Where would you stay?

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RBM said:

One point I would like to make regarding building or buying in an established area with locals is SMOKE.

Over the years we have rented many different places in different cities, towns. We hear much noise about dogs, kareoke, loud music, noisy motors how ever my worst and sadly most common experience is smoke. Locals seem obsessed about lighting fires, many say it's for the Mosquitos how ever it's seems more an obsession. Nothing worse than relaxing with a coffee and suddenly the room is full of smoke. Apparently most of the locals are OK with it and never seem to complain.

We almost bought a lot in a lovely well established quiet sub division, full of trees and shade. Loved it, problem was every time we visited during negotiations, maids and I guess owners were raking up leaves and burning them. Talking to some of the more affluent owners they weren't in the slightest bothered.

Eventually we bought and built in a quarter full sub division, no guards,  few trees which I hated, how ever free from my pet hate smoke.

Confuscious say 'Where there's smoke there is fire'

Edited by mogo51

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Bungalows are my only option

Yes, I think the older we get, the better off we are with bungalows.  My wife is also tired of chasing the youngins up and down the stairs.  Also, my experience tells me that most multi story homes are much harder to cool on the upper floors, and thus use more energy.

All of this is why I found a bungalow that we will be moving to next month.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Edited as it was of no Use at all in the End but I will try and do better

My fault and I apologize i did not realize it was a Blog Page.lines (Bart).jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just to put things out of Confusions way.
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, RBM said:

One point I would like to make regarding building or buying in an established area with locals is SMOKE.

Over the years we have rented many different places in different cities, towns. We hear much noise about dogs, kareoke, loud music, noisy motors how ever my worst and sadly most common experience is smoke. Locals seem obsessed about lighting fires, many say it's for the Mosquitos how ever it's seems more an obsession. Nothing worse than relaxing with a coffee and suddenly the room is full of smoke. Apparently most of the locals are OK with it and never seem to complain.

We almost bought a lot in a lovely well established quiet sub division, full of trees and shade. Loved it, problem was every time we visited during negotiations, maids and I guess owners were raking up leaves and burning them. Talking to some of the more affluent owners they weren't in the slightest bothered.

Eventually we bought and built in a quarter full sub division, no guards,  few trees which I hated, how ever free from my pet hate smoke.

i too despised the smoke until recently...   my Amazing Other has a problem around her neighborhood with king cobras...  they love to hide under the leaves until it rains (where upon they all descend towards her house) or someone decides to walk past...  not an option i want to find out about...

:whistling:

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2016 at 7:03 AM, i am bob said:

i too despised the smoke until recently...   my Amazing Other has a problem around her neighborhood with king cobras...  they love to hide under the leaves until it rains (where upon they all descend towards her house) or someone decides to walk past...  not an option i want to find out about...

:whistling:

These snakes are or can be found anywhere in these islands. Even in the cities as times. We live in a rather rural area but still within a town. We have found small (poison) snakes around and under things right outside the kitchen door. Most snakes hunt for food at night and will seek cool shady places to sleep during the day. Here, we humans are the invaders as they were here long before any of us. Just pays to be careful where ever we are and never put your hands into a place you can not see.

I use to live on a little island (like Gilligan's Island) in Masbate Province years ago. There, living in a nipa hut without running water, electric power etc, a snake check was done 3 times per day inside each room of the house. Often times small cobras and other snakes and scorpions were found and then turned loose in the jungle outside. Living there we had no need of signs posted that would read safety first. Actually was pretty fun way to live after learning what to do.

Nephi

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
increased font size
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Nephi said:

I use to live on a little island (like Gilligan's Island) in Masbate Province years ago. There, living in a nipa hut without running water, electric power etc, a snake check was done 3 times per day inside each room of the house. Often times small cobras and other snakes and scorpions were found and then turned loose in the jungle outside. Living there we had no need of signs posted that would read safety first. Actually was pretty fun way to live after learning what to do.

:89: Well here have it, there is Provincial Living and Provincial living, I prefer my somewhat developed Provincial Living based on this Post :thumbsup:

Jack:cool:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Well here have it, there is Provincial Living and Provincial living, I prefer my somewhat developed Provincial Living based on this Post :thumbsup:

Jack:cool:

Morning All:morning1:

Yea me too. Now that I'm older and with health issues it would be difficult or impossible to live on that little island. I'm thankful for the experience there though. Imagine jumping in the ocean in the afternoon; diving down maybe 20 feet or so and coming up with huge shell fish for dinner and sometimes hand-catching regular fish. No smog, No noisy sterrios, no traffic. Just island, jungle, and ocean with some snakes and huge bats to make life interesting. Priceless experiecne.

Nephi

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nephi said:

Just island, jungle, and ocean with some snakes and huge bats to make life interesting. Priceless experiecne.

Sounds wonderful. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Sounds wonderful. :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

It was in many ways. Biggest adjustment was no electric power at all.Water from an open well, and no phone service-period.Made life both easier and more difficult at the same time.

People so primitive that one night I was standing outside at almost dark. A commercial airline flew over at maybe 30,000 feet or so and left a bright white contrail behind it. Looking at it for a minute or two they always look as if they are going straight up rather than across the sky.

Well, just about that time an old man in his late 80's or so stopped there with me. In his more than broken English, he looked at the airliner and also at the stars that were just becoming visible. Serious as a heart attack this old man looks at the stars and asks me ""which one is America?" Now, how in the world do you explain that or give an answer that is within this old mans grasp? As amazing as it sounds, this is a true story--it happened to me.

I remember too that social development is thousands of years behind on this little island. A good example of just one more thing I witnessed.

Two men in their early 30's, lifelong friends had an argument. It began by words. Angry words that evidently did not solve the problem. It then moved to throwing sticks and finally rocks at each other with the real intent to do harm.

None of this ended the heated arguement. So the two of them headed to the jungle with Bolos (machetes) to insure the argument was settled once and for all. It was. The entire barrio (village) followed along to witness the event. I also went as I'd never seen anything like that before.

It took about 15 minutes of bravado on the part of both men before they started to swing the machetes. From there it was only another 4 or maybe 5 minutes and the argument was settled. Only one came home from the jungle. The other left there to become food for a very large python that made the jungle it's home. 

Found out later the argument was only over a torn fishing net! Beautiful place with people I loved dearly. But make no mistake; it is a place that is stone age primitive where the only law is the law of the jungle that is enforced quickly and without second chance.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nephi said:

The other left there to become food for a very large python that made the jungle it's home. 

I know of an almost identical story from a backwater, rural area.  Ex gf's uncle.  His brother buried him in a quickly scooped out shallow grave and got the heck out of there before he was next.  The argument was over politics though.

• Like 1