Laoag Fiesta Mtb Race.

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)

I enjoyed reading your post, and nice to hear you enjoyed the day.

The Ilocos region is not often talked about on expat  forums, but its one of my favourite place to visit. We have stayed in the Java hotel on several occasions and enjoy  the sites around Laoag.

Edited by Gas
  • Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

I enjoyed reading your post, and nice to hear you enjoyed the day.

The Ilocos region is not often talked about on expat  forums, but its one of my favourite place to visit. We have stayed in the Java hotel on several occasions and enjoy  the sites around Laoag.

A bit off the tourist map although Filipino's do tour Vigan and Laoag. Amazing area but probably lacks the nightlife that many ex pats seem to enjoy. Like anything, it's there if you seek it out.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

post-4921-0-38670700-1456653172_thumb.jp

post-4921-0-52564500-1456653200_thumb.jp

Around 16 bikes on the back of an Elf....7 people inside and I think 10 packed in the back, 2 on the front roof.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Nice post Chris, well done on the day also, I got tired just reading it.

Emperidor?  I hope you did not ride a motorbike mate haha

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
Nice post Chris, well done on the day also, I got tired just reading it. Emperidor? I hope you did not ride a motorbike mate haha

Free drinks mate, Empi Gold, I would not knock that back. I think I learned a lesson last time and have been much stronger since the recovery. Drink less, but I do not abstain.

Amazing day out. And another hard training day today followed by morning merienda.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

San Fernando. 5 March 2016. SF La Union,

Big event with riders from all over. Top riders. And 4-5 foreigners, 2 of them reached the podium.

Mass start, but Pro Elite went of first. Then everyone lined up and went off, ladies and vets supposed to be at the back. Race is 46 km all terrain, but later my distance is 38 km.

We went east towards the fringe of Cordilleras Mountains, but first 7 km is tarmac. I started slow, a bit conservative because it's a hard race. I was able to pass 4-5 riders then I passed another 5 including my good friend Delfin Altura, he's on a smaller bike, so I judge myself to go ahead. Then I dropped onto a wheel, Swiss guy, also a vet. I held on, but he was strong and I could sense that. He rode a middle gear with a high cadence, so I was right, he was too strong.

We went right onto a trail and things got hard at the 9-10 km mark. Hard rock, loose stones and tree trunks....with uphill a sharp downhill technically difficult. So a few I passed came up and paased me and there's not much I can do....also I wore MTB shoes clip on and that was a big problem now. I remounted and saw a big stone, immediately braked but too much front brake so lifted the back wheel and I went off to the side....so I lost all confidence and started walking. It took 50 mins to travel 3km so no way to finish the race at this point.

We went back on tarmac and initially my endurance kicked in, but back to the off road at around 22km. Then it's a hard again, 2 sections totally unrideable and race officials and spectators relayed the bikes down by hand. Then 2 other occasions descents with drop off I let go off the bike and let it role down. Flat shoes or running shoes might have helped.

Got up to 26 km and in a small group of 3...lady rider was ahead but she had an accident which we did not see and she did not continue. Then we got reports of more crashes, including one fractured collarbone.
Lapog team riders were upfront, but we would not find out details until later. Orencio Vaquilar Jr., 2nd Over 50 and Rolando Burgos (Animal) punctured while leading and dropped to 10th. Delfin Altura and Chris Arrowsmith, out of contention at this point of the race.

So now the officials started questioning us as to whether we can finish, but all said we will stay on the course and try...so one more off road and more walking and the lady is out, I'm now alone....the other guy dropped behind but I don't know exactly why. Now 29 km and the official tells me, 9 km more but one hill. This hill is about 2km long and I walked most of it, then a short barangay road and another 5-6 km back to the finish....and I am dead last by 30 mins.

I don't know why, but I found out later the back riders behind me were directed by race officials to take the short road back to finish, a bit confusing but it's already late in the day. So I think it's a good decision.

So Delfin Altura oldest rider, then me and the Swiss guy, but at least I had the satisfaction to finish.

Top class event? Yes, if you are Pro or Elite. I thought it's above level for Novice, Age Grouper and Vets.

I thought they could have cleared the trail more and can't understand why big loose stones are in the middle of single track with a drop off. Have to be honest, but it was an experience and a great day out all round.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Chris, seriously, don't you think it is time to stick to the road?  Your going to break something important one of these days!  Don't they have some pure road racing around?

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:28 AM, OnMyWay said:

Chris, seriously, don't you think it is time to stick to the road?  Your going to break something important one of these days!  Don't they have some pure road racing around?

That would be on a road bike. I doubt if I could keep that kind of pace.

This event, as you might have noticed was Pro/Elite. In reality I was lucky to finish while quite a few others did not.

I'm racing an event at Candon this Saturday, to complete the Trifecta of 3 races in 3 weeks.

Safety is a matter of judgement. But it is generally not safe on the National Highway, that's why we shifted to off road racing.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

It was brutal tough out there. But I wanted to finish.

I really lost my confidence after the back wheel lifted, but I only fell side, not over the top.

Around 2002 in Saudi I went over the top of the handlebars after hitting a race volunteer who strayed onto the curse...had several injuries to fingers, broken and a few nails ripped off. Still have scar above the upper lip and had a broken nose at the time.

12794947_995447683855862_8985702722082571359_o.jpg

• Like 1