New Steak House in Town

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, jon1 said:

In regards to the 10% service fee, I was told by the partners that they will be splitting that with the whole staff (kitchen and wait staff). This is to give all of the personnel incentive to perform at their best. I usually add an additional 5% (as long as the service and food were good) if it warrants it.

Im guessing that the owners are American. Why not just pay the employees that get good feedback a bonus? Almost no one in Australia tips and its not expected (they will be grateful if they get some tho). Theres a good reason for that - employees get a proper wage. The system works good.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

Plus 10% service charge. I would hope the service was excellent by western standards. I generally tip much more than that for good service but I never like someone taking the decision out of my hands.

The 10% service charge seems common here in Subic, at nicer places.  I don't like it and always wonder if the employees actually get any of it.  I have seen the same in some other countries.  We always double check the bill for a service charge before leaving any extra tip.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Im guessing that the owners are American. Why not just pay the employees that get good feedback a bonus? Almost no one in Australia tips and its not expected (they will be grateful if they get some tho). Theres a good reason for that - employees get a proper wage. The system works good.

The ownership is American and Filipino... They are practicing by the book to avoid as many possible liabilities and/or payoffs as possible. Here is some more background on the "Service Charge" in the Philippines http://www.manilatimes.net/management-share-service-charges/116086/

I have found many places adding the Service Charge on in the Philippines. As OMW said, usually they are the nicer, pricier places. Unlike Australlia, in the US and Philippines, most restaurant employees do not get a proper wage (not even minimum wage in some cases) and are heavily dependent upon tips to make ends meet.

Edited by jon1
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We have a steak place here in Iloilo with similar prices (a little lower - but we are not a toursity spot).  The joint here gets more business than i expected it to.  Amazing food, but I have a hard time justifying the price :tiphat: 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jon1 said:

Unlike Australlia, in the US and Philippines, most restaurant employees do not get a proper wage (not even minimum wage in some cases) and are heavily dependent upon tips to make ends meet.

Filipinos get what is the going rate. Americans get a less a wage and make up the shortfall with tips as that is the culture and the wage structure in the food industry. To my knowledge it's not Filipino culture or wage structure to rely on tips. I think the American influence brought it in and today it gets carried on because the Americans and other countries that customarily tip continue to do so in a foreign land.

I know this has been hashed out before but how many Filipinos tip and if they do how much do they give? Some foreigners whether expats or tourist basicly give a week's or a few days wage because they think that because they give 10 or 20 % in their own county then they do the same in the philippines which equates to a high amount in comparison to the daily wage. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

it gets carried on because the Americans and other countries that customarily tip continue to do so in a foreign land

Seems to me that it is an "American" restaurant aimed at the American expat market so Filipinos and expats from other countries can just stay away and there will be more seats for the rich Americans to dine. :Caught:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Seems to me that it is an "American" restaurant aimed at the American expat market so Filipinos and expats from other countries can just stay away and there will be more seats for the rich Americans to dine. :Caught:

I was not speaking of just one place, I was speaking in general. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jon1 said:

The ownership is American and Filipino... They are practicing by the book to avoid as many possible liabilities and/or payoffs as possible. Here is some more background on the "Service Charge" in the Philippines http://www.manilatimes.net/management-share-service-charges/116086/

I have found many places adding the Service Charge on in the Philippines. As OMW said, usually they are the nicer, pricier places. Unlike Australlia, in the US and Philippines, most restaurant employees do not get a proper wage (not even minimum wage in some cases) and are heavily dependent upon tips to make ends meet.

But that is the very point Sander was trying to make Jon1.  He rightfully IMO suggests he should not prop up the wages of staff whilst the owners/managers make greater profits.  If you own a prosperous restaurant or are a manager on a good wage, why should I subsidise their life style?

In this instance, it is not like they are charging 'cheap' prices for their meals in the first place.  A tip should be a voluntary thing and not an restaurant imposed levy.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

A tip should be a voluntary thing

Well said Mogo, well said!

I am an American, and we tip as a GENERAL rule. I tip here in the Philippines the same I did in the states approximately 15%. If there is a 10% service charge my tip usually brings it up to that 15% (sometime I just match the 10%.)

Do I tip to much? Most likely. Why? Because it makes ME feel good to show my appreciation to those who please me. That and it pays off when we return to an establishment that we like. We are always warmly greeted.

Does it set a bad example? Are other Expats expected to mirror my behavior? I don't think so, the chances that a member of this board eating at Mama Lou's in BF Homes in Paranaque are slim to none.

But if the service charge really bugs a person, every place I have gone to that I can recall and it charges a service charge it is listed on the menu. Look at the menu (or ask) if they do, don't patronize that establishment.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Even tho i come from a mostly non tip culture, i usually leave the coins and maybe a 20peso note as a tip in a restaurant and coins in a taxi. I tip the massage ladies 20-50 pesos depending on the quality and length of massage (i dont tip them if the massage was totally crap, but that has only happened a handful of times). If im paying and i leave a tip on the table, then Anne usually tells me to give less. Tipping large sums of money isn't the custom here - mostly a few coins. One thing with the mandatory service charge is taking the choice awey and the other big thing for me is the fact on how do i know that the money actually reaches the person serving me and isn't collected into the pockets of the owner.

Iv eaten in mandatory tip places alot (popular in Southern Europe)and atleast five times i have refused to pay the service charge as the service was just plain sh&t and slow. Tips should be earned and not expected. Im not going to leave a tip or pay the service charge if it took them ages to serve me. I never use the tip boxes etc either - if i want to tip, ill leave the tip in cash on the table (or with massage ladies, i give them the money in person). Only then can i be 99% sure that it will end up in the pockets of people it was intended for.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 3