Eating in Philippine restaurants vs dining at home

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Domino22 said:

I have read that in Dumagete a lot of places cater to the university crowd. And those are the places to check out. For cheap food. I will bring my knives and a few other things to cook with. I had some great meals and so so meals last February when I went to Bohol and Panglao. I think my food budget is higher than my rent budget, but all is open to change as needed.

I had a post up but it's been a while. $10 is 470 pesos probably rounded off to 500.

I'm married or was last I checked.

Here locally in 1-2 carinderia's I have tried. They offer one main dish with one vegetable, Ilocano style. 75 pesos with rice. Maybe with a soft drink 100. No tip unless there is odd change. Must be early in the day because the food is out at 10 AM.  That's your main meal for 100 and build around that you would not reach 500/day.

Save the excess for a better meal a few times/week. Menu is good but it's repeated the same each day.

I am not sure how long you are planning to remain single. But my experience is you will exceed 500 if with a companion.

You said on the other post $1000 which might be manageable. I think $1500 covers everything with a small cushion for extras and emergencies.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Domino22
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies. I will buy a motorcycle when I arrive for good. I just rent one now for my exploring trips. For my November trip I bought soft sided "Kriega" luggage that is made for a motorcycle. Last trip was a backpack and one small carry on luggage, it worked but the new setup should work better. As for the $1000 a month budget I have some unknowns in that amount. Rent 15,000 pesos on the high end would like to find a place for 10,000. All I need is a small studio-hotwater-aircon-safe as safe can be-a balcony or patio with some type of view. I do not want to live in a big city but within one in 20 to 30 minutes. Just say Duma would be a big city. So maybe Bacong-Dauin-Sibulan-Valencia? Now I read about electric costs and internet costs etc so I am not sure what those costs will be. A smaller place would be cheaper to cool but it could cost more on how much you use it. Last February I traveled Bohol and Panglao I looked at a 2 bedroom 2 bath with hot water one aircon and free wifi around 700=800 square feet with a guard from 6pm to 6 am for 5000 pesos a month on the north side of Bohol. But from the balcony across the creek someone had a lot of plywood chicken tents built and I could just not take that noise when they go off!

Back to the $10 a day food budget. I was on vacation and I still work so money was not an issue at all when it came to food. I ate where ever I wanted to and that included some side of the road places, high end resorts, and Mcdonalds one time. But in the back of my mind I was paying attention to the costs of food in the malls and stores and restaurants. I could not maintain that cost in retirement like I am on vacation and have a job to go back to. I may run into some of you in Duma in November. Thanks

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

A U.S. perspective: My wife and I do like to eat out maybe twice a week. As a small Filipina she cannot possibly eat an entire fat person US meal. I can, but can barely walk out of the place if I do. So generally, we split an entree. 

The other day we went to a high-end resto for our 3rd anniversary. We go high-end maybe twice a year. I'm sure we disappointed the waiter expecting a big bill and comparable tip. We split the surf and turf and added an order of the resto's legendary onion rings. We also split a glass of wine. The onion ring appetizer cost more than you would spend for two at even a good restaurant in the Philippines. Despite our cheap-assed measures, the total bill was nearly what I expect we might spend monthly on restaurants when we are living in the Philippines. 

What was interesting is because of the prices, it led to a conversation about rich vs. poor. Janet knew that despite our cost savings measures we were spending more on that meal than her family spends on food for - hell, maybe a couple of weeks or more. Here was how the convo went:

"I am poor," stated Janet.

"Well if you're poor you're eating surf and turf and $12 onion rings," I said laughing.

"You are rich and I am poor."

"The surf and turf doesn't know the difference and neither does the waiter."

"Still, I'm poor."

"You realize I know how much you've have in the bank. Even by American standards, you're not poor. You could easily afford this meal. Hell, you could afford to eat here weekly."

"I would never pay for this - that's your job," she laughed.

Frankly even when we are in the Philippines where the portions are smaller, we still often split a meal.

My ex-wife always ordered the most expensive thing on the menu. In fact she often wanted to order two entrees so she could try both and take the extra home. Of course I paid.

I guess my whole point is that so far at least I am lucky. Janet's a good cook and when we eat out she is very aware of trying to save some of her rich kano's money :smile:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

We never go high end. Quite a few years ago we stopped at Outback in Libis (a favorite of mine from my visits to the USA). I was horrified in that a steak was 1200-1500 and the salads  etc were extra. We ordered something small and got the hell out of there still feeling hungry.

There are a number of buffets around Metro Manila which offer a much better deal. Vikings on top at around 850......and others well below that.

Eating out is a rare treat which we enjoy on our visits to MM. Eating at home is better day to day.

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Nothing unusual over dropping $30 on a really good steak....

Just saying.

chris49
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Nothing unusual over dropping $30 on a really good steak....

Just saying.

Or $40 depends on the size.

But in paying that at Outback you get unli salads bread and etc. Something I have always enjoyed at Sizzler Lone Star and similar joints. The Olive Garden but not steak.

A frozen steak served in the Philippines is not usually worth it. Chilli's is ok but some of their other entrees are better value.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, chris49 said:

Or $40 depends on the size.

But in paying that at Outback you get unli salads bread and etc. Something I have always enjoyed at Sizzler Lone Star and similar joints. The Olive Garden but not steak.

A frozen steak served in the Philippines is not usually worth it. Chilli's is ok but some of their other entrees are better value.

40+ is more like it in my city - at least for a good steak.

At our next anniversary, I might have the Filet Mignon at Mooon Cafe in Dumaguete. I don't know whether it's frozen and I don't want to know what's actually in it :smile:. All I know is that it tastes good, although I might have been unduly influenced by the $7 price :hystery:

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/21/2016 at 5:59 AM, sonjack2847 said:

The only downside to eating for me is the amount of salt they use in their meals.I had an omelette in Dalaguete and it would have been nice if they put some eggs with the salt.

Nice to read this Kevin,  thought I was the only  one whom struck this. We continually try to remember informing the waitress many times, have her repeat no salt. Have had fried eggs tasting  of salt and little else.

The other issue we experience is trying  to explain we do not eat red meats.....Now to short circuit this my partner explains I have an allergy with red meats, works great. Explaining one is vegetarian or semi is next to impossible.

• Like 2