DNA test law in Kuwait

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Wonder if this will one day be enforced everywhere? :56da64a413b01_3_12_311:

Kuwait set to enforce DNA testing law on all – Officials reassure tests won’t be used to determine genealogy

KUWAIT: The DNA testing law that will go into effect this year is aimed at creating an integrated security database and does not include genealogical implications or affects personal freedoms and privacy. Senior officials told Kuwait Times that the law, the first of its kind in the world, will only be used for criminal security purposes. When the law (no. 78/2015) is applied, it will be binding on all citizens, expatriates and visitors too. A Kuwaiti security delegation had earlier visited Washington to study DNA testing systems there.

The National Assembly passed the DNA testing law on July 2, 2015 that will be mandatory on everyone in Kuwait in order to fight crime and terrorism. Kuwait Times was given exclusive and rare access to the DNA lab located at the General Department of Criminal Evidence in Dajeej in an effort to learn more about the latest developments regarding the law.

Senior officials in charge of the project, who spoke to Kuwait Times on the condition of anonymity, explained how the database will be used, the process of collecting samples and privacy concerns.

In an effort to learn more about the latest updates with regards to the DNA tests that will be applied in Kuwait this year on citizens, expatriates and visitors, Kuwait Times conducted the following interview with senior officials in charge with implementing the project at the Interior Ministry’s General Department of Criminal Evidence:

Full Story

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

It would be easier to do in Kuwait than the Philippines. Population for one thing. The other problem would be to get people to volunteer. What if they refused or neglected to give their DNA? Like put it off til manana. Would it considered a crime if they didn't? What penalty? Maybe if the people were given an incentive, like MONEY. That always opens eyes.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Cross off Kuwait on the list of places to visit.

• Like 3

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
On 4/26/2016 at 1:50 PM, earthdome said:

Cross off Kuwait on the list of places to visit.

Duh!!!:89:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2016 at 8:59 PM, Gratefuled said:

It would be easier to do in Kuwait than the Philippines. Population for one thing. The other problem would be to get people to volunteer. What if they refused or neglected to give their DNA? Like put it off til manana. Would it considered a crime if they didn't? What penalty? Maybe if the people were given an incentive, like MONEY. That always opens eyes.

What I read was this will take place at the airport. You have no choice take the test or you will be on the next flight out. 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

What I read was this will take place at the airport. You have no choice take the test or you will be on the next flight out. 

Where does it say this?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Where does it say this?

c. From Visitors: Collection will be done at a special center at Kuwait International Airport, where in collaboration with the Civil Aviation Department, airlines and embassies, visitors will be advised on their rights and duties towards the DNA law.

Q: Will the law be applied to foreign visitors? What if they refuse to take the test?

Yes, the test will be mandatory for visitors. As the executors are responsible to collect and examine samples, we will notify relevant authorities about whoever refuses to give a sample so that they could apply the measures stipulated in the law. We will also coordinate with various airlines and foreign embassies in Kuwait so that all visitors can have a good idea about the law and the possible consequences of rejecting its procedures.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

c. From Visitors: Collection will be done at a special center at Kuwait International Airport, where in collaboration with the Civil Aviation Department, airlines and embassies, visitors will be advised on their rights and duties towards the DNA law.

Q: Will the law be applied to foreign visitors? What if they refuse to take the test?

Yes, the test will be mandatory for visitors. As the executors are responsible to collect and examine samples, we will notify relevant authorities about whoever refuses to give a sample so that they could apply the measures stipulated in the law. We will also coordinate with various airlines and foreign embassies in Kuwait so that all visitors can have a good idea about the law and the possible consequences of rejecting its procedures.

This is not stated in the original post. That's what I'm saying. 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok, I went back. I did not read the "whole story", Sorry. my mistake.

I still do not think it would work in the Philippines for reasons I gave. 

Edited by Gratefuled

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I still do not think it would work in the Philippines for reasons I gave. 

When I posted the story I was not thinking about the Philippines but I were thinking about western countries. Another reason I posted it in, World Events. I recall here in Aus there were debates about a national identity card some time back but I bet if it was to come up again DNS would be added to it.