3 MPS internet speed

markpa
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, intrepid said:

FWIW  In the US I was paying $148 usd for cable (no premium) channels and 5Mbps speed internet.  Testing it was usually just under 5.
Here in Sta Rosa Laguna we are paying P1599 monthly (about $33.) for 5Mbps internet and landline from Globe.  Data allowance is 60GB. Speed tests usually run 2.7 and once I got 4.8.  Still waiting for the Skycable hook up but the papers stated something like P550 ($11 usd) monthly.  
Now if speed is your thing, Globe is running fiber in some areas with plans starting at 50Mbps for P2499 and up to 1Gbps for only P9499. :omg:
Overall I’m satisfied with the internet we have, but like others, wish I could get the 5 I’m paying paid for but, as the contract says,..UP TO 5Mbps.

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:God you sure had crap in the Us. I pay 135.00 a month no premium channels, but I have 1000,s of channels to watch and I get 60 megs for internet every day. Well those days will soon be gone, god up to 5, I'd take that any day there. price is ok with me. Like everyone else, I'm going to get what I get, and be happy with it, Its not going to change, so I'll just be happy on what I get. I like using wireless so I hope that's not a problem. Thanks for the info. Mark

intrepid
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, markpa said:

od you sure had crap in the Us. I pay 135.00 a month no premium channels, but I have 1000,s of channels to watch

It was just about like here.  No choice,...it was the only game in town.  Take it or have none!

56 minutes ago, markpa said:

I like using wireless so I hope that's not a problem.

My Globe is P1599 with land line and up to 5Mbps.  The phone and modem/wireless router(all in one) included!

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I got the PLDTFIBR P3600 here in Cabanatuan, includes 50Mbps, unlimited data and most of Cigna channels as well.  My family watches local stations/Youtube/Netflix apps on Samsung 55" UA55J6300, but HDTV has some wifi connectivity issues at times and end up resetting it.  It has latest firmware, so I contacted Samsung tech support and let them know about issues (includes bluetooth connectivity as well).

Sometimes, they just end up connecting their laptop using Wifi and HDMI cable to the HDTV instead and seems to work better. 

Personally, I use a US VPN so I stream XFinity live channels and stored shows on my PC.  My twin sis lets me use her XFinity online account so I can keep up with all the US shows.  Haven't had any complaints yet, with bandwidth limiting.  There have been times with horrible latency (not too unexpected) with US or EU connections.  Facebook also experiences some poor performance at times, but that's when you have at least 5 family member constantly updating FB.  Poor peformance is only on wifi side, not my LAN :thumbsup:

Compared to my AT&T Uverse was twice the price and only 10-15 Mbps, I'll take the PLDTFIBR P3600 deal anytime.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

I got the PLDTFIBR P3600 here in Cabanatuan, includes 50Mbps, unlimited data and most of Cigna channels as well.  My family watches local stations/Youtube/Netflix apps on Samsung 55" UA55J6300, but HDTV has some wifi connectivity issues at times and end up resetting it.  It has latest firmware, so I contacted Samsung tech support and let them know about issues (includes bluetooth connectivity as well).

Sometimes, they just end up connecting their laptop using Wifi and HDMI cable to the HDTV instead and seems to work better. 

Personally, I use a US VPN so I stream XFinity live channels and stored shows on my PC.  My twin sis lets me use her XFinity online account so I can keep up with all the US shows.  Haven't had any complaints yet, with bandwidth limiting.  There have been times with horrible latency (not too unexpected) with US or EU connections.  Facebook also experiences some poor performance at times, but that's when you have at least 5 family member constantly updating FB.  Poor peformance is only on wifi side, not my LAN :thumbsup:

Compared to my AT&T Uverse was twice the price and only 10-15 Mbps, I'll take the PLDTFIBR P3600 deal anytime.

You might want to see if you can get an upgrade on the service, or a lower price.  Can't hurt to ask.  Prices are always coming down and they have the double your speed promo right now, so you might be able to get 100 mbps for 6 months for free.

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

You might want to see if you can get an upgrade on the service, or a lower price.  Can't hurt to ask.  Prices are always coming down and they have the double your speed promo right now, so you might be able to get 100 mbps for 6 months for free.

:thumbsup:  I did get the 6 mo's 100Mbps upgrade for free.  Speed tests show 60-80Mbps from Cabanatuan to Angeles/Makati PLDT sites with only 7-10ms latency. Overseas, well only about 10-25 Mbps with over 150ms latency at best.  Once the 6 mo's is up, I'll renegotiate like I always used to to with my carriers in US.  Nice thing about fiber, is that signal is usually reliable even during storms since.  I had DishTV when I lived back in North Carolina and during summer months, you'd lose satellite signal during storms.  Ended up with Time-Warner.  Although like here, I have everything on UPS/Surge Protection.  Only danger is CAT5 wiring since it's not shielded.  Close lighting strikes generate EMP's and voltage surges.  Usually the damage doesn't show up right away, but weeks or months later.  I had to replace at least 2 or 3 routers at my home in NC.

The weather here reminds me very much of my summers in the Southeast US, hot and humid with frequent afternoon storms and occasional tropical storms.  Although the lighting is more frequent here, it's not anywhere as strong as in the Southeast US.  Cloudtops here are usually 40-50k, versus 60-70k in midwest/southeast US.  The thunder back home would literally shake the house.

• Like 1