Laoag Fiesta Mtb Race.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Previous week, I passed the big boy right at the finish.

12803191_1380463625304414_7502098130506775164_n.jpg

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey Chris, 

We really enjoy reading all your adventures and the wonderful stories behind them.  You have made me reconsider northern Luzon as a serious place to reside now.  Well done sir!

On a separate note (and perhaps start a new topic), can you please tell us how to be more educated as a first time buyer of a new mountain bike.  I've ridden a couple Walmart specials ($130).....decent enough but they weighed a ton. What is the desired weight these days for hardcore riders?  

I'm looking at Lazada and this one grab my interest (see below).  What do you think?  Too cheap with fake knockoffs and faulty construction.  My budget is around 300 bucks but needs to be lightweight so that I can carry it on my back while staggering around drunk.  Hey, don't want to get a DUI while riding.....he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

Lazada.PNG

Edited by Jake
repositioned photo

chris49
Posted
Posted

11 kg racing weight for a MTB Jake and that would also cost you. Mine runs about 12 kg.

Chinese knockoffs have proven to be quite good in recent years, certainly in the Philippines they are universally popular. However, for $300 you can't get light weight alloy or carbon fibre. And the wheels on a MTB are quite heavy eg on my bike, upgraded wheels might cost $600 and up.

And top line bikes in the USA are frequently stolen and sold on the black market almost immediately.

That bike you pictured would be entry level as a street bike  but doesn't have air suspension for difficult off road riding. The price is about right for the model.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Like so many really enjoy your adventures Chris. Just a little concerned how hard your pushing yourself, remember a post of yours not so long ago where health wise there was some concerns. Obviously your well recovered. Truly admire how you such an out door get and and go guy.

look forward your next post on Laoag as we are planing a motor cycle trip up to North Luzon. Wish to ride through the Cordilleras and spend some time this area. Been a long time.

• Like 1