Poverty In The Philippines (How Does It Affect Us?)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Going abroad or going to sea are by far the simplest ways to get ahead, if you were born on the wrong side of the tracks.

I do have friends who have "made it" into the upper middle classes without doing either of those things, but they had something in common - parents who were pretty determined.

Often, but not always, one parent or grandparent was ethnically Chinese...

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I would say the politicians as it is they who control the education system. It seems to me a system to keep people down rather than getting the most from the population.I was talking to some people on Saturday and we were discussing getting to the top here.The general consensus was that people from the lower classes would not be allowed to rise too high through the classes.

Are people ever allowed to rise far anywhere? People who inherited wealth in the US sneer at people who earned their own wealth. As if inheriting it is more noble than making it yourself?

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

In the US thousands of millionaires are created every year.  They are encouraged because most here know that money is not a zero sum game.  You do not have to take money away from others to create your own.  Poverty predominates where this is not understood, where governments and people do not understand this and would see you fail just because

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi Steve,

Just the way it is in Phils but it is all relevant to the cost of living (basically).  My SO is a dual degree teacher from  Phils working in Thailand for the past 8 plus years.  She put her 2 children thru Uni (nursing and accounting) at great sacrifice to herself.  I sometimes wonder whether the two children actually appreciate or understand the sacrifices she has made for them.

RNs from Philippines cannot go to Australia and just get a job there in hospitals.  They have to undertake another year of additional study an most start in Aged Care Facilities at lesser wages.  They then have their qualifications recognised. 

I have a friend who is a RN of many years and works with many Filipinos, most of whom she describes as excellent workers.  My mother is in a HCF and there are several Filipinos working there and their care and concern for the elderly patients is amazing - same with the previous facility she was at.  I have the highest admiration for their devotion and work ethic.

It takes many years of service before they get to the $86k figure mentioned in a previous post.  There is no oversupply of nursing in Oz,but it it s high turnover industry.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mogo51 said:

It takes many years of service before they get to the $86k figure mentioned in a previous post.  There is no oversupply of nursing in Oz,but it it s high turnover industry.

So what would be a more realistic first few years there figure?

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Hi Steve,

Just the way it is in Phils but it is all relevant to the cost of living (basically).  My SO is a dual degree teacher from  Phils working in Thailand for the past 8 plus years.  She put her 2 children thru Uni (nursing and accounting) at great sacrifice to herself.  I sometimes wonder whether the two children actually appreciate or understand the sacrifices she has made for them.

RNs from Philippines cannot go to Australia and just get a job there in hospitals.  They have to undertake another year of additional study an most start in Aged Care Facilities at lesser wages.  They then have their qualifications recognised. 

I have a friend who is a RN of many years and works with many Filipinos, most of whom she describes as excellent workers.  My mother is in a HCF and there are several Filipinos working there and their care and concern for the elderly patients is amazing - same with the previous facility she was at.  I have the highest admiration for their devotion and work ethic.

Hi Mogo, yes you are totally correct with all you say about nursing in Oz, after the one year of training which we were going to sponsor, not so sure now as english for her is a problem. So after a year or so she goes onto a base wage of 50? 55K per year, I'm sure she could help not only herself achieve a better life but also her family.

Cheers, Steve. 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bigpearl said:

as english for her is a problem.

That is quite common. After 4 to 7 years of university taught in English, they cannot speak English. Memorize, repeat, memorize, repeat.....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bigpearl said:

So after a year or so she goes onto a base wage of 50? 55K per year, I'm sure she could help not only herself achieve a better life but also her family.

But remember it cost a lot more to live in Australia. If she shared a house with 4 others it might be OK. Food,clothes and everything cost a lot more so getting a higher wage does not mean there will be plenty left over. Trust me I lived there for 54 years. :smile:

• Like 4

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

But remember it cost a lot more to live in Australia. If she shared a house with 4 others it might be OK. Food,clothes and everything cost a lot more so getting a higher wage does not mean there will be plenty left over. Trust me I lived there for 54 years. :smile:

True JFG, I know only too well the costs but remember that most Filipinos know how to live frugally, on the smell of an oily rag so to speak, 3 or 4K sent home annually would certainly be a great help and is achievable but as said "doubt if it will happen".

The cost of living in Oz is one of the reasons why I will leave when I retire.

Cheers, Steve.