Teaching Jobs For Qualified Teachers?

obda
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

I am relatively new to the forum. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

I am American, 25 years teaching English in schools, fully accredited from major universities - and I only say that to differentiate from fly-by-night online TESOL bakcpackers. I've taught every course and angle a high school teacher can teach, and some Freshman college courses.

I don't really need the money, but I fear boredom in retirement.

Are there any opportunities?

Now, I suspect some will say if you don't need the money, why would want to do it? The answer is I like it, and I'm pretty good at it.

So my second question is whether it would mess up my retirement visa status?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
So my second question is whether it would mess up my retirement visa status?

There are lots who do as you suggest but that question about the retirement visa status is a good one.  Lets hope we get a good answer from one of our more knowledgeable members.

I expect you will find so much to do in your retirement here that you will give up on the idea of working for a paycheck.  Perhaps working as a volunteer would suit your needs and not mess up your  visa.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Ahh  the astute Reverend Dave nails it again.

Op the fact that you want to teach because you like it, is good enough reason.  My partner is a qualified (dual degree Philippines) teacher but will not get a  start when we come back to Phils.  So I assume you are mature age by virtue of your experience and this may be a stopper, but  am not an authority.  

There are so many qualified teachers in Phils who can't get a teaching post, I would suspect you may struggle.

Dave's suggestion of volunteer work may be a possibility.

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Salutations obda,

I retired from a long career in teaching, with decent pension in hand, in the late 90's. The summer prior to my last contract year, I went to the Univ. of Seattle's TESOL school to obtain a minimal certificate (9 or 12 upper div. crdts.) with the intent of perhaps teaching abroad or at least having that option as an alternative form of potential income insurance. 

I returned to the Midwest where I grew up and enjoyed some nice winters. There I discovered that despite the published plea for subsitute teachers, the applicants were treated as valueless. The offered recompense was also....

As I further discovered through personal contacts with TESOL/TEFOL (teaching English as a second language/teaching English as a foreign language) teachers working in Korea, Japan, Taiwan and here in Baguio..... that the pay and contracts weren't what I was looking for since I didn't need the money and could have a much more enjoyable life just living in those countries independently if I so chose. Those working there were proud of the fact that they could save $1,000/month after expenses.

I think its a nice was to make a living while immersing yourself in an exciting new culture, but it came with too many limitations on my time and flexibility. If I wanted to work and make money, better to go back to what I had just escaped from. It was a non sequiter.

If you love teaching and want to continue, my advice is to either do some independent, free-lance tutoring, or contact member Papa Carl (or read his recent to wit:, thread posting) for opportunities in on-line teaching for certified and experienced English teachers like yourself. Its probably a canned program that requires you to teach to script/method that you might not like doing.... I don't really know, but let me know if you've a mind to share what you discover.

Once you leave the corral and get a chance to run free, you seldom what to be saddled again. At least that has been my experience.

In the words of Bartleby the Scrivner, "I prefer not to." Thats become my mantra during retirement and in the latter years left to me here on earth.

As you move up the age ladder, time rather than money, becomes the dominating factor of your life. The older you get, the less subjective value is found in additional wealth, once your basic needs are satisfied. Money is nice, but good health and freedom is better. Thats why I still lift weights. :tiphat:

• Like 2

obda
Posted
Posted

I returned to the Midwest where I grew up and enjoyed some nice winters.

When I find you, we'll start a euchre club. I grew up in Michigan, but moved to the Pacific Northwest for work. While our winters are comparatively mild, I don't want to endure them much anymore. However, we have fantastic summer.

I am certified ELL/ESL, went through a program at Washington State for it, and taught i in public schools. But I agree, I don't want to be in a language school. I did that in Korea in the 1990's.

And to you, since you know, summer break is like retirement practicum. I like it. I like it a lot. I suspect you are right. And perhaps I am feeling the pressure as a teacher in my fifties from a significantly younger faculty and administrative cadre to get out.

Yhank you for your kind and insightful words Manfromthecoldland.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
snowridr
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to add on to this thread since it seemed appropriate here:

If you are looking to work full time and you have a valid teaching certificate from a US state you can get a job in an international school, and make more than most people teaching ESL.  Just understand not all "international" schools here are true international schools and even then the pay may not be what you are accustomed to in the US.   There are some companies that perform recruiting for international schools and they host job fairs in Bangkok, London, Boston, Iowa, San Francisco, Atlanta. Keep in mind there can be age limits set by schools or informally, whether it is legal or not it does happen.

Companies you can look at are Search Associates and International School Services and a less expensive option is TIEonline.  These companies are not free but can be worth your time.  A good forum to read is internationalschoolreview.com as well.

(I do not receive any remuneration from any place I listed. We used one of the companies I listed in our job seeking process last year)

RBM
Posted
Posted

First would be obtaining a clearance from the BI.

Remember reading some time ago about retired German professors teaching volunteering in Manila just share their knowledge. This drew some resentment from other teachers and they were actually kept in BI detention center. I  cannot remember eventual out come.

• 9 months later...
allancomeau
Posted
Posted

Maybe do something with a NGO that is teacher related?

Or teach online

Or write some textbooks

Or create a website related to a subject

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 2/21/2017 at 10:30 AM, snowridr said:

If you are looking to work full time and you have a valid teaching certificate from a US state you can get a job in an international school, and make more than most people teaching ESL.  Just understand not all "international" schools here are true international schools and even then the pay may not be what you are accustomed to in the US.

Yesterday at my daughter's school Christmas party, I met an American lady who teaches at Brent Int'l school in Subic, along with her husband.  They initially had a 2 year contract but have now stayed 7 years as they like it here.

This is the second teacher I met from Brent whose spouse also worked there.  So I guess they give some preference to qualified couple teachers who will come together as a family.

I suspect that Brent teachers make good money, based on the high tuition I see there.

allancomeau
Posted
Posted (edited)

Schools prefer couples; cheaper accommodation, easier to fill the ranks, cheaper/easier to recruit, and easier to handle

Brent's Mission is: Brent Schools, in a Christian ecumenical environment in the Philippines, are committed to develop individual students as responsible global citizens and leaders in their respective communities, with a multicultural and international perspective, and equipped for entry to colleges and universities throughout the world.

Edited by allancomeau
  • Like 1