Back Online With PLDT Fibr

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We moved on Tuesday and I have been offline since then.  Back online with PLDT Fibr 50 mbps service including Cignal digital TV and landline.   So far, so good, measuring at 45-50 mbps.  It is nice to watch online videos without hanging!

The install was fine and the guys took down all the old cable and phone lines, at my request.  The inside wire is tiny.  I had them run through the attic and down a corner in the walls.  The tiny white cable is barely visible.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

How much does that cost per month? Any download gap limit after what the internet lowers to stone age speeds?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

How much does that cost per month? Any download gap limit after what the internet lowers to stone age speeds?

I don't quite understand what you mean by "download gap" but maybe I will answer your question in here somewhere.

After the install, I did not have my desktop PC set up yet so I was attempting to use my old laptop.  That damn thing is so slow that is also slows down my browser response and makes the internet seem slower than it may be.  There is a good chance that the laptop will become a frisbee next time I use it!  However, speedtests still gave the good results, always around 50 mbps down and 30-50 up.  Except, when I did a speedtest with my VPN (USA) on, wow, only 1 mbps!  That scared me a bit!

I got the desktop set up and everything is great now.  I am using wireless from my desktop to TV area where the modem / wireless router and Cignal set top box are, about 20 feet.  I have had VPN on all day and this morning I think it was measuring around 30 mbps up/down.  Just now it is 18.  I disconnected VPN and it is 49 both ways.  Last night I uploaded 3 videos that would have take hours before, and now it was 1-2 minutes.

The cost is p3500 per month + p230 for each Cignal set top box you want.  30 month contract.  Includes landline and the installer said we can call locally for free, but I have not tried yet.  Cignal TV is nice and includes about 15 HD channels in our plan.  We get a lot more U.S. TV shows on Cignal too.

Our plan is close to what you see here for p3500

http://pldthome.com/fibr

but in Subic it is run by Subictel so it is not an exact match.  We don't have the promo shown there for doubling the speed for 6 months.

Another thing missing here in Subictel is SIM cards for your mobile.  I have heard from other PLDT customers that you can ask for a SIM card that will allow you to call from your landline to your mobile for free.  I think it is about p500 per SIM but no good for me here in Subic. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Any download gap limit after what the internet lowers to stone age speeds?

I just read your the other thread (3 mbps) and now I understand what you are talking about.

Although I have not read the details of the terms and conditions, I don't think there are any limits.  I will let you know if I find out otherwise.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 5/12/2016 at 4:17 PM, OnMyWay said:

We moved on Tuesday and I have been offline since then.  Back online with PLDT Fibr 50 mbps service including Cignal digital TV and landline.   So far, so good, measuring at 45-50 mbps.  It is nice to watch online videos without hanging!

The install was fine and the guys took down all the old cable and phone lines, at my request.  The inside wire is tiny.  I had them run through the attic and down a corner in the walls.  The tiny white cable is barely visible.

What is the cost of this service per month and is it widely available or only around Manila?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

What is the cost of this service per month and is it widely available or only around Manila?

You probably wrote this while I was writing the post above.  Look at the PLDT website for the areas.  Most of it is by sub-division and building.

http://pldthome.com/fibr/areas

Subic Bay Freeport is not even listed there because as mentioned above we have Subictel here, a subsidiary of PLDT.  They have Fibr in all the former Navy base residential areas and in the CBD.

However, don't move to Subic just for the internet.  Weather is horrible, traffic is horrible, prices are too high, crime is rampant, the expats are smelly, and the women are ugly.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

You probably wrote this while I was writing the post above.  Look at the PLDT website for the areas.  Most of it is by sub-division and building.

Subic Bay Freeport is not even listed there because as mentioned above we have Subictel here, a subsidiary of PLDT.  They have Fibr in all the former Navy base residential areas and in the CBD.

However, don't move to Subic just for the internet.  Weather is horrible, traffic is horrible, prices are too high, crime is rampant, the expats are smelly, and the women are ugly.

I would certainly move back to my old stompin' grounds, where the expats smell like me and the women are fugly. My kind of town!  

Not bad for a fiber package deal for about 80 bucks.  Just make sure Don, that the main feed can branch off to my dog house you're gonna build for me, OK?

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jake said:

Not bad for a fiber package deal for about 80 bucks.

Yes, I think a similar package in the U.S. would be ~$100 or so.  I had looked into U.S. prices a while back because the homeowner's association for my house in Florida made a deal with Comcast.

Most expats understandably don't want to pay so much for such a service, but I had it with the terrible Globe DSL here.  I was paying p1299 for that plus p675 for cable, total about p2000, so now for an extra p1700 I have a vastly superior service.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

If I did not know better, I would swear you were trying to put us all off coming there?  But I know better because we are all brothers and sisters and we would never do that right???

On 5/13/2016 at 4:02 AM, markpa said:

3 mps, oh my god how to you even get on the net?? Ok, sorry,still in the states I get 60 mps day in day out. Can you buy more speed from a provider. Is that wireless service? Ok ive me hell  but love to hear whats really out there ok. Thanks.Mark

jon1
Posted
Posted

Congrats OMW! That is a fair price for FIBER. Last year the packages started at 5000p. The internet plan prices keep going down here. When I first moved here I was paying 3000p for 3MB DSL + 602p for the "required" Landline (local calls only). Last year the same plan went down to 1000p + 602p (L/L) for the same 3MB. So maybe by the time that I am officially not working I may be at FIBER with the same price. 

16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I completely agree with OMW on this! Traffic sucks here, it's horribly hot, fugly women and rude expats... It's not cheap either as house prices continue to rise on average between $110-150k for 40+ year leases.. Oh and there are RULES that are ENFORCED within the Freeport. One of the reasons that we moved to the PI. 

• Like 1