Uni vs College Compared to Western Standards

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Please correct me if I have this wrong. My understanding of what is called a College in RP is little different than what would be High School in the States or Canada.

1. Is a RP University any different than a RP College?

2. For a American or Canadian adult looking to study at a Western university level, what schools, if any, would provide that level of instruction?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Howdy North, this is what I KNOW from family experience. Until recently high school only went to grade 10 by our USA standards. Then students would proceed to College or University for 4 years. So by our standards a 4 Year Philippine degree is equivalent to our Associate of Arts degree.

Example 1. Way back when, when my wife moved to the states, she had a heck of a time explaining to potential employers that she was a "college" graduate.

Example 2. I have 3 nieces who have graduated from Philippine nursing university's. 2 live in the USA and 1 in Australia. All 3 have had to take extra courses at local schools to meet those country educational requirements.

Having said that, just recently they have extended High School to 12 years, just to bring the educational system in line with the majority of the industrialized world. So things might change in the future.

Don't know if this answered your question. just my experience

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

i find college more of a cross between a vocational school and the free night courses we could all take in basket-weaving and pottery classes...  seriously, some of the college courses...?  really should not be a college course...

as for university?  i'm finding that the standards are pretty close to what we have in canada and the usa...  i'll let the others decide for themselves...  and, when i say close...?  maybe a little on the light side but still covers most of the same material...  i have friends who have recently graduated teacher's college, nursing, doctors and (ahem) fine arts in pottery...

:whistling:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It depends. More than a few are nothing more than diploma mills most are better. It's a fact that some Filipino Universities are up to international standards.

• Like 1