Corned Beef Brisket in Cebu City

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

As Saint Patrick's Day is almost here, I was wondering if anyone in Cebu City has ever seen corned beef brisket in any deli or supermarket here? I'd really like to make a nice boiled dinner at home for the holiday like I always used to do. Maybe it's just too much to ask that it would be available...

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I bet it is available, somewhere, finding it would be the problem then the cost would be the next obstacle. I found corned beef brisket at Robinsons supermarket in Dumaguete and the price was dear, although not so dear when compared to their price on imported hotdogs which was about 250-300% of their price in the US.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

You're right if is

13 hours ago, robert k said:

I bet it is available, somewhere, finding it would be the problem then the cost would be the next obstacle. I found corned beef brisket at Robinsons supermarket in Dumaguete and the price was dear, although not so dear when compared to their price on imported hotdogs which was about 250-300% of their price in the US.

You're right-- if it's found somewhere, it's bound to be expensive. I think I'd "bite the bullet" and spring for it just because it's a one time purchase for the holiday:) But then again I'd have to see the price first:)

Maybe S&R would have it...

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 5 March 2016 at 5:55 PM, Queenie O. said:

As Saint Patrick's Day is almost here, I was wondering if anyone in Cebu City has ever seen corned beef brisket in any deli or supermarket here? I'd really like to make a nice boiled dinner at home for the holiday like I always used to do. Maybe it's just too much to ask that it would be available...

Corn beef and cabbage, I love it. Yes, I would pay if it was good quality and not too too expensive. What the EL it's not like we have it every day, right.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My friend makes his own corn beer here in Pattaya.  Buys the spices from Supermarket, buys a topside

and bingo!

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah... one night my wife said she was making corned beef for dinner....  Oh well....  ha ha.  The local, shredded and canned, stuff just ain't the same! 

One of my favorite Navy dinners was corned beef & cabbage.  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I like a grilled corned beef on rye sandwich with a tangy mustard but I can't find it here and if I could I would be suspicious that its not going to taste like back home.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You can get American corned beef in the can at S&R. I have also seen NZ and Aus. corned beef frozen there. I used the canned stuff to make corned beef hash the way we eat it. Almost as good as we get in a greasy spoon diner.

But to be fair, most things are available, if we look for them and are willing to pay the premium price.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Wish me luck at S&R guys:) Might just end up only baking Irish soda bread for the holiday if I come up empty:)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good luck Queenie,

Please let us know the location if you do find one there in Cebu? Mamma cooks wonderful food for us I love the seafood there but knowing I could buy a brisket there would be sweet. Can you find Juniper berries in Cebu?

For corned beef do you cook it in apple cider and hard cider?