Light Globes- Disapearing.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

We have lights outside the shop as a means of security, but for some reason over the last 3 days they have been disappearing, whilst I realise that there is the poor people in the Philippines I guess this is a way of replacing their globes at home.

The globes in question are the screw in type, so my thoughts are to put some Araldite, or something similar on the thread of the globe when installing the next lot.

Now this is by no means limited to the Philippines, as recently my daughter moved into a new unit in Australia, and all the light globes had been taken by the previous tenants, as well as the tap fittings.

Whilst living in Noosa Heads in Queensland I bought some plants for the front yard, when I cam out the next day they were gone.

Whilst discussing this with one of my mates that works for the Council he told me that the same thing happens with nearly everything they plant around the suburbs, they also just disappear.

My point is that this is not confined to the Philippines.

Thats all for now,I have to go and find a welder to make up a frame to fix around the globes, this could start out to be a hobby for me in retirement i.e. how to beat the light globe thief!

Cheers

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

We have lights outside the shop as a means of security, but for some reason over the last 3 days they have been disappearing, whilst I realise that there is the poor people in the Philippines I guess this is a way of replacing their globes at home.

The globes in question are the screw in type, so my thoughts are to put some Araldite, or something similar on the thread of the globe when installing the next lot.

Now this is by no means limited to the Philippines, as recently my daughter moved into a new unit in Australia, and all the light globes had been taken by the previous tenants, as well as the tap fittings.

Whilst living in Noosa Heads in Queensland I bought some plants for the front yard, when I cam out the next day they were gone.

Whilst discussing this with one of my mates that works for the Council he told me that the same thing happens with nearly everything they plant around the suburbs, they also just disappear.

Thats all for now,I have to go and find a welder to make up a frame to fix around the globes, this could start out to be a hobby for me in retirement i.e. how to beat the light globe thief!

Cheers

Maybe changing the fixture to a fluorescent tube light that won't fit their fixture will work?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

whilst I realise that there is the poor people in the Philippines I guess this is a way of replacing their globes at home.

Now you know why there is never any toilet paper in public restrooms :thumbsup::hystery:

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

Now you know why there is never any toilet paper in public restrooms :thumbsup::hystery:

Hahaha, that's what I was going to say. (grin)

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I have seen a metal cage locked onto the toilet tank to prevent stealing of the flush mechanism.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I have seen a metal cage locked onto the toilet tank to prevent stealing of the flush mechanism.

FUNNY

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Are these just bare bulbs hanging or posted with no plastic dome over them?  Usually the plastic dome or globe over a fixture is a decent deterrent to bulb stealing. On our perimeter wall lights we have kind of a welded "birdcage" type cover that can't be to readily lifted to get at the bulb. If this is a place of business though, it might not work for your situation.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

put some Araldite, or something similar on the thread of the globe when installing the next lot.

Of course you are laughing here but you do realize they will just break the light trying to get it out and then you have the problem of removing the broken bits and still replacing the bulb.

I think you need a security guard for a month or so.  If this is on ongoing theft then someone has figured out he can steal new light bulbs every day and sell them for 20 p in the squatters areas.  Its not going to stop util you stop it.

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Of course you are laughing here but you do realize they will just break the light trying to get it out and then you have the problem of removing the broken bits and still replacing the bulb.

I think you need a security guard for a month or so.  If this is on ongoing theft then someone has figured out he can steal new light bulbs every day and sell them for 20 p in the squatters areas.  Its not going to stop util you stop it.

Yes, I was jesting, however I am thinking of a way to make it harder for them.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Cheers

I think the offender is just 'some bright spark'

• Like 1