Recommendation on what Motorcycle to buy?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I rented a Honda XRM 125 which is great for going around Dumaguete, heading up to Valencia is ok but start noticing lack of power as the incline increases and I end up in 2nd gear poking along. An hour ride starts getting uncomfortable, 2 hours is about all I can stand.

So... I would like to ride to Don Salvador Benedicto from Duma, a 200km, 5+ hour ride up the coast and mountain. Seems foolish to try on a p68,000 XRM 125, what would be a good bike for this type of ride but still good in the city? (as a minimum to stay at low of a price point as possible). I rode a Kawasaki Avenger 220 (the seating position on this bike was great as I have nerve damage in my back and can't stand the leaning forward pocket rocket position) which seems good for the trip but it turns like the Titanic so I feel I would be risking safety in city riding.

I would love to get the p360,000 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650cc) but think it would feel like a tank in the city. Would the p97,000 Yamaha Sniper 150 be a good compromise? or would it not be good for longer trips either?

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Try an XR200. Years ago I was looking at what you are up against. XT 250 Serrow 200k. CRF 250 236k.

Prices are from EMCOR so probably a little high. Because of where you are, I wouldn't hold out too much hope of finding a good bigger used bike. There was a guy who was selling a CRF 250 in Dumaguete that he wanted basically new price for because of all his add on stuff but he finally sold it after a year plus. Personally I would have deducted his stuff from the price and charged him to put it back stock if he wanted to sell it to me, but I digress.

I have seen used Yamaha XT225 for sale at reasonable price ...on Cebu. Combine business with tourism could work.

Last I looked the sniper seat was on the narrow side....like most of the other small bikes.

Something for long trip that can deal with mountains for 100k, I could probably find a pretty nice owner type jeep. This is probably where the give up something to get something comes in.

Not knowing the severity of your exact problem it could be as simple as installing a +6mm crank pin and 3mm block shim on a TMX155 and leave the tricycle gears on it. But once again, I don't know where you could have that done around Duma, Cebu yes or Caloocan Manila yes, but not Duma.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Might want to have a look here: 

http://ph.priceprice.com/motorcycle/lowest-price-ranking/?displacement=401-750

I am also on the lookout for a big bike - as I'm based in Manila it makes sense to look at larger than 400c bikes, as only those are allowed on the expressways, which are a necessity to quickly leave the city.  

• 5 weeks later...
RAB
Posted
Posted

The robert k answer is cool--GOOD, kind of a filipino answer---hehehehe

• Like 4

RAB
Posted
Posted

I probably the most anti-scam guy you'll ever talk to, If I could find them--I 'd HURT them.

• 4 weeks later...
Apache8
Posted
Posted

I lived in Valencia and owned a Yamaha YZR with 154cc priced about P68,000. The bike is fast and light weight, very easy to handle and fuel efficient. The best bike for the money for me personally, and the Yamaha dealer in Dumaguete usually have one in stock. I also owned a Kawasaki 180cc and it was much heavier and not as comfortable to me. We traveled all over Negros Oriental, and the bike was efficient on trails, and very road friendly. I crashed the Kawasaki and just found it much harder to handle. Ask expats to drive their bikes and find what is comfortable for you.

• Like 2