Shipping From Bohol To Cebu

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Need some advice.  We had 10 BB boxes shipped to my wife's sister in Dimiao (the only stable address that we had)...and have since decided to settle in Cebu.  I need now to get ten boxes from Bohol to Cebu.  These are LARGE boxes (24x24x18 in), each close to or in excess of 100kg.  Any suggestions or experience?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Need some advice.  We had 10 BB boxes shipped to my wife's sister in Dimiao (the only stable address that we had)...and have since decided to settle in Cebu.  I need now to get ten boxes from Bohol to Cebu.  These are LARGE boxes (24x24x18 in), each close to or in excess of 100kg.  Any suggestions or experience?

I don't think you mean 100 kg per box, unless they are full of books or some other heavy stuff.  Gold?  Did you mean 100 lbs?

Can you or someone else just take them on a ferry?  Should be cheap.

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

OMW:  I wish it were so.  I do mean an average of 100 KILOS per box, 200 lbs.  Some less, some more.  There are actually 17 in all but the remaining 7 won't be here for a month or more.  Got a great volume discount (about $60USD/box) and at unlimited weight...well, the wife took advantage.  Entire 4BR US household.  Then my tools (I'm a car/motorcycle mechanic by hobby), hardware for house build, etc, etc.  My first thought was the ferry...wondering if I can hire a truck and coupla guys to drive the whole shebang onto the slow boat and off.  Otherwise I'm afraid the whole load at origin/unload-load at disembark/unload-load at embark/unload at destination is going to be brutal.  Managing it defeats my concept of "retirement".   :thumbsup:

But I will if it's the cheapest way to go.

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
My first thought was the ferry...wondering if I can hire a truck and coupla guys to drive the whole shebang onto the slow boat and off.

Sounds the best option :thumbsup:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

OMW:  I wish it were so.  I do mean an average of 100 KILOS per box, 200 lbs.  Some less, some more.  There are actually 17 in all but the remaining 7 won't be here for a month or more.  Got a great volume discount (about $60USD/box) and at unlimited weight...well, the wife took advantage.  Entire 4BR US household.  Then my tools (I'm a car/motorcycle mechanic by hobby), hardware for house build, etc, etc.  My first thought was the ferry...wondering if I can hire a truck and coupla guys to drive the whole shebang onto the slow boat and off.  Otherwise I'm afraid the whole load at origin/unload-load at disembark/unload-load at embark/unload at destination is going to be brutal.  Managing it defeats my concept of "retirement".   :thumbsup:

But I will if it's the cheapest way to go.

I can't imagine how you got that much weight into a cardboard BB box!  I tried to distribute my heavier stuff over all the boxes and I doubt that I had one much over 100 lbs.  I sent twenty something boxes.

Look for Lipat Bahay on OLX.

https://www.olx.ph/all-results/q-lipat-bahay/

You can even hire them from Cebu if needed and have them come over empty.  Hopefully they are cheap enough to make it cost effective.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Then my tools (I'm a car/motorcycle mechanic by hobby), hardware for house build, etc, etc.

Glad to hear you shipped all your tools.  From what others here have wrote that is wise.  They wished they would have sent more.  I'm about ready to ship all our boxes and many tools also.  Wondering if you shipped any too chests and cabinets?  If only boxes maybe not.  I'm going to ship a three piece set, base, mid, and chest.  Empty about 400 pounds.  Looking for ideas to protect it during shipment. 

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Good tools (Craftsman, snap-on, etc.) very difficult to get here.  I have two full plus mechanic sets, one SAE, one metric.  Woodworking and masonry tools as well, we will be building here.  Heck, I shipped 9 hammers.  What I (or the workers on our house) don't need I'll gift or barter.  PI mechanics and construction guys love US tools.  

I didn't ship any chests, or even plastic tool boxes.  The main reason is simple...there is a lot of wasted space (dead air) inside.  Sold my chests, cases, boxes and organizers.  Repacked all tools and hardware nested very densely into ziplock bags, packed the bags again densely into smaller boxes found dumpster diving, taped them up firmly, labelled them "used tools" and put these inside the BB boxes.

Not sure how you would get chests into a BB box, the largest standard size is 24x24x18.  The boxes are designed to fit into a shipping container like a jigsaw puzzle with no dead space.  If you pack these into off-size boxes, most likely you will pay through the nose.  Even then I would pack every nook and cranny inside with something/anything.  You will want to use double-walled cardboard, and several layers of the strongest plastic packing tape you can find.  Tape every corner, seam, closure, flap...even ones that don't open...and run a few bands around each dimension.  We used 22 rolls of heavy duty tape on 17 boxes.  I used clothing, linens and towels as protection inside the boxes, even some of my kids favorite stuffed animals.  Rarely (again, dead space) I used bubble wrap for some more delicate items (electronic level, multimeter).

Just a thought on metal tool cases.  The climate here is brutal on metal.  Heat, direct sun, rain, humidity, salt.  Just look at any metal roof here, only the better heavily galvanized and epoxy coated last more than a few years and some much much less.  Even the best boxes (mine were Craftsman and Kobalt) have parts subject to corrosion (screws, nuts bolts, slides, bushings, bearings, more) and these will rot and die.  I was careful that all the fittings and hardware I brought were 100% stainless, solid brass, etc.  I did bring some regular steel/iron stuff but would not use them in any construction.  Most of my fasteners are at least galvanized.  And even at that, galvanization is just a coating...scrape it, penetrate it, damage it in any way and the clock starts ticking.  There is a reason why even some of the best stuff here is mostly plastic.

What part of PI are you planning to settle in?

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Good tools (Craftsman, snap-on, etc.) very difficult to get here.  I have two full plus mechanic sets, one SAE, one metric.  Woodworking and masonry tools as well, we will be building here.  Heck, I shipped 9 hammers.  What I (or the workers on our house) don't need I'll gift or barter.  PI mechanics and construction guys love US tools.  

I didn't ship any chests, or even plastic tool boxes.  The main reason is simple...there is a lot of wasted space (dead air) inside.  Sold my chests, cases, boxes and organizers.  Repacked all tools and hardware nested very densely into ziplock bags, packed the bags again densely into smaller boxes found dumpster diving, taped them up firmly, labelled them "used tools" and put these inside the BB boxes.

Not sure how you would get chests into a BB box, the largest standard size is 24x24x18.  The boxes are designed to fit into a shipping container like a jigsaw puzzle with no dead space.  If you pack these into off-size boxes, most likely you will pay through the nose.  Even then I would pack every nook and cranny inside with something/anything.  You will want to use double-walled cardboard, and several layers of the strongest plastic packing tape you can find.  Tape every corner, seam, closure, flap...even ones that don't open...and run a few bands around each dimension.  We used 22 rolls of heavy duty tape on 17 boxes.  I used clothing, linens and towels as protection inside the boxes, even some of my kids favorite stuffed animals.  Rarely (again, dead space) I used bubble wrap for some more delicate items (electronic level, multimeter).

Just a thought on metal tool cases.  The climate here is brutal on metal.  Heat, direct sun, rain, humidity, salt.  Just look at any metal roof here, only the better heavily galvanized and epoxy coated last more than a few years and some much much less.  Even the best boxes (mine were Craftsman and Kobalt) have parts subject to corrosion (screws, nuts bolts, slides, bushings, bearings, more) and these will rot and die.  I was careful that all the fittings and hardware I brought were 100% stainless, solid brass, etc.  I did bring some regular steel/iron stuff but would not use them in any construction.  Most of my fasteners are at least galvanized.  And even at that, galvanization is just a coating...scrape it, penetrate it, damage it in any way and the clock starts ticking.  There is a reason why even some of the best stuff here is mostly plastic.

What part of PI are you planning to settle in?

I have packed everything just as you have described.  Packed about everything you described.  Have the same idea of the double and triple tools I'm sending.  They will go to brother-in-laws or bartered. Even though we used mostly the large BB boxes I needed some larger boxes 42" long for my hobby model ships.  These boxes were special ordered and of course double-walled boxes also.   I used double-walled house siding boxes for the models inside the larger boxes.  I agree with you on the tool boxes in the environment there.  But since I already had an older Snap-On tool cabinet set and it was ready for a makeover, I decided to have it powder-coated. (Helps to have a close friend with a PC business)  My kind of price,...Free!  Anyway we are shipping everything with an international shipper so there is no problem with larger items.  You can read about that here if you are interested.  http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/24373-packing-for-the-move/  Just to protect the boxes I think I will use some double-walled cardboard on all sides and then strapped into place.  Hopefully the boxes would last about 10 years before returning to earth!

We will be settling in Sta Rosa Laguna.

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Bold...bringing over delicate models.  We looked at shippers as well, but once we agreed to the 24x24x18 box size, BB was the way to go.  The only thing I regret not being able to bring due to size is a 48" t-square i used for drywall and furniture carpentry, old style mahogany, solid as a rock and dead on 90.0 degrees even at 20+ years of use.  Sigh.  But then again, its the Philippines.  Anything between 85 and 95 seems to be fine.     :1 (103):

Best of luck!

intrepid
Posted
Posted
The only thing I regret not being able to bring due to size is a 48" t-square

You can borrow mine if you like.  It fit nicely inside the large screen TV box!