Must Be Under 50 Pesos. Cheap Foods.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Home food not included.

Carinderia meals which might average a bit more than 50 pesos should also not be included unless you cite the individual item.

I have a number of foods well under 50, so let me start the ball rolling.

Aroz Caldo (aka congee or lugaw, sometimes known as Goto if including parts of intestine). Aroz Caldo, though means with chicken, can also be with an egg. Price is 20-25 pesos. The one I have in mind includes roasted garlic, spring onions, calamansi, chili optional.

The one I have in mind is available at Cabugao Market, Ilocos Sur and recently they provide Jalapeno in oil, even the oil is ma innit....hot, and it is absolutely masarap. 20 pesos per medium bowl. Two bowls with a few cups of ice water would be merienda or even lunch,

• Like 1

jai_ren
Posted
Posted

Bowls of Batchoy noodles, and it's a full meal really can be 30. With an egg and other extras on top.

You used to be able to get schwarma-and-rice, again a full meal, in a mall for 50 and this is still the most value-for-money meal you can get in an airconditioned-type environment. But the price has now increased, to 60.

Hanging rice can be as little as 2 pesos in some places so with 3-4 of them you can get a half-decent barbecue meal for 50 or less there too.

Carinderias trading in competitive areas can frequently offer rice, two sides, AND a drink for even 40.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
Bowls of Batchoy noodles

Batchoy which I like, not popular here in the north.

Miki miki is a thicker noodle soup which can have tiny bits of pork or the very small shrimp, crunchy. Coconut milk base, with/without an egg. 20 pesos in competitive market areas.....35 if sitting in a roadside joint with a waitress.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Almost every offering at the eateries here is 25-35 pesos, so with rice and small drink it's under p50.  Cheapest meal I've found is the mung bean soup (mongos) which is also one of the healthiest and costs about p20.  A lot of Filipinos shy away from eating it in public, though, for appearances sake. 

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Chris,

You were going alright until you said the no no word - intestine.  Never.

Larry, interesting comment, why would Filipinos worry about eating in public, yo know what they say = don't eat, dont s...t , don s..t you die!

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

Chris,

You were going alright until you said the no no word - intestine.  Never.

Larry, interesting comment, why would Filipinos worry about eating in public, yo know what they say = don't eat, dont s...t , don s..t you die!

Mongos is a "poor man's food" and there's some stigma attached to it.  Most Filipinos would rather be poor and have others think they are rich, than vice versa.  It's all about appearances here.  

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 2

ManilaBae
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I need some healthy food on the go and Im near a big supermarket, I head to the fruits and vegetables section and request for my fresh fruits to be sliced and placed in a styrofoam container. For P50, one could get a small, whole papaya and a few pieces of bananas.

Another "streetfood" that I like is fresh young coconut juice and meat for around P20 and paired with either freshly fired turon or banana-q for P8 and P12 respectively.

Taho is another healthy alternative for P25 for a full mug.

Edited by ManilaBae
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My guts are too sensitive to eat anything under 50 pesos but "Y" eats for less than 50 pesos quite ofte.  She usually gets a few pieces of BBQ chicken guts or some BBQ pork pieces.    AH, I tell a lie!  If you count that it is for two, we often buy a half roasted chicken for 95 pesos and split it in two (so 50 pesos each).  There is also tempura and balut but these are eaten more as snacks.  All of these foods require rice to balance the meal.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
e often buy a half roasted chicken for 95 pesos

You got to be careful when chicken is half roasted because of salmonella. 

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

e often buy a half roasted chicken for 95 pesos

You got to be careful when chicken is half roasted because of salmonella. 

Half a chicken, I think Dave meant.

Kare Kare, a dish that requires some preparation. Peanut sabaw over vegetables, bits of pork.....40 pesos today in Vigan. Side dish of bagoong. I had 2 orders for lunch.

• Like 2