Sailing In The Philippines

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I've seen a few small sailboats while traveling around the Philippines but nothing for sport racing.  For that matter no organized racing of any kind.  Maybe I'm just not aware?  Anyway, saw this photo and thought Jake might like to captain this ship!

post-1290-0-05622600-1455833092_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
Maybe I'm just not aware?

Intrepid:

I have loved sailing all my life, was even crew on a small team in San Diego. It surprised the heck out of me that sailing was not more popular here. Before we moved I looked deeply into sailing and was very disappointed. Sailing here seems to be a rich, rich mans sport.

Now most of my research was around Metro Manila, where I found the Manila Yacht club. The do not rent small boats that I could find for day sailing, and to own a boat and berth it there, well the membership fee is prohibitive. I looked at Cavite and only found an old rusted LST there lolol. The old officers club up at Subic bay has a couple of 12 foot lasers you can rent, but that's to hell and gone for me. Lake Taal (near Tagayatay) has a "yacht" club where you can rent hobi's and a couple of single hull boats. Those were the only places with in 8 hours of manila I found.

All in all for me personally the lack of sailing was the biggest disappointment about retiring here. (oh and no racket ball either lololol)

Edited by scott h
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I think Jake posted a topic on sailing some time back.

Moalboal has a few small cat's and a nice breeze much of the time but in all my visits we never noticed any regattas of any kind. In fact I can't think of ever seeing a sail boat of any larger than a hobie cat.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I can't think of ever seeing a sail boat of any larger than a hobie cat.

Agreed Old, and I should have fleshed out the info a bit more. I have been to some resorts where there are Hobies, usually they want to send a crew with you.

I am more of a single hull sailor (keeps the cheese and crackers dryer heh heh).

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I have a cousin in Moalboal and have spent some time there on several occasions.  I never saw a sail boat there.  I have seen some small local, two person, sail boats near the coast of Negros several times.  Never able to get close enough to get a good look.  Basic looked like a very small pumpboat without motor and small sail.  Seemed to move along well in light breeze.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have a cousin in Moalboal and have spent some time there on several occasions.  I never saw a sail boat there. 

Next time you are here, take a look off Tongo Point.  When we moved here 2 1/2 years ago, there was a sailboat anchored just off shore.  No idea when it arrived, but since then it has moved ONE time, and that was when it lost anchorage during a wind storm and ended up aground.  They towed it back to anchorage with a banka, and anchored it again so I don't think there was any hull damage.  The second boat arrived about a year ago.  The first month it was used two or three times just to sail around the harbor here.  Nothing since then nothing, except a guy uses a zodiac to go out and check it a couple times a month.  The second one had a large for sale sign on it for awhile, but I think the wind blew the sign away.  Probably get a good deal on them if anyone is interested.  Both are fairly good sized size, 20+ feet I would guess with cabins.  I have often wondered why someone would go to the effort and expense of getting them here and then not use them.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I haven't seen much evidence of hobby/sport/lesiure sailing here outside of MNL, Lake Taal and Puerto Galera, but there are some other locales that pop up now and then on internet postings where there are boatbuilders and good protective anchorages, where some people may engage in it. There doesn't seem to be much of a support network for it.

I still harbor an mild, unfulfilled desire to sail here, but I'm not really motivated to attempt to fulfill it as I grow old because of the different circumstances here compared to what I'm used to.

I'd forget about a western hull w. bermuda sloop rig, and go native with the standard outrigger and lanteen sail. There's a lot of them everywhere you go. Some quite small for sail only, and some larger w/the std. aux. engine. 

I live on the sea here and see the fisherman sometimes running under sail to save on gas when they're heading downwind or on a good reach.

Your wife, relatives or neighbors (any informal network) could probably find someone to take you out daysailing for a few hours so you could see how they run their rigging and manuever. Shouldn't cost much. Then you could decide if it was your thing.

If so, a small used boat wouldn't cost much to practice with until you're ready to commission a new one (also not that many pesos). I used to know the cost, I forget, but it was a heck of lots less than I built a 17' skiff for years ago.

No trailers or boat ramps that I've seen, but they may exist in some places unknown to me. No marinas or berths etc. Everything is pulled up on the beach and public boat yard from what I can see.

If you stay small, cheap and remove anything of value, and the locals know its your boat and you're on good terms with them, it should be safe. Or make friends with someone who had beach frontage or will keep an eye on it. Or work a deal.

You could always get or make a tropical sea-kayak with a sailing rig that you could transport atop a trike or a bicycle wheel trailer. 

Just a few ideas.  Good luck with realizing your dreams and desires.... and let us know if you find adventure or some level of fulfillment.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Hi Intrepid,

There is a boat yard/ port in Carmen , Cebu that has a private dock rental for mooring boats and they also do boat building. I've only driven by there so I don't know any specifics. I believe that it's run by a foreigner. Here is one link, if you want to possibly learn more about sailing/racing in Cebu.

http://portcarmen.blogspot.com/2013/02/port-carmen-cebu-philippines.html

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Today I noticed banners around Subic for an upcoming race.  I didn't note the details but I caught the web address:

http://subicsailing.com/

and I guess it is the Subic to Boracay race.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Today I noticed banners around Subic for an upcoming race.  I didn't note the details but I caught the web address:

http://subicsailing.com/

and I guess it is the Subic to Boracay race.

WOW that's cool. Thanks.

I hope that's an annual event.