Corned Beef Brisket in Cebu City

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I like a grilled corned beef on rye sandwich with a tangy mustard but I can't find it here and if I could I would be suspicious that its not going to taste like back home.

Try S & R  if there is one near you. That's where I get mine. S & R also has a lot of imported frozen food that you will not find in SM or Gaisano Mkts. For instance, Lasagna, lean Angus beef patties, baby back bbq ribs, frozen strawberries, frozen peaches, and a lot of other stuff that you can check out once you join the club.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

For instance, Lasagna, lean Angus beef patties, baby back bbq ribs, frozen strawberries

And chili, burritos, real pork and bean, Hormel tamales, bush's baked beans, cheese snacks all kinds of good ole American junk. :AddEmoticons04230:

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have heard of this S&R place... it sounds like it is a good thing we do not have one in Iloilo... my grocery bill (and my waistline) could not handle it ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Sorry guys--no brisket to be had at the S&R in Cebu. Bummer! Well I'll still make the Irish soda bread, but corned beef and cabbage is one of my favorites.  I'll keep looking though, because I'd make it another time if I ever found it. I'll keep you posted.

For this past Thanksgiving, I had roasted a turkey with all the fixings, but no cranberry sauce could be found anywhere. The other day I scored a can at Rustan's, so I'll set it aside for next year:) Better be turkeys again by then:)

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/5/2016 at 5:08 PM, robert k said:

I bet it is available, somewhere, finding it would be the problem then the cost would be the next obstacle. I found corned beef brisket at Robinsons supermarket in Dumaguete and the price was dear, although not so dear when compared to their price on imported hotdogs which was about 250-300% of their price in the US.

Hot Dogs to me are like Beetroot to you guys, Never!

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Old55 said:

Good luck Queenie,

Please let us know the location if you do find one there in Cebu? Mamma cooks wonderful food for us I love the seafood there but knowing I could buy a brisket there would be sweet. Can you find Juniper berries in Cebu?

For corned beef do you cook it in apple cider and hard cider?

Haven't seen any of those items yet, but I'll keep my eyes open..:)

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

When you folks are talking about beets with their tops on them?  Today at SM Hypermarket in Mandaue, I saw packaged fresh beets with some short tops on them in the vegetable cooler. Two in a pack. It didn't register if that might have been what you meant. My mother was Swedish and every Christmas we would have pickled beets as part of our smorgasbord dishes. I've never heard of beets sliced as a condiment in the US:)

• 1 year later...
Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

This is kind of an old thread, but anyway FYI, S&R is now carrying US brand Bea's Best Corned Beef Brisket! It's kind of pricey at 599P per brisket, but they are also carrying smaller pieces in their deli section for sandwich carving. Too late for St. Patrick's Day, but something I'd try at any time.:smile:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1