Where would you stay?

Ynot
Posted
Posted (edited)

In about 14 months I will be there, renting a house at first whilst I look for somewhere to buy and then build.  I get the feeling you get better value if you build a house yourself instead of going through a package deal.  From what I can gather what you get in a package deal is over priced considering you can buy land and build a house for less, but that's my opinion.  

But my question is, do you live in gated community or do you live amongst the locals?  Previously I built a house in Thailand amongst the locals and have never felt threatened whilst staying there.  Yet from what I've read on the posts a lot of people recommend living in a gate community as supposedly its safer! Perhaps bad news makes the papers more so than good, therefore all we read about is when the foreigner was stabbed, shot or killed.  Good news stories don't sell as well.   Nevertheless, what have you chosen to do?  Are you living amongst the locals or are you holed up in your gated community, from which some accounts is not all that safe!

Edited by Ynot
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

My sister in law moved into a gated community from her old place , the old place was in a place where i would never live but she was there for many years so everyone new each other, the only reason she moved was for the kids sake,

But this new place well its just like her old place but there is space between the houses, dogs running everywhere, roasters making noises all the time, cars everywhere some abandoned , yet there are signs up at the gatehouse saying none of these are allowed, may be its down to what you are wanting and what you can afford, by the way the new house she brought was over 2.4 million peso but with intrest its going to be over 4 million

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ynot said:

In about 14 months I will be there, renting a house at first whilst I look for somewhere to buy and then build.  I get the feeling you get better value if you build a house yourself instead of going through a package deal.  From what I can gather what you get in a package deal is over priced considering you can buy land and build a house for less, but that's my opinion.  

But my question is, do you live in gated community or do you live amongst the locals?  Previously I built a house in Thailand amongst the locals and have never felt threatened whilst staying there.  Yet from what I've read on the posts a lot of people recommend living in a gate community as supposedly its safer! Perhaps bad news makes the papers more so than good, therefore all we read about is when the foreigner was stabbed, shot or killed.  Good news stories don't sell as well.   Nevertheless, what have you chosen to do?  Are you living amongst the locals or are you holed up in your gated community, from which some accounts is not all that safe!

They put on a good news radio station once and it lasted about 6 months, nobdy wants to feel good anymore!

I havethe same time frame as you and I have the same quandry as you.  I want to have easy access to a pool so I am down to gated community or condo.  I need the pool for back exercise and love to swim.

We will rent for awhile, see what floats our boat.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I want to have easy access to a pool

Make sure to check if the pool is free.  I rented a place not knowing that the pool was p150 per use.

• Like 4

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I just moved into walled community in Cabanatuan and have to say I would even feel safe here even in the event of a zombie apocalypse.  The community is still new and have yet to meet the neighbors, but most of them of are well off (businessmen, doctors, etc).  I see security patrols driving around about every 30 mins.  Hoping it stays this way in future.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Hoping it stays this way in future.

Ahhh! Now there is the Question. Tomorrow is another day

• Like 3

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ahhh! Now there is the Question. Tomorrow is another day

If I could predict the future, I would've already won the lottery ;)

• Like 2