Prescription Medicines by Mail

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

While I lived in the US, my insurance company required me to use "Express Scripts" for some of my medications.  They would send a 90-day supply by US mail to my home address.

I recently had them send my medications to my "Traveling Mailbox" service and forwarded them to here in Philippines. Unfortunately, it looks like the package with my medications got sent to customs for inspection and most likely seized.  The medicines (couldn't find anywhere locally) were lisinopril/hctz (high blood pressure) and gabapentin (neuropathy).

Not sure if anyone has run into this problem before and if I will be getting a visit from PNP :89:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Recommend you visit a philippines doctor. They can lookup the best replacement med if your US brand is not available.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Lisinopril is available, I was able to purchase at 360 Pharmacy.  It was expensive here, so I had a doctor switch me over to one of the generics that are available at a lower cost.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I found that my Rx was cheaper in the PI  than in the states. I buy only a months supply at a time because my Rx is subject to change and it does. I go for the generic when available. 

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I did some research and with my asawa's auntie (who is RN at local hospital) was able to find a replacement for my lisinopril/hctz.  Captopril is only 150p for box of 100 25mg tablets.  It doesn't have diuretic, but not too worried about it here in Philippines with the heat.

I started on 12.5mg dosage (broke tablet in half) for first week, since it is new medication and been a few weeks since I was on high blood pressure medicine.  Felt dizzy and had cough (not uncommon) for first few days but went away. Now taking 25mg, but need to buy blood pressure checker as I haven't tested it yet.

Still trying to find gabapentin locally.  However, I did get Stilnox (Zolpidem) and Diazepam a few weeks ago after seeing local neurologist at hospital.  Those medicines are tightly regulated here, comparable to how opiod pain meds (vicodin, percocet) are in the US.  Funny how my orthopedic surgeon in the US was always trying to prescribe them to me like candy, even though they made me sick to my stomach.  Ended up using lidocaine patches and even tried medical marijuana (obviously not option here) which worked better for treating pain.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/27/2016 at 11:16 AM, ITGeek said:

I did some research and with my asawa's auntie (who is RN at local hospital) was able to find a replacement for my lisinopril/hctz.  Captopril is only 150p for box of 100 25mg tablets.  It doesn't have diuretic, but not too worried about it here in Philippines with the heat.

I started on 12.5mg dosage (broke tablet in half) for first week, since it is new medication and been a few weeks since I was on high blood pressure medicine.  Felt dizzy and had cough (not uncommon) for first few days but went away. Now taking 25mg, but need to buy blood pressure checker as I haven't tested it yet.

Still trying to find gabapentin locally.  However, I did get Stilnox (Zolpidem) and Diazepam a few weeks ago after seeing local neurologist at hospital.  Those medicines are tightly regulated here, comparable to how opiod pain meds (vicodin, percocet) are in the US.  Funny how my orthopedic surgeon in the US was always trying to prescribe them to me like candy, even though they made me sick to my stomach.  Ended up using lidocaine patches and even tried medical marijuana (obviously not option here) which worked better for treating pain.

You might find it here, for example 

generics.jpg

http://tgp.com.ph/prod.php?page=0&pname=g

• Like 1