Where would you stay?

chris49
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Ynot said:

In about 14 months I will be there, renting a house at first whilst I look for somewhere to buy and then build.  I get the feeling you get better value if you build a house yourself instead of going through a package deal.  From what I can gather what you get in a package deal is over priced considering you can buy land and build a house for less, but that's my opinion.  

But my question is, do you live in gated community or do you live amongst the locals?  Previously I built a house in Thailand amongst the locals and have never felt threatened whilst staying there.  Yet from what I've read on the posts a lot of people recommend living in a gate community as supposedly its safer! Perhaps bad news makes the papers more so than good, therefore all we read about is when the foreigner was stabbed, shot or killed.  Good news stories don't sell as well.   Nevertheless, what have you chosen to do?  Are you living amongst the locals or are you holed up in your gated community, from which some accounts is not all that safe!

I don't know what you might do. What city/province will this be in?

One major drawback of trying to own and build within a gated subdivision are the rules and regulations on construction within the subdivision. I'm thinking that without an architect and a recognized contractor you might not get planning permission to build.

When I had the money. I looked at an area in Silang, Cavite, just down from Tagaytay. The minimum lot offered was 600 sqm and I think the minimum size of a house was 2000 sqm and it had to be in Spanish motif. I figured out it would cost at least 10 M pesos to construct such a house. Yes this is an extreme example, but subdivisions do have there own rules and regs.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, chris49 said:

One major drawback of trying to own and build within a gated subdivision are the rules and regulations on construction within the subdivision. I'm thinking that without an architect and a recognized contractor you might not get planning permission to build.

Our Filipino friends built in a gated neighborhood and used the contractor who was building the cookie cutter standard houses to build theirs to their specs.  Probably not the most cost effective way, but they got exactly what they wanted and were able to see a lot of the contractor's work before they went that route.  The contractor had done other custom designs, not just the cookie cutter houses, and the quality looks quite good to me.

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, chris49 said:

I don't know what you might do. What city/province will this be in?

When I had the money. I looked at an area in Silang, Cavite, just down from Tagaytay. The minimum lot offered was 600 sqm and I think the minimum size of a house was 2000 sqm and it had to be in Spanish motif. I figured out it would cost at least 10 M pesos to construct such a house. Yes this is an extreme example, but subdivisions do have there own rules and regs.

That must be a typo?  My place is only 150 sqm at The North Grove in Cabanatuan and cost me just over 5 M pesos.  BTW - I saw someone in my subdivision driving a Lamborghini.  Who in their right mind would drive one of those here?  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, ITGeek said:

BTW - I saw someone in my subdivision driving a Lamborghini.  Who in their right mind would drive one of those here?  

:89: Someone that can afford to, I Guess. :laugh:

Sorry sir, could not resist this

1 hour ago, ITGeek said:

My place is only 150 sqm at The North Grove in Cabanatuan and cost me just over 5 M pesos.

But then, Who in there right mind pays 5 mil peso for 150 sq mtrs of land? (or is this another Typo)

Jack.:Happy:

Morning All:morning1:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I'm curious- in your views, is choosing a gated subdivision a lifestyle preference or strictly about security? I would think that living among many fellow well-off people, local and foreigners alike, would seem to make a subdivision a magnet or desirable place to target. As with anywhere are there not often "inside jobs" of break-ins unrelated to the specific security staff? What do you think?

In our area in the province, I'm not knowing who the particular thieves  or undesirables might be. I would think though, that being an unknown faceless "rich" foreigner behind a quiet wall, or a complaining intimidating type foreigner, would be an easier and more enjoyable target to hit over a visible, more well-known resident. No guarantees of course.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ITGeek said:

That must be a typo?  My place is only 150 sqm at The North Grove in Cabanatuan and cost me just over 5 M pesos.  BTW - I saw someone in my subdivision driving a Lamborghini.  Who in their right mind would drive one of those here?  

200 sqm house Jack, sorry..not 2000. Tagaytay and nearby is very upmarket.  Note that it's a 600 sqm lot minimum size in this particular subdivision.

Once you buy a 600 sqm lot, the subdivision rules kick in as I have mentioned above.

Edited by chris49

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, chris49 said:

My place is only 150 sqm

3 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Note that it's a 600 sqm lot minimum size in this particular subdivision.

So what is the actual lot size the OP bought? cos this is going to get confusing if 150 SM cost him 5 mil easy basics say that the 600 SM would be 20 Mil Now that, is just so Unrealistic.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Make sure to check if the pool is free.  I rented a place not knowing that the pool was p150 per use.

I am the same as you, use a pool for exercise and back issue so it is  important to me to find a clean, free pool wherever we rent or buy.  That does narrow it down to either gated community or Condos.