Schengen visa for her.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi guys.

We are currently waiting for our sons birth certificate, so we can apply a Filipino passport for him. We plan to move to Estonia, hopefully july. Now comes the problem - visa.. Estonia doesn't have an Embassy in the Phillipines. Being a tiny country we have 3 embassies on this side of the world - Beijing, Tokyo and Canberra. All of them are far from Iloilo and she needs to go there in person to apply for a temp resident permit. We need to get married for her to get the resident permit... we are not. Long story short, we agreed to have the baby here so her mom could spend a few months with him and marry in Estonia as i am my mothers only child and she would love to see her only childs marriage (for personal reasons she can't travel here).

The Norwegian embassy in Manila will take applications for Estonian Schengen turists visas. My question is that has anyone applied for a turist visa for his so/wife and then applied for a residency permit when you get there? 

My plan is to apply a turist visa for her and our son. My son is a born Estonian EU citizen because of me, but its so hard to sort the paperwork here (get him a EU passport) and Schengen turist visa is free for infant. Once we get there we will get my son a EU passport, we will get married and apply a temporary resident permit for her (might have to go to Moscow or St Petersburg, if her Schengen turist visa has a no further stay condition - both are a train ride awey and have Estonian embassies)

Do you think my plan would work? Both of us are unemployed (she just gave birth and i was working in Australia for the past two years before coming here for my sons birth). I got plenty of savings+will have my mom write a letter of invite where she promisses to provide us a free place to stay at her house. My mom hasn't seen her grandson and future daughter in law, so that would be a really good reason to give us that turist visa, wouldn't it?

Aside of the fact that the process would be easier, is the chance of her to visit Estonia before we go thru all the paperwork. She might not like it there and would not want to live there. Would be pointless to go thru all the legal crap and come back to the Philippines..

Anyways id be really greatful or all information or ideas.

Incase someone is wondering what "schengen visa" is : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Schengen_Area

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Oops, i posted this in the wrong area of the forum. Admins, could you please move it. Thanks!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I might be wrong but I think member Brock might be able to help you out. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

While waiting for Brock, check out the official information here:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

They have an assistence service (link on that same page) that will help you straight out any questions.

In short, I think you will be fine, as long as you have the marriage cert and also travel together.

Say hi to the baltic waters from me :)

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, MikeSwede said:

While waiting for Brock, check out the official information here:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

They have an assistence service (link on that same page) that will help you straight out any questions.

In short, I think you will be fine, as long as you have the marriage cert and also travel together.

Say hi to the baltic waters from me :)

I have spent hours online and also asked the official "Estonian Facebook webconsule". They haven't been much help as they just post me links to temporary resident visa page and the page for long stay visa. Both require us to get married in the Philippines and both require her to travel to the embassy in Beijing (visiting Tokyo or Canberra would cost much more). I dont want to go thru all that paperwork and hassle, when she hasn't even been to Estonia and doesn't know what it's like.

Anyways we are going to try my original plan once we get our sons passport sorted (pain in the ass when Filipino goverment is still in stoneage - no computers in the civil register in Iloilo - only typewriters from the 50s). Ill write up a good letter of invitation and attach all the required proof. Ill go with her and our son to the Norwegian embassy in Manila once we are ready to apply. We have spent 8-9 months together out of the last 22months (out of that 3 in Australia) and we have a kid together.

Not sure if Brock has any info for me as hes from the UK (UK isn't part of schengen visa area), but I'll appreciate any info or ideas he or any other members might have for me.

Hopefully everything works out. Worse case scenario its marriege here (getting that cert from Estonia, that im not married will be a pain in the ass) and apply for a temporary Estonian resident permit for her in Beijing.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Hopefully everything works out. Worse case scenario its marriege here (getting that cert from Estonia, that im not married will be a pain in the ass) and apply for a temporary Estonian resident permit for her in Beijing.

I just had my "bachelor cert" sent to me from Sweden. The authorities issued it and sent it to my sis. She visited the notarius publicus for an apostille stamp. And then sent it to me.

That bit should not be a problem, as Estonia very much function like Sweden and Finland do.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

I am doing the ss route at this minute. As soon as I get on my laptop I will help in any way I can. Much easier if u r married. If not then u will need to prove u have been living together for 2. Years... Only 6. Months if you do the ss in the Netherlands... Will answer ur questions when I.m on the laptop.. At airport now waiting for my flight to Amsterdam from Ireland.  Will get back later when I can.

• Like 4

brock
Posted
Posted

If you want to ask me specific questions I will do my best to answer them for you.

Tourist Schengen visa is harder to get than a family member or partner schengen.

she will have to show money in the bank and bank statements and good reasons for returning to the Philippines, ie  work, owns property etc.

She will need to get CFO before she can leave, Be careful if getting a one way ticket as she can be offloaded if they think she wont return at the end of her visa.

You can get the schengen for any country in the schengen area, It is supposed to be issued by the country you first enter or the place that you will be spending the most part of your trip....( My Wife Nesa got a visa for Denmark because it was the most convenient for her to get without having to travel to Manila to apply for it, But she will arrive in Amsterdam tomorrow and then onto Ireland, We are not even going to Denmark at all ) You can just say you have changed your travel plans,

If you intend to do the Surinder Singh Route, You cannot do it in your own Country, You must live and work in another EU Country for a minimum of 3 months and 1 day,

As I say, Just ask me anything you need to know, Will help if I can. 

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Thanks Brock. We have to travel to Manila anyways, so we might aswell apply for the visa in the Norwegian embassy (they process visas for most Scandinavia and Estonia.

Whats the Surinder Singah route?

How did you prove that you had been together x ammount of time? Surely having a kid together is big proof? Other than that its my entry/exit stamps to Phillipines and hers to Australia + pictures of us together while staying there?

Getting her a temp resident visa for Estonia will be easy once we are married. There is an Estonian Supreme Court decision that states that if a couple (one a citizen and other a non citizen) and their citizen child decided to move to the Estonian Citizens home country, then the immigration cant say no. My best friend has a Russian wife. They were living in Estonia for 3 years while the wife was on temp resident visas (one year at a time) and after the 3rd year immigratsion started telling them that they cant get another temp visa. One of the ladies working in the immigratsion gave him the case nr of that supreme court order and told him to write a good long protest and qoute the court order. Their temp visa was granted a week later and they haven't had any more problems. been 8 years now, extending the visa every year. The wife is to lazy and dumb to get a long term resident visa.

brock
Posted
Posted

This is for Ireland but its nearly the same for any European Country in the Schengen area

https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/77893/surinder-singh-for-newbies-pdf

• Like 1