Nice day trip from Bacolod or San Carlos

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

We did the trip on the bike and found no issues at all.

Sounds nice. "The bike" is a 1972 2-seater 3 speed Schwinn? A Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic? Maybe something in between? :7481:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

The views coming over the last mountains toward San Carlos City are some of the best IMHO.  You can see the city below, then you can see the island of Sipaway, and on the usually clear days you can see Cebu! I have always enjoyed the ride from Bacolod to San Carlos City even before it was finished concrete.  It was like ridding on a wash board.  However, it made you travel slow and you could see everything.  Although the improved concrete has shaved about 30-40 minutes from the gravel before.  And of course you cannot beat the cool clear air!

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, RBM said:

Thought get this up and away while still fresh in mind as just back.

Lovely little senic trip is as follows, about 10km West of Don Salvadore or East if coming from San Carlos there is a prominent  Y intersection. Commonly used by the locals going Calatrava.

Once off the Bacolod road the new concrete highway is nice and windy offering lovely views of rice terraces and  currently it's super green.  Just about 1 km into the start on left side there is an elderly American whom lives  amid the beautiful bush with birds and mini water falls. He welcomes people there and keen to sell as wants return to the Stat(es, even built his own hydro station. I true little piece of paradise.

After  about 35 KM one can turn right to Calatrava (rough) or as we did carry on to Sagay. Almost all the road is concrete and the small amount of about to be concreted is not at all rough. The views run all the way to Sagay. Arriving Sagay we stopped for lunch by the new city hall, couple nice swimming pools, available at P70 for the day.

We did the trip on the bike and found no issues at all. Worth mentioning is now the road all the way to San Carlos has been completed and apart from the numerous sugar cane trucks is a pleasant run.

Hello RBM (you're not the cousin of LBM, are you),

Anywhooo, what kind of motorcycle do you and your partner ride?  Need some photos of your wonderful road trip. Bringing out a bowl of popcorn for your next travel blog......

Well done sir!

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jake said:

Anywhooo, what kind of motorcycle do you and your partner ride?  Need some photos of your wonderful road trip. Bringing out a bowl of popcorn for your next travel blog......

Well done sir!

Thanks for those nice comments.

I have two bikes, one is new Yamaha serow 250 for green trail riding the other a 2013 XTZ Yamaha 1200 super tenere which is my main bike. We do a lot of riding back roads following base Camps OSM on the garmin, kinda hobby of our.

Once of the main highways there are some outstanding views and and wonderful routes.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, intrepid said:

The views coming over the last mountains toward San Carlos City are some of the best IMHO.  You can see the city below, then you can see the island of Sipaway, and on the usually clear days you can see Cebu! I have always enjoyed the ride from Bacolod to San Carlos City even before it was finished concrete.  It was like ridding on a wash board.  However, it made you travel slow and you could see everything.  Although the improved concrete has shaved about 30-40 minutes from the gravel before.  And of course you cannot beat the cool clear air!

Yes pretty sights but in all honesty nothing compared to some of the views around Canlaon national park once one is off the main routes. We often use these back roads, bring our lunch and usually end up over night. Great people, once ended up in a rice paddy with the bike under water, (me also) the people were so wonderful almost cried, just could not do enough to help. Any financial reward was never even dreamed about....

Was very remote, bit of a crazy ride, went back a week later most on foot with a huge carton of Jolibee, sadly after 3 hours just could not find the place. Ended up giving the chicken to one of the poor workers whom almost had a heart attack. many of these guys never stray far from home base.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jake said:

Well done sir!

Thanks Jake and will do as seems some interest. have a Ipod so easy to post pics for a computer dummy like me. 

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We took the road from Bacolod ..... Murcia ..... Don Salvador Benedicto to San Carlos about 4 times both ways coming and going from Bacolod to Cebu before and during our move here ...... first time it was a bit scary in a SUV because of the trucks and buses and the fact we didn't know what to expect on what was around the next bend (and there are a lot of bends on that road)

Going back to Cebu the first time we took the road from Bacolod ..... Silay .... Cadis ... Escalante .... Toboso .... Calatrava to San Carlos to avoid the mountains and what a big mistake that road from Toboso to San Carlos was terrible .... mostly drove at 15-20km along most of that streach .... road was washboard gravel for the most part with stretches of perfect concrete just through some of the villages we saw only about 6 cars the whole way .... but there were no mountains to speak of .... :hystery:

I have lots of videos of all the places we go here in Negros including the entire trip to and from San Carlos to Bacolod (we use the car cam every time we leave the house) ..... but it takes so long for these videos to upload ... sometimes hours on a 2Mbps connection it isn't worth it .... used to upload some stuff to Youtube but that wasn't much better as either way it ties up my band width so that it lags terribly when I try to use it while uploading ....

Thanks for your report RBM and hope to read more in the future .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike S said:

We took the road from Bacolod ..... Murcia ..... Don Salvador Benedicto to San Carlos about 4 times both ways coming and going from Bacolod to Cebu before and during our move here ...... first time it was a bit scary in a SUV because of the trucks and buses and the fact we didn't know what to expect on what was around the next bend (and there are a lot of bends on that road)

Going back to Cebu the first time we took the road from Bacolod ..... Silay .... Cadis ... Escalante .... Toboso .... Calatrava to San Carlos to avoid the mountains and what a big mistake that road from Toboso to San Carlos was terrible .... mostly drove at 15-20km along most of that streach .... road was washboard gravel for the most part with stretches of perfect concrete just through some of the villages we saw only about 6 cars the whole way .... but there were no mountains to speak of .... :hystery:

I have lots of videos of all the places we go here in Negros including the entire trip to and from San Carlos to Bacolod (we use the car cam every time we leave the house) ..... but it takes so long for these videos to upload ... sometimes hours on a 2Mbps connection it isn't worth it .... used to upload some stuff to Youtube but that wasn't much better as either way it ties up my band width so that it lags terribly when I try to use it while uploading ....

Thanks for your report RBM and hope to read more in the future .... :thumbsup:

Yup can remember a year ago north Tobosa  on the Tenere slip siding all over, never forget.

Mike is a thing of the past now, we zipped from Escalante to San Carlos yesterday in 45 minutes, lovely long sweeping bends, nice trip. It's a lot better than south of San Carlos, will do a road report on it soon, may help a few travelers.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Mike is a thing of the past now, we zipped from Escalante to San Carlos yesterday in 45 minutes, lovely long sweeping bends, nice trip. It's a lot better than south of San Carlos, will do a road report on it soon, may help a few travelers.

:AddEmoticons04230: ... Super we are going to do a road trip going that way soon and probably spend the nite in San Carlos ..... we found a nice little motel there not far from the port .... people are really nice they even went across the street and bought us some breakfast rolls when the cook didn't show up to cook breakfast ..... they have a small kitchen there that fixes eggs and stuff in the morning .... didn't eat there any other time so not sure about other meals but will let everyone know when we get back .... also did a webcam there .... will look for it and post if I can ....

• Like 2