Making a will

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Is there anything stopping a man married to a Filipina leaving his part of the estate to somebody else?

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Is there anything stopping a man married to a Filipina leaving his part of the estate to somebody else?

Problem as I would see it Kev would be to find somebody honest enough to carry out your wishes. An attorney would be the last one I would trust, although perhaps there are exceptions.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
On 4/23/2016 at 11:02 AM, sonjack2847 said:

Oh yes mate! it is called the line of Inheritance. Remember though, we own Nothing so  what part of Nothing would you want to leave someone.:huh: Even if (God Forbid) your SO goes First any property will only be come Yours for the Duration, you can't sell it or will it Then the Inheritance thing Comes in and the Skeletons come out of the Cupboard.

I know that this is maybe not what you want to hear mate but..............:shades:

Jack:56da632e94212_1(60):

Morning All.:morning1:

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I was told literally that I cannot even will a watch to anyone !

thats the Philippines way expats can invest but it still belong to the Philippines !

anyway I knew all this before we retired to the Philippines .

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I know that this is maybe not what you want to hear mate but

I don't see why not, cost 2000 pesos to draw up a will, but unless the assets are accessible electronically or still in the home country, good luck on the beneficiaries' ever getting their inheritance.

A bit pessimistic? You bet. Realistic? I think so.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I thought that is why they push so hard to get married. to be sure they don't miss anything in the 'estate'.  Anyway, I would expect that a wife could contest any will but you'd have a better chance on stuff not located in Philippines, such as a life insurance policy in another country with your children as beneficiary..

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Oh yes mate! it is called the line of Inheritance. Remember though, we own Nothing so  what part of Nothing would you want to leave someone.:huh: Even if (God Forbid) your SO goes First any property will only be come Yours for the Duration, you can't sell it or will it Then the Inheritance thing Comes in and the Skeletons come out of the Cupboard.

I know that this is maybe not what you want to hear mate but..............:shades:

This is what I got from study on the question.

Remember that it is contrary to law for a Philippines national to will real property (land) to a foreigner.

A foreigner can only inherit a portion of real property (land) from a Philippines spouse who dies intestate.

Then, they are only to retain said portion of real property a reasonable amount of time to dispose of it properly which entails transferring it to a Philippines national.

50% of the estate by law goes to the mandatory, first tier heirs (children). The foreigner spouse would be in the second tier, a much enlarged group in which the first tier (children) get to double dip into the second tier along with other relatives.

A Philippines national can will 50% of their estate to anyone they desire, even a foreigner, as long as that doesn't include land. Also if the Philippine national has a will, a foreigner will inherit no land as any attempt to will land to a foreigner will be void.

Has anyone mentioned that foreigners are not permitted to own land? I think they really mean it. Like Jack, I think it is an unpleasant truth, but worth knowing.:89:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Nothing I know of. I even question whether as a foreigner if your estate would be governed by your birth country's rules or Philippines rules. Estate law can be funny.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

The info is not for me Jack I was asking for someone else.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

The info is not for me Jack I was asking for someone else.

:thumbsup: