New Steak House in Town

jon1
Posted
Posted

For anyone hankering for a "Real" top notch steak, I highly recommend RBI Steakhouse ,https://www.facebook.com/rbi.steakhouse?fref=nf Angeles City. It is in the Queens Hotel a block off the main drag near the entrance to walking street. 

The prices are not cheap as they are importing USDA grade beef and aging it. Along with being located within the Tourist zone of Angeles. They are also cold smoking turkey, hams and chicken. This has lead to a branching out of their business doing retail and bulk sales on smoked items. Next month they will have been in business for 1 year and they are ahead of schedule in their business plan. It is a great thing to see someone who loves what they are doing and being successful at the same time. 

I usually go there at least once a month when I am in country as a treat to my wife and I. It sure beats going to Manila for a quality steak. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Restaurant_Review-g469410-d8280033-Reviews-RBI_Steak_House-Angeles_City_Pampanga_Province_Central_Luzon_Region_Luzon.html As you can see by their reviews, they are at a 4+ stars. You can not please everyone all of the time, but they do try their best. For anyone that does not know or never tried, the restaurant business is very demanding and really one of the hardest ways to be a business person (one bad meal getting people sick will put you out of business). I know that the Chef has put a tremendous amount of effort into training his personnel into everything from service, food handling, proper hygiene, etc. and has culled his crew to retain the best that the local labor pool has to offer. His Sous Chef (a local) was working for one of the Leading Chefs in Manila and makes awesome breads and desserts.

I have zero interest in this business other than as a patron for some quality US Food to scratch that itch every now and then. We can only hope that Chef Geoff and his crew have the staying power to keep their standards up (service and quality food) and continue to be in business for a long time. Maybe even become a local institution?

Breakfast.jpgDinner Menu.jpglunch menu.jpg

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

TBone 1350p, 1000bht or $40Au,  do you get the whole cow for that?  I walked past the hotel when I was there a few weeks ago, looks good.

But out of my price range I am afraid, I don't like beef enough to pay that price. But by all means enjoy.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jon1 said:

I have zero interest in this business other than as a patron for some quality US Food to scratch that itch every now and then.

Are you sure as on your website you say,

A couple of my friends have just opened up a new Steakhouse in Angeles City. It is the RBI Steakhouse located in the Queens Hotel. Located at the corner of Tinio St/Constantine St, one block from Fields 

I hate being taken for a ride.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Plus 10% service charge. I would hope the service was excellent by western standards. I generally tip much more than that for good service but I never like someone taking the decision out of my hands.

• Like 5

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow that's expensive for Philippines.

I dont like the tipping culture and i hate mandatory added fixed tip. Tips should be rare and earned for an awesome service experience, not a way for the employer to pay the employees pennies and demand the customer to pay the rest.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

I never like someone taking the decision out of my hands.

2 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

i hate mandatory added fixed tip

I hate that too, and it would only change if people stopped going to places that add a mandatory service charge.  I can tell you that I cut my visits to such places by about half what I would if there were no such policy but I still go to them if I like the food, ambiance and service.  I also notice that places which add a mandatory service charge are often quite busy which leads me to believe they do it simply because they can get away with it.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

Plus 10% service charge. I would hope the service was excellent by western standards. I generally tip much more than that for good service but I never like someone taking the decision out of my hands.

Missed that bit, like you I hate them taking it without permission.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Boss, he can try all he likes for free advertising here, but there won't be many lining up at the front door with the prices they are charging and then scamming another 10%. 

My prediction, it won't be open very long, when I was there a few weeks ago, the streets were not jammed packed with punters.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you sure as on your website you say,

I hate being taken for a ride.

No I have zero financial interest. When they were setting this up they asked me if I wanted to be a partner but didn't have the funds to be involved. I am happy to see that they are more than surviving in these financially fickle times.

In regards to the 10% service fee, I was told by the partners that they will be splitting that with the whole staff (kitchen and wait staff). This is to give all of the personnel incentive to perform at their best. I usually add an additional 5% (as long as the service and food were good) if it warrants it.

jon1
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Boss, he can try all he likes for free advertising here, but there won't be many lining up at the front door with the prices they are charging and then scamming another 10%. 

My prediction, it won't be open very long, when I was there a few weeks ago, the streets were not jammed packed with punters.

I was only putting this out there as you often here about expats wishing that they could find a very good steak for occasions. These prices are not for the average person on a retirement budget. They are located in a hotel which means "tourist" prices. Probably 70% of their customers are tourists/guests of the hotel so you won't see a lot of people parking outside to get in. 

I understand the skepticism on my being a part of that endeavor, but I get zero out of it.

By all means, if the forum regards this thread as a bid for free advertising, or violates some rule of conduct, remove it. It has no impact on me. No skin off of my nose.

• Like 3