Budget Airlines???

mogo51
Posted
Posted

what a contradiction of terms this term is!  Have been trying for over a week to get a reasonable price for two tickets

Gold Coast, Australia to Manila late April.  

As much as I dislike Scoot airlines due to another problem last year that cost me over $700Au, they generally are the cheapest by quite a bit. Now not so much as I have discovered.  A 'special' fare to my email yesterday, base fare $170. allegedly $60 off each (2 of us flying).  Add baggage only 20kg, pick a seat (bit hard to stand all the way),scoot thru at Singapore (bags straight thtough onto Tiger to Manila, plus the old $40 booking fee rob, final  total $765Au, if you want to pay in Bht they rob you again.

We are looking at Philippine airlines, about $40 each extra, but direct flight, food and drinks, 30kg luggage, Singapore similar but a 4 hr stop over.

It all adds up to a total rob as far as I am concerned.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

you dont need to choose a seat and pay. They will not make you stand, you will just get a random seat :D.

760aud seems like a good price to me. Aud exchange rate is super crap at the moment.... Id pay the bit extra and fly direct. I think the Brisbane to Manila with Phillipines Airlines isnt direct tho and involves a stopover in Darwin.  You will prob spend the money you "save" waiting in Singapore for 4hours and buying food/drink with Scoot/Tiger.

Its an almost 8hour flight GC to Singa+your transfer time+3h40min flight Singa to Manila. So its 11.5h spent on airplane+time spent in Singapore...

Its 9.5hours Brisbane to Manila with Phillipines Airlines including an hour long stopover in Darwin.

Id go with Phillipines Airlines.

RBM
Posted
Posted

PAL stop over is in Cairns, believe just an hour.

To the OP apparently Air Asia have a big promo this time so may be worth checking out.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

you dont need to choose a seat and pay. They will not make you stand, you will just get a random seat :D.

760aud seems like a good price to me. Aud exchange rate is super crap at the moment.... Id pay the bit extra and fly direct. I think the Brisbane to Manila with Phillipines Airlines isnt direct tho and involves a stopover in Darwin.  You will prob spend the money you "save" waiting in Singapore for 4hours and buying food/drink with Scoot/Tiger.

Its an almost 8hour flight GC to Singa+your transfer time+3h40min flight Singa to Manila. So its 11.5h spent on airplane+time spent in Singapore...

Its 9.5hours Brisbane to Manila with Phillipines Airlines including an hour long stopover in Darwin.

Id go with Phillipines Airlines.

I just rechecked after reading your post and did not realise there was a Darwin Stop.  I have flown previously direct from Sydney, but not Brisbane.  My SO was relaying the details to me and in fact, it is  double the price of Scoot, the fare she did not realise was for one.  Thanks for drawing it to my attention. It is not limited to Scoot, More searching and these other booking sites do the same thing.  Thought I had a win yesterday with a Scoot to Singapore/then Manila with Philippine airlines, but the same thing, fare ended up $850 for both, when it was showing $780, which I was going to pay - no explanation.  Again I suspect booking fees and dodgy exchange rates.

Will keep looking.

Of course, I realise they would give me a seat, or strap me to the wing, which ever was more convenient for them, lol.  My post was centred around the false pubishing of low pricing and then gouge everything

ey can from you.  Maybe next will be a toilet tax.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Maybe next will be a toilet tax.

Oooh I can see it now:  "Free Stewed Prunes with all meals"  and then "Toilet tax 100 pesos"

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Oooh I can see it now:  "Free Stewed Prunes with all meals"  and then "Toilet tax 100 pesos"

News flash, new special tax 'tooth marks on toilet door tax' 200 pesos!

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Years ago good ol Ryanair was planing on starting to charge to use the toilet :D.

Yeah it seemed abit strange that Phillipines Airlines would be as cheap as Airasia. Id say your choices are Scoot or Jetstar via Singapore or Airasia via Kuala Lumpur. Flights in Australia are so damn expensive, that i dont see a point in looking to fly either to Darwin or Perth and from there into Asia. 

Scoot still sounds like a good deal to me :D.

Remember to clean your history and cookies + use a private browsing mode on Your browser if possible. Some websites track on what you search and the price will start going up.

And I personally like the fact that baggage etc is extra. I fly mostly hand luggage only and save quite alot of money because of it.

Edited by Sander Martin

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Not sure what your Philippines plans are but you can probably save a few $ by flying Singapore to Clark rather than Manila.  Typically Manila will be more expensive than Clark.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Not sure if the CebuPacific site works for you but just for fun I plugged in the cost from Sydney to Manila and back, non stop, for a 3 week visit.  The cheap flights start at about 692 Aus dollars

56e533363a593_StoM.thumb.png.b98209c1a12

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not sure if the CebuPacific site works for you but just for fun I plugged in the cost from Sydney to Manila and back, non stop, for a 3 week visit.  The cheap flights start at about 692 Aus dollars

56e533363a593_StoM.thumb.png.b98209c1a12

I tried this option with Scoot to Singapore, then Cebu Pacific, more expensive than  using Scoot all the way.But thanks Dave for the advice.  I think I have covered all bases. It sems Scoot is the best deal, and only 2hrs stopover in SNG.  Just going to try a large travel agent here tomorrow, if no good, will book Scoot before the U beaut deal expires!  

Apparently, there is also a 'mind changing charge' during the flight in case you interfere with the instruments, as they are only on loan to them!