New President

markpa
Posted
Posted

With Duarte now the new President, and he vowing to be a Dictator, how does that do with safety for expat's? Is all of that just saber rattling. But with his Death Squads in Daveo  or at least the hint that.s true. Do you see a coup coming? Or more such truth of Death Squads the bigger cities too. Just wondering. Thanks.Mark

• Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, markpa said:

Just wondering. Thanks.Mark

First of all, what media write in west is not often the full picture, not even half of it and often not even completely true.

They sell better with scary stories than with average, dull, business as usual kind of stories.

Next, we basically need to wait and see. It would not be the first time I have had to decide that inspite of methods, I had to support the spirit, as situation demanded it.

Or the first time I decided "enough of it, I'm out".

My knowledge is so thin about Phils that I just keep my face shut, watch and learn.

• Like 4

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

As Mike pointed out, markpa, we need to wait and see. IMO, I think expats should key in on areas for positive changes to crime and immigration and watch for continued good relations with US, GB, and OZ.

I, personally will wait for the media to play out all the drama that's fit to print and from there will. again, wait and see as well.:popcorn:

• Like 4

markpa
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeSwede said:

First of all, what media write in west is not often the full picture, not even half of it and often not even completely true.

They sell better with scary stories than with average, dull, business as usual kind of stories.

Next, we basically need to wait and see. It would not be the first time I have had to decide that inspite of methods, I had to support the spirit, as situation demanded it.

My knowledge is so thin about Phils that I just keep my face shut, watch and learn.

2 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

your wait and see policy is a smart idea. As whole the West is sooo full of it.  And really g up is a goold policy too,never can tell who might hear you.Thanks.Mark

markpa
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Hey Steve said:

As Mike pointed out, markpa, we need to wait and see. IMO, I think expats should key in on areas for positive changes to crime and immigration and watch for continued good relations with US, GB, and OZ.

I, personally will wait for the media to play out all the drama that's fit to print and from there will. again, wait and see as well.:popcorn:

The crime issue would be good g, a law and order guy may help. On immigration. well more towards on migration, a no on allowing taking in those the Middle East should be a firm NO. Theres a lot to see and wit, hopefully for the best for the people,and all you there. Thanks.Mark

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Good question.

I guess it all remains to be seen. Just like any other newly elected president. I would venture to say that any expats in the PI better be on their best behavior. We know how corrupt the cops are in extorting money.

President Aquino seems to have had the military in his pocket. So, a coup is always possible. He, (Aquino) might see Duterte as a threat to him and his family of wealthy aristocrats. The NPA and MNLF would take Duterte's side in any conflict. ( my opinion) 

Another reason not to make the PI my home away from home.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I read an ugly rumor that the bars will close at one...Say it ain't so, Joe.   :crashh:

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I read an ugly rumor that the bars will close at one...Say it ain't so, Joe.   :crashh:

Alot of the bars close between midnight and 2am in Australia and New Zealand. People have adopted - the bars are full at 6-7pm on friday. Will be same here if there is a early closing time.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I do know some expats that are looking for other countries already, just in case.  Also, I have had a few locals ask me if I am leaving because of him. 

I am on a 'wait and see' mode also.  For the most part I don't think it will matter who's backside warms the throne. At our level what really changes?  As long we keep a good exchange rate for the money, and they don't go all anti-foreigner, I don't foresee any real issues.

I don't care for his curfew idea for kids - I see curfews as a lazy way to be authoritarian.  I do like the noise pollution ban idea, and the no alcohol after 1 AM is not bad either.  A lot of countries have alcohol hours.   :tiphat:

• Like 5