Time

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted

Have you noticed that Filipinos tell time either in English (eg. 3:45 in the afternoon) or in Spanish (eg. alas tres quarenta y cinco) but rarely in Tagalog (eg. ika tatlong oras at apat naput lima)?

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah, for telling time they use Spanish or English.  My wife does not know why... they just do.  For other counting she will use Kinaray-a, Illongo, Tagalog, or English.

~Edit~ It sounds like Spanish but I think they spell it differently

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted

That sure is the truth. In the Philippines, 30 to 45 minutes late is considered on time for anything. Most will probably be at least a week late for their own funeral  :17403: .

Filipinos tell time

Filipinos tell time?  I thought telling time meant:  In a while

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
but rarely in Tagalog

It is really just all about the evolution of language. Time is quite simple if we think about it. The natives did not have clocks at the time of the Spanish arrival. So when the Spanish introduced telling time the locals used their words, and natuarally when the Americans came in it just switched to English.

There are a lot of words that originate in Spanish and English, the Filipinos have changed the spelling to match their phonetic understanding.

Another great example is horse. The Spanish brought them and Spanish for horse is Caballo in tagalog it is kabayo.

service in Spanish is servicio in tagalog serbisyo

It all really depends upon when an idea or object was introduced to the populace. English is a great language for stealing words from other languages also. For example:

For us Americans the word "Boondocks" means way out in the countryside. We actually got that word from here in the Philippines. When American soldiers had to go on a long patrol they would ask their native guides where so and so a place was and the guide would say "Oh sir, that is in the Bundok!"  which means remote rural area in Tagolog.

I can just picture how the conversation went. "HEY Sarge, where the heck are we going?" "Well Private, our guide here says we are going to the Bun.. er um...to the Boondock or something like that! Now shut up and put your pack on!"

Languages are fascinating,,,,,Ok, ok,,i know, I need a life :hystery:

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I was riding in a Jeepney once and I was curious about the time. I did not have my watch with me so I looked around and saw that some had wrist watches. I could see the time on a couple of the watches but I asked a lady next to me and she gave me the time she had.

All had different times.  Most filipinos set their watches and clocks ahead so they presumably will not be late. It doesn't work. My wife is a living testimony to this. She never waits for her hair to dry before leaving. She lets it dry in the wind. Probably why I see so many employees running to their jobs with wet hair. 

I am strict about never being late. I don't care if I have to wait and usually I do anyway.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
I am strict about never being late. I don't care if I have to wait and usually I do anyway.

Same with our family. We as the parents are always at least 10 minutes early anywhere we need to be. At least setting the right example for our kids is teaching them that time is important. So far it's working and they are not late for school classes or other activities or meetings.

Seems like their teachers and even their friends notice this and ask them why they are always so early for everything. Living here it can be difficult teaching children correct principles of any kind when as soon as they step outside the door-NOTHING matters.

Nephi 

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

As for being "late" you have to learn how to tell time like a local... We were supposed to be somewhere at 10.  At 10:45 my wife got out of the shower. I questioned her about our schedule and she waves at the clock saying "it is still 10"...  get it?  It is 10, until it is 11.... so we were still 'on time' as far as she was concerned.  It is funny because it is true :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

As for being "late" you have to learn how to tell time like a local...

You will need one of these post-2148-0-42915600-1456793778_thumb.jp  :hystery:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You guys got me laughing so hard I had tears.  :hystery:

My wife is late most of the time.

• Like 2