Do any of you feed the neighborhood cats back in the Philippines?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Under the topic " a funny thing happened".

I remember my wife used to dispose of our fish bones and other scraps of meat in the trash. Then, she decided to start feeding it to the local cats. They loved it and started waiting for the treat every evening and meowing for it. I didn't like the idea at first but felt sorry when one cat was pregnant and skinny. So, when I was at the mall, I bought a small bag of cat food for 225 Pesos ( I remember). I felt like a good samaritan. Well, turned out the cats refused it. They didn't even want to taste it. When one neighbor saw the bowl with the cat food, she laughed. She said that the cats are not fine breeds and do not eat fancy food. So, we (me) were stuck with a small bag of cat food. Good that I didn't buy the larger bag for over 1000 Pesos. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We are cat people, always have been. During my walks I continually find abandoned kittens all over town. Luckily we have some street people who live near us who also love cats. I collect up the kittens drop them off at these folks shack and supply them with cat food. They take care of the kittens until they either wander off or go to where ever cats go. Its not much, but makes me feel good.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Always considered myself a cat lover over a dog lover, but our two outside dogs give me a lot of company. The neighbors have a calico cat and sometimes that cat and a kitten might wander over the wall and get in our yard. Our dogs hate cats (and the monitor lizard), so they don't stick around, so I wouldn't encourage them with food.

They can be noisy and howling in heat too sometimes too.

We had tried early on feeding our dogs dry dog food and those jerky type treats. They didn't like them either, but now seem to gravitate towards home cooking but especially bones of any kind. They'll even snob a small can of sardines or cheap corned beef.

I thought before about getting a spayed indoor cat for a pet, but it didn't seem fair to try to keep it inside( or easy) when everyone else is free outside.

My sister-in-law feeds two or three calico money-cat breed cats that came around, scraps from her table. It's pleasant to see them lying around the yard when I go over there. You can't pat them though.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Having a cat or two hanging around would keep rats or mice away I guess. I like cats.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Under the topic " a funny thing happened".

I remember my wife used to dispose of our fish bones and other scraps of meat in the trash. Then, she decided to start feeding it to the local cats. They loved it and started waiting for the treat every evening and meowing for it. I didn't like the idea at first but felt sorry when one cat was pregnant and skinny. So, when I was at the mall, I bought a small bag of cat food for 225 Pesos ( I remember). I felt like a good samaritan. Well, turned out the cats refused it. They didn't even want to taste it. When one neighbor saw the bowl with the cat food, she laughed. She said that the cats are not fine breeds and do not eat fancy food. So, we (me) were stuck with a small bag of cat food. Good that I didn't buy the larger bag for over 1000 Pesos. 

Chickens will eat it if you wet it down.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Most cats in the Philippines look neglected but around our neighborhood most look good because my neighbor is a cat person and any cat that can sneak onto her porch can have commercial cat food twice a day.  Our cat often sneaks in for double dippin, so he is a fat cat now.  Sometimes a stray or neighbor cat will try to steal some food at our house but our cat puts on a good show to scare them away.

Our cat primarily eats dry cat food.  The cats that only eat leftovers are not going to look as nice, unless they get really nice leftovers with lots of protein.  The commercial cat foods will make their coats look nice.  

We got him when he looked like this, a street kitty:

tiny blackie.JPG

Now he spends most of the day doing this:

20160220_155841.jpg

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have seen very few cats over here... I figured the dogs must take care of them...  Stray dogs are everywhere - cats, not so much.  I don't feed stray anythings, though.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Most cats in the Philippines look neglected but around our neighborhood most look good because my neighbor is a cat person and any cat that can sneak onto her porch can have commercial cat food twice a day.  Our cat often sneaks in for double dippin, so he is a fat cat now.  Sometimes a stray or neighbor cat will try to steal some food at our house but our cat puts on a good show to scare them away.

Our cat primarily eats dry cat food.  The cats that only eat leftovers are not going to look as nice, unless they get really nice leftovers with lots of protein.  The commercial cat foods will make their coats look nice.  

We got him when he looked like this, a street kitty:

tiny blackie.JPG

Now he spends most of the day doing this:

20160220_155841.jpg

That is an amazing cat! How wide would that crack in the concrete get if he let go?

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, robert k said:

Chickens will eat it if you wet it down.

Ok, I'll have to get rid of it somehow. I tried leaving a little out in a bowl but the ants got to it before any dog did. There is a goat on the next street and a rooster. I'll tell my wife but I doubt that she will go out and feed them. It will have to wait til I get back.

Edited by Gratefuled
spelling

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 4/27/2016 at 6:53 AM, Gratefuled said:

Well, turned out the cats refused it.

We have fed all our Philippine cats with dry cat food we buy at the vet and they are always sleek and healthy, until the neighbors start to feed them table scraps.  Then they go downhill fast.  I have two outside the door now who have come home for healthy cat food.  They are scrawny and sickly looking from eating the neighbors scraps and refusing the cat food.  I know from frequent past experiences that they will stick around and eat the cat food until they are feeling and looking healthy again and then it will be off to the neighbors to look for more scraps.  Luckily I am not too affectionate with cats or I would get upset with the neighbors for feeding crap to my cats.

• Like 1