House Security

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I am having to make a decision on what sort of security to have in the dwelling I am building down near the river.

Background:-

The property is about 15 mins from the city and is next to a new subdivision, where I reckon there isn't a lot of money to go round, yes that could be anywhere in the Philippines.

Last week we had a small barracks built for the workers that were there with the machinery clearing the block.

The foreman was told not to leave anything valuable there when work was finished, but of course that didn't happen and during the night a lot of fabricated cement posts for the fencing was stolen.

So we informed the Barangay Captain of the theft, who suggested we employ some locals from the sub-division as night watchman, to which we agreed to. The next morning when we went out there there was plenty of empty bottles of whisky on the ground but at least the barracks hadn't been stolen! 

I reckon the score might be 1 all at the moment but time will tell.

Now back to the original question:-

When the dwelling gets started to I go with guard dogs, or video surveillance?

Arguments for against both so far are:-

1. The guard dogs will either be baited, or shot should they become a hindrance for the burglars. The shooting part I can't do anything about, the baiting part I can if I could find a reliable dog trainer, or dog for that matter.

2. I reckon they will just steal the video cameras..

I really don't want to go the extreme of building cement wall around the property, where I feel imprisoned, or that it reduces the air flow and cooling effect.

Thoughts please everyone.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If it were me...... “good fences make good neighbors.”  plus they can keep large scary dogs between you and those who would take advantage.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We now live in a cement house and have a bamboo fence around a majority of the property.  We even sometimes lock our house, but the key is hanging on the wall so it really makes little difference. 

In our bamboo house we did not even have windows... so no need to lock the door ha ha

But we do have rice fields on 3 sides of us and the only houses around are cousins/uncles etc... I guess having no strangers nearby is security?   :tiphat: 

(In the city we would go on vacation for a week or two and not shut our windows of the apartment)

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

But we do have rice fields on 3 sides of us and the only houses around are cousins/uncles etc... I guess having no strangers nearby is security?

It does help I think if you live in a "compound" type setting, that there is usually a relative or someone nearby that can keep an eye out. If you live in a more provincial neighborhood like ours. it's good to come in and out and make yourself more of a fixture, so people see you as part of the community, and not some faceless stranger hidden behind a wall. During the day here and there we open the gate door and let the dogs run in and out and exercise/socialize with neighborhood people and dogs too. We are friendly with local neighbors and children, so they are more willing to notice if someone was around if you weren't home. If we go out, we just hang a sturdy keyless padlock on the gate.

No one will ever be completely "safe" or "secure" no matter where you live here or anywhere for that matter, but maybe that's part of the gamble or challenge of living here that keeps life interesting.

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

get a goose...much meaner and more territorial then a dog.

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

There was a house, down the road from us, that had geese.  My wife was scared of them - well they took an instant dislike to her ha ha.  They are mean!

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

You know I had thought about that myself:) You see ducks around sometimes, but I've never seen any geese?!:)

robert k
Posted
Posted

Geese are mean. When I was younger a goose attacked my mother. It was tough and stringy and a little gamey tasting but it was older, free range and my first time cooking goose.:whistling:

• Like 2