Medical Insurance in the Philippines

• 2 weeks later...
MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
On 05/20/2016 at 2:01 AM, mogo51 said:

I am not here to score a 100 or anything near it, just want to have a few more years before my number comes out of the barrel and that will include having a drink when I want one! If I die at 75 instead of 77 who gives a rats!

No worries there, looking at my family, they smoke and drink and god forbid what else. But keep on living until the near 100, just going to sleep one night and that's it.

We should be worried about hurting ourselves, but death, that's not something to worry about, it's part of that mysterious cycle.

The alternative is checking out bored to death...

• Like 3

Benington
Posted
Posted
On 5/19/2016 at 6:07 AM, robert k said:

I have been looking at Pacific Cross insurance, formerly Blue Cross Philippines. Being I'm 50 the quotes from 2013 look like it would be about $900 USD per year for a private room with a peso plan. Even allowing for inflation, I think it will still be reasonable, for me. The latest age group they have on the website is 61-65, after that I guess you are on your own. Of course I would be tickled if someone guaranteed that I would live to be 65 so I'm not going to complain too much.

Robert k, I've turned 65 and I was automatically re-insured by Blue Cross on the same plan. Although I have been with them for 10 years and at the time of re-insurance I had not made a claim - "clean" as they call it.

robert k
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Benington said:

Robert k, I've turned 65 and I was automatically re-insured by Blue Cross on the same plan. Although I have been with them for 10 years and at the time of re-insurance I had not made a claim - "clean" as they call it.

I'm very pleased to know that they don't simply drop you at 65. It was as far as the schedule online went. One never knows when dealing with insurance companies as they are for profit and bottom line motivated. I think the prices looked reasonable. Thanks!:smile:

Benington
Posted
Posted

Just to add I did make my first claim a few months into my post 65 year - just for P20,000 for two nights in hospital. They paid back P15,000 in good time. My wife was also insured with them a few years ago and during her time she had a major operation, for which they paid back about 80% The downside was that they massively bumped up her next premium. After our objection they settled for a doubling - but in the following year they again increased the premium significantly, so we stopped insuring with them. In any case her list of pre-existing conditions was mounting up. She's now only insured with Philhealth, where pre-existing conditions are not taken into account. I can also avail of the Philhealth cover, modest as it is, as her dependent, if the Blue Cross ever list pre-existing conditions for me or they drop me completely.

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

I'm very pleased to know that they don't simply drop you at 65. It was as far as the schedule online went. One never knows when dealing with insurance companies as they are for profit and bottom line motivated. I think the prices looked reasonable. Thanks!:smile:

Commonly an insurance you held for some time will keep on running, while they refuse new clients or do not advertise generalised prices above a certain age.

Which makes it important to sign up for a proper insurance well ahead of pension age, or they will charge you an arm and a leg to enter.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Wait till you have a claim Benington!

Benington
Posted
Posted

You mean a big claim, Mogo? I've already made a small one. I think it depends on whether it relates to a condition which the insurer thinks will lead to further large claims. If that is the case there's not much one can do other than prepare one's savings in advance and try to get something back from Philhealth.

• 5 months later...
gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2016 at 4:49 PM, markpa said:

Ok guys I thought before I came there I had to have some kind of health ins. Like a Expat Ins. You know Emergency Evacuation, and all that stuff, like Cigma  and other expat ins companies. Its like $3,000 a month!! Now on my 2nd extension  I can get Phil Health. that's good.:SugarwareZ-005: Ok maybe it won't cover scripts, but I can handle that ok. can I go to any clinic or hospital on it? :shades: 

Mark, I'm just joining in but I recently looked in to Cigna Global and I believe their rates are much less than that. Hope you found something reasonable.

Edited by gaga4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/1/2016 at 5:24 PM, Benington said:

Just to add I did make my first claim a few months into my post 65 year - just for P20,000 for two nights in hospital. They paid back P15,000 in good time. My wife was also insured with them a few years ago and during her time she had a major operation, for which they paid back about 80% The downside was that they massively bumped up her next premium. After our objection they settled for a doubling - but in the following year they again increased the premium significantly, so we stopped insuring with them. In any case her list of pre-existing conditions was mounting up. She's now only insured with Philhealth, where pre-existing conditions are not taken into account. I can also avail of the Philhealth cover, modest as it is, as her dependent, if the Blue Cross ever list pre-existing conditions for me or they drop me completely.

This is what I meant Benington.  All good whilst they are collecting, not good when they are paying or have paid - premiums soar as you have experienced.

As a former Insurance investigator of many years (which was rather lopsided as I don't like Insurance Companies), this was my and many others experience.  I will join PhilHealth as soon as I can when I get there and keep a 'bank' separate for medical expenses.