3 MPS internet speed

Larry45
Posted
Posted
On 5/14/2016 at 4:19 AM, markpa said:

its not that the price is so high its what you get .  I going to use the net there for Skype and surfing the net, and to buy things on the net. I know i'll need things I might not be able to get there.

If that's the totality of you internet needs, you'll likely be content with the local service here.  Just do some research on your exact location...for example, in our place, we get almost zero off the towers for wireless connectivity, but wired DSL from Globe gets us 4mbps.  Other locales experience the exact opposite.  And I have a feeling you probably won't be surfing the web here as much as you do there in the US.  Chances are, the dreaming and planning stages will fall to the wayside as your life becomes something much more participatory.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Even the speeds reported for the fiber optic are well within the technological limits for ordinary cable. A limit is being set somewhere, just a higher limit if you are willing to shell out for fiber but still not the 150-1k or more MBP/s that fiber is capable of. It is what it is.

markpa
Posted
Posted

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): I think its a wait and see, I figured maybe DSL might be a little better. even 4 would be a great speed if you get it. You are right I  will be cutting down on my internet use. Maybe devote an hour to shopping on the net, might save anything else to Skype. But I will survive thats for sure gotta change with the flow. Thanks Mark

20 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Whos the provider? We have Globe DSL and they have that crap 50gb data allowance...

Man guys are so far ahead of me on this stuff. I guess I am really the Ugly American, the new kid with no dam idea, oh I can cope, even learn well maybe. I don't use Hula or Nexflix for anything, have no idea about it, so can I ask you a few questions. Can you watch them without downloading. Aren't these really tv subscriptions I can get and watch a lot of movies on??? I used to watch a lot of CD Movies. y I have a place where I could get whole season on 1 or 2 CD. I have loads of hose old programs from the 60's and 70's ever hear of Rat Patrol?  There isn't a seasonal tv program I can't get, so if I was desperate, I could always order them again.

• Like 1

markpa
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

Even the speeds reported for the fiber optic are well within the technological limits for ordinary cable. A limit is being set somewhere, just a higher limit if you are willing to shell out for fiber but still not the 150-1k or more MBP/s that fiber is capable of. It is what it is.

:SugarwareZ-005:Even with fiber optics here, if its low grade, sending internet service over phone lines is going to be slow as heck. in 20 years maybe we may have real speeds, i'll never see it that's for sure. 

markpa
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

According to Globe (http://www.globe.com.ph/broadband) all their packages have a fixed data allowance (the internet still works once you use your allowance, but the speed drops to around 5-10% of original).

Couldnt find anything about Wimax (might be a old product).

50gb is quite hard to hit if your wife only Skypes and you do what you said. Torrenting is the root of all evil :D.

:shades:  I see a lot of users talking about Globe. I don't thank god have a wife. So maybe use Skype 2 times a week. Sinbce I figure I can't change gs, I will live with what get. Whats a guy gonna do.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, markpa said:

:shades:  I see a lot of users talking about Globe. I don't thank god have a wife. So maybe use Skype 2 times a week. Sinbce I figure I can't change gs, I will live with what get. Whats a guy gonna do.

I think the 1299 peso 3mbs Globe DSL would be enough for you. Judging on what you said you would use the internet for, then i think you would struggle to even come close to the 50gb data allowance gap.

Thats more than enough for emails, surfing and skype calls.

You could add another 300pesos and get a 5mbs internet, but i would only do it if you intend to stream HD videos off youtube/netflix etc (the 3mbs might be just abit slow).

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

For those of you that are on a limited or capped line, make sure you know how to set streaming quality down to a lower setting when watching videos online. And deactivate that awful hog autoplay video feature in facebook for everone in the house.

Plus... dropbox users - go to settings and set bandwidth limitation.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

I think the 1299 peso 3mbs Globe DSL would be enough for you. Judging on what you said you would use the internet for, then i think you would struggle to even come close to the 50gb data allowance gap.

Thats more than enough for emails, surfing and skype calls.

You could add another 300pesos and get a 5mbs internet, but i would only do it if you intend to stream HD videos off youtube/netflix etc (the 3mbs might be just abit slow).

Make sure that Globe is capable in your area by talking to some real users.  I just dumped the Globe 3 MBPS because I rarely got over 1 mbps.  The field guys were here 3 times in the last 2 months and kept telling a story that they could not access the box in the area and only people from Manila could.  Someone else in the neighborhood was told the same story.

markpa
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Make sure that Globe is capable in your area by talking to some real users.  I just dumped the Globe 3 MBPS because I rarely got over 1 mbps.  The field guys were here 3 times in the last 2 months and kept telling a story that they could not access the box in the area and only people from Manila could.  Someone else in the neighborhood was told the same story.

:Policeman: I might be able to live with that in Cebu. Once I get there i'll check things out. Thanks.Mark

markpa
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, MikeSwede said:

For those of you that are on a limited or capped line, make sure you know how to set streaming quality down to a lower setting when watching videos online. And deactivate that awful hog autoplay video feature in facebook for everone in the house.

Plus... dropbox users - go to settings and set bandwidth limitation.

:shades: I'll be watching NetFlex on my tv only. I should be ok that way. Thanks Mark