Time To Leave Or Do We Become Chinese

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
On 5/16/2016 at 8:32 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I don't know about China proper, but Hong Kong had the worst street food I have seen anywhere.  

Beijing street food might surprise you; lamb kebabs and roast chestnuts!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

All this means is that talks between the 2 countries will continue...  China has already said that it won't back down if the UN declares the islands belong to the Philippines...  Besides, is a country more apt to immediately attack a country with friendly ties or one they have no ties with?  In my opinion?  A smart move to prepare for whatever the future brings...

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, i am bob said:

All this means is that talks between the 2 countries will continue...  China has already said that it won't back down if the UN declares the islands belong to the Philippines...  Besides, is a country more apt to immediately attack a country with friendly ties or one they have no ties with?  In my opinion?  A smart move to prepare for whatever the future brings...

To a point, yes. Here's the thing though. If China can pay enough for this new president to actually cut ties with the US (as threatened by him already), there would be no more mutual defense treaty. At that point China could and very likely would waltz in there with their military and take over. That would allow China to annex this country and would give them enough land near the Spratlys for oil & gas refineries along with all supporting industries - as well as an almost inexhaustible supply of near slave labor. Do I think this is a likely scenario? No. But I do think that China already has planners at work on this if the opportunity presented itself. I think this would be their ultimate goal if given the chance. At that point they would be almost unstoppable throughout the South and Western Pacific.

Nephi

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The whole thing about cutting ties?  It was to show that (1) other countries shouldn't be taking to the press and making statements that can affect the outcome the election here; and (2) he isn't afraid to stand up and not be puppet of another country...  President- elect Duterte is here for the Philippines, not what other countries want for the Philippines...  

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, i am bob said:

The whole thing about cutting ties?  It was to show that (1) other countries shouldn't be taking to the press and making statements that can affect the outcome the election here; and (2) he isn't afraid to stand up and not be puppet of another country...  President- elect Duterte is here for the Philippines, not what other countries want for the Philippines...  

For everyone's sake, let's hope you are right.. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

China has been talking tough to Taiwan also. I hope Taiwan tells China to go ahead and break off talks if they want to, that they are never going to be part of Communist China.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

With North Korea snubbing China lately, China has started to look for friends again...  it's hard to do when you keep picking on your neighbors...  :)

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 5/24/2016 at 9:59 PM, robert k said:

China has been talking tough to Taiwan also. I hope Taiwan tells China to go ahead and break off talks if they want to, that they are never going to be part of Communist China.

Since it was their president Chang that drew the 9 dash line do they own the man made Islands?

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

when in Guangzhou many ears ago, I used to get a pancake out the front of the hotel that was just delicious, for next to nothing, about 50 cents if I remember correctly.  Looked forward to it every morning.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I agree with Bob that Duterte talking to China makes more sense than headbanging with them.  There may be a mutual agreement that can be reached, that will make it financially beneficial to both countries.  Maybe i am looking through rose coloured glasses.

Nelphi's concerns are somewhat premature I think but I understand that he has them.  China is clearly flexing its muscle in the China Sea.  Philippines objecting to UN is a waste of time,they are a toothless tiger.  In my view they should be disbanded and a stronger format developed by world counties.

Nelphi, maybe you can got to 'chop stick school' to hone your skills.?

• Like 2