Where would you stay?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Having been in a similar situation, I discovered one thing that helped.  DO NOT let any rodents into the house.  Poison them, trap them, sticky paper them or whatever you have to do.  If you get one in the room then kill it and wash any possible entry point with bleach.

I found that snakes can 'smell' the trail of where a mouse has been and will follow him into your bedroom.  No mice means no snakes, or such was my experience

Nog nice Dave, don't bring this thing to 'drinkies'

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Having been in a similar situation, I discovered one thing that helped.  DO NOT let any rodents into the house.  Poison them, trap them, sticky paper them or whatever you have to do.  If you get one in the room then kill it and wash any possible entry point with bleach.

I found that snakes can 'smell' the trail of where a mouse has been and will follow him into your bedroom.  No mice means no snakes, or such was my experience

That is true for sure. Problem was is the house was a standard, porous, nipa hut in the jungle. Plus many of the snakes that would get in the house were just babies with the diameter of a pencil. Made life interesting and kept me on my toes---especially if going to the bathroom at night.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
ITGeek
Posted
Posted
On 3/27/2016 at 7:56 AM, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Someone that can afford to, I Guess. :laugh:

Sorry sir, could not resist this

But then, Who in there right mind pays 5 mil peso for 150 sq mtrs of land? (or is this another Typo)

Jack.:Happy:

Morning All:morning1:

One that came from California where similar house/lot would cost 20m peso (400k USD).  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)

An old post yes, one I only found because another member hit the like button, restart or continue totally up to the powers that be but I found it interesting with some great stories and info, Nephi that must have been an interesting time in your life, brave man.

The topic is where to stay, I go along with Queenie O for my choice but as many members point out every ones milage is different. Rent/buy, family, location, affordability/budget, commitment, geographical problems etc. Other members wisely point out in this thread and others that neighbourhoods can change very quickly so renting gives an easier out as opposed to buying. The difficulty for us and others is finding a decent house to rent in the location you want. For us we wanted ocean front, large lot, close to markets, hospitals, very quiet neighbourhood, LOL some travel distance to the 5,000 relatives but not too far. For 3 years we looked at rentals and sales, not one rental even close to what we wanted, plenty for sale, many that suited our needs but with ridiculous prices to boot. We all make our choices both good and bad through life whether personal or financial, thank God we are all individuals and can communicate our experiences.

Nephi/readers, where we live in Oz we have Coastal Taipans, King Browns, Browns, Red Bellied Blacks, Roughies etc, scorpions,  200mm Centipedes, large Huntsmen spiders seem find their way into our house from time to time, a rendered brick veneer house with all openings screened, got me how they get in but they do. I am sure we will have many nasties on the beach in La Union as well as Typhoons and possibly Tsunamis the later we hope not, gotta die of something.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by bigpearl
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Ahhh Steve, Oz what a wonderful, dangerous place.

Just back from Vietnam, put it on the bucket list.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Ahhh Steve, Oz what a wonderful, dangerous place.

Just back from Vietnam, put it on the bucket list.

We certainly have but other things dictate our lives at the moment, as said after we settle into our new home in a couple of years Vietnam is a priority, cheaper also to fly from the Philippines. Hope to catch up for a beer one day.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I've just seen this thread too. A very interesting read, has there been any feedback from the OP?

In my case, we bought and built in a rural spot on the outskirts of Marbel. 425sqm plot, house interior is 88sqm, with wraparound verandah brings size up to 144sqm under roof. We built in clay blocks so no cement screed or painting required inside or out, just very nice pointing work. Bespoke doors, windows and kitchen, all to my design. The fence is 3 blocks base with 12ft Bagakay resting on it, good for 5-7 years and also fits nicely into the environment. The total cost inclusive furnishing etc came in at P1.8m plus P260,000 for the plot. We have no piped in water, too far away from the road, so have a well with electric pump which gives very good water pressure and is also good to drink, negating the hassle of buying drinking water. We are both very happy here and very pleased with the quality of the workmanship in all areas of the build. For security we have the aforementioned fence and two large dogs running loose plus a security light outside above the electric meter. 

There are nine plots, all sold, at this location. A German guy has bought two opposite us and is halfway through his build. Two of the others have bahay kubo on them, one owned by a policeman the other by a schoolteacher, the remaining plots are still agricultural, fruit trees mainly. There are some neighbours a few hundred metres away who are very friendly and so we all get on and look out for each other. Regarding gated communities, my thoughts on this are "not for me" that sort of living has never appealed to me but to each his own. I have a friend in Gensan that bought in one of those, the top of the range house similar in floor space to mine but over two floors, mines a bungalow, that cost him P6m and in my opinion a low quality build.  His plot is so small that he has no garden whatsoever not even to hang out laundry.

As for swimming, I am lucky in that there is a resort with pool less than 15 minute walk away that is P35 for use of pool. Which is very quiet on weekday mornings, shut Monday and Tuesday for cleaning pool out, very busy at weekends though.

All in all I am happy with the choices I have made living here and am enjoying my retirement, it doesn't get any better than that.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bigpearl said:

We certainly have but other things dictate our lives at the moment, as said after we settle into our new home in a couple of years Vietnam is a priority, cheaper also to fly from the Philippines. Hope to catch up for a beer one day.

Cheers, Steve.

Most definately