Naga City, Bicol, Camarines Sur Review

bows00
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear this.  This is another example that concludes that picking a location in the Philippines require some research with boots on the ground.  I had a similar experience when I visited Cebu - my expectations were a bit too high maybe?  But I never look back or regret any of my visits because that is the process of discovering what I WANT for my future home. 

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Yeah Ron! Naga was high on my list before I found out about all the problems. If the wife makes you live there I suppose you just have to stick it out. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I certainly will cross that place off my list of prospective places to visit when considering my move there-thanks Ron!

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I am a couple of hours away in Daet city, much the same as Naga but at least we have the beach, which begs the question "what are we looking for"?

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Further to my last post let me share my views on why I like "Daet City"

I have already mentioned the beach, on the foreshore of the beach there is a couple of good restaurants near where the airfield is, not used anymore.

There has been several attempts to start other restaurants but they keep on getting blown away, something to do with typhoons that frequent the  area, oh well.

The city itself has a lot of schools and colleges, a few good restaurants and a good local market selling fruit and vegetables. If you want good seafood you have to get to the market early because there is not a lot there, as all the good seafood goes to Manila.

Of course it wouldn't be the Philippines if there wasn't tri-cycles everywhere, I heard at last count there was 6 thousand of the bloody things, which is good for the fuel consumption of my Nissan because I can only do about 30mph around town, such is life when the roads are congested with the bloody things, there I said it again, bloody things (another one for good measure).

The people there are friendly, I have never had any grief there, "touch wood".

What Daet city doesn't have:-

Taxis - there is not one there, only the bloody tri-cycles!

Road rage, unless you include me after a few san migs trying to drive home amongst the "you know what" I will leave that alone.

After 6 p.m. the place shuts down, seriously, there is hardly anyone around, I reckon everyone is at home making babies, I have never seen so many little children and pregnant women in one place.

I heard there a few night clubs in the place but I never have bothered to venture out and look for them, too old for that.

No constant supply of electricity, guaranteed brown outs every other day.

No malls, or at least no big malls, there is one place with a lot of shops, does that count for a mall?

When walking around I used to get called "Joe" a lot, so I invested in one of those aussie hats with the kangaroo on it, now the locals don't know what to call me.

I like it in Daet city, because my Philippina girlfriend is there with her family and they treat me real good.

Cheers everyone,

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

I saw video of the Daet beach and it looked good but had waves under a meter high and was practically deserted. I suppose it is a bad area for storms and better safe than sorry. The SM market looked somewhat small, I couldn't call it a mall. I think it is the same everywhere that you need to get to the market early to get anything above average because later in the day everything has already been picked over.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I can HONESTLY say. Don't even consider it. Scratch it off your list. This place is the dumps.

Thats one way to keep any other expats from invading your space.   :)

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I saw in another thread that some folks were familiar with Naga Cebu but not Naga City Bicol. My Asawa and I recently in Dec relocated here to Naga City, Bicol. So I thought I would provide some info on this little known community for those looking to relocate to the Philippines and reseaching places to stay.

I can HONESTLY say. Don't even consider it. Scratch it off your list. This place is the dumps. There are open sewers and trash everywhere! Squatters on every corner. The traffic blows. Takes 10 min to go 2 blocks. Hospitals? Forget it. You'll die on the way there. (See previous traffic comment) Malls? What mall? The best restaurant in town is Mc Do. The locals would rather give you the bird than smile at you. Same with the few expats here. Beaches? We don't need no stinkin' beaches. There's nothing here to see, nothing here to do. The rent is really high. The price of land astronomical! I think there's more roosters and dogs here, per capita, than any other place in the Philippines. Videoke on every block 24/7. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. You'll thank me later!

So why do I live here? Because Asawa told me I had to. Woe is me!

SINCERELY,

Ron

Sorry I made a mistake in an earlier post regarding Ron's latest post on Naga.  I was mixed up with another post on Naga some days ago. Apologies.  Following your last post Ron, your 'goolies; should be safe.

• Like 1