Where To Stay In Manila

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Starting this one for mogo51 as he was . . . .

Hijacking the thread

"Anyone can give me a  leg up for a cheap but decent hotel in Mania?  The one I used the last time have jacked their prices up."

Edit: We assume this is Manila, not Mania?
Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

The last couple of times in Manila I stayed a the Starlight Bed and Breakfast in Pasay city.

Last May the rate was about PHP 1800 for a double room including breakfast and free WiFi. It's a family owned and run hotel that is only a year or two old. Friendly and helpful staff and a coffee shop style restaurant open all day.

In terms of location it is reasonably close to the airport and long distance bus terminals such as Victory Liner. SWMBO likes it because it is only a short distance from Baclaran Market.

When staying there I always request a room on the top floor with a balcony.

When I stayed there they weren't geared up for credit cards, so cash only.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted
Sogo hotels

We stay at Sogo, the Recto branch, which is walking distance to 2 LRT stations and walking distance to markets and eating places.

Sogo gives 24 hours from arrival (1200-1400 pesos) and they have a neat little promo for 10 hours (385) weekdays. You can tack it on the end as we do.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

"Anyone can give me a  leg up for a cheap but decent hotel in Mania?  The one I used the last time have jacked their prices up."

What country is it in?  :)

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

We have a TOWER INN  here in Davao city which is where I stayed the first week I was here. When we go to Manila, we book our reservation here at the Tower Inn in Davao city. We stay at the Tower Inn In Makati. It is very nice and has a very affordable restaurant with good food. It is walking distance to Glorietta Mall, SM Mall and other malls. Many nice restaurants along the way. 

Check it out on TripAdvisor and read the reviews. Like it said , it is very affordable.

My advice is get the exact address and give it to a metered taxi driver. He will take the toll way to avoid traffic but your total fee will be less than 500Pesos. We have never been ripped off going.

The hotel has a private driver who will take you anywhere in Manila for a small fee. His name is Jimmy M. Cox. I have his business card here.

Good Luck

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Whenever I go to Manila I stay at a one of the Red Planet (formerly Tune)  hotels. There are a three of them in Manila. The rooms are small but very clean. There is flat screen TV,, a safe, and high speed internet in every room. The security is also very good. A twin room usually runs about 1700p. Another budget chain are the Sogo hotels, they are lean, safe, and have good internet. There are several Sogos in Manila.

Thanks Mr. Bobo, what are the beds like.  I have a chronic back issue and cannot cope with those paper thing rubber mattresses?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Starting this one for mogo51 as he was . . . .

Hijacking the thread

Edit: We assume this is Manila, not Mania?

Sorry  for my typo Dave, but maybe both names are appropriate?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Thanks Mr. Bobo, what are the beds like.

I'm sure Mr Bobo will respond but I shall also add my experience.  When the Tune hotel chain was new in Cebu I tried them out and found the beds quite comfortable but the room itself too small for 2 or more people.  For 1 it would be just great.  Just MHO

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Sogo hotels

We stay at Sogo, the Recto branch, which is walking distance to 2 LRT stations and walking distance to markets and eating places.

Sogo gives 24 hours from arrival (1200-1400 pesos) and they have a neat little promo for 10 hours (385) weekdays. You can tack it on the end as we do.

Thanks Chris,

Is that the final daily cost, as Dave said in another post, they love to do a bit of adding often.  But he mainly referred to online

bookings?