidst this urban jungle :)

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Seems most members are in the Cebu area.

I would say that the majority are more familiar with the Cebu area, or closer to Cebu than Manila, but we are such a scattered bunch and Cebu is in the center of Philippines so that would be expected.

Is there just no interest, are people fearful of meeting others off a forum? Sure it can be a lot of work in coordinating a meet, but not impossible.

Having tried to organize expats in a few different locations around Philippines I can confirm that it is possible, (as possible as :hystery:   herding cats).  So if you or anyone else wants to use this forum or this thread to try to organize a Manila group then I wish you all the best of luck.  As you say, it is possible.  

• Like 2