Brown Lives Matter? Not So Much...

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

A policeman who allegedly shot dead a suspected robber and injured another yesterday will get a hefty P55,000 reward from Cebu City Mayor-elect Tomas Osmeña.

“Ang kanang wa mamatay, 5 mil ra na, ang patay P50,000, so next time para makatilaw og P50T, kinahanglan patay,” Osmeña said.

(He will get only P5,000 for the wounded suspect, but for the suspect who was shot dead, he gets P50,000, so next time, in order to get P50,000, the suspect should be killed.)

To ensure that the criminals will be killed, Osmeña said, the policemen must practice shooting.
“So the police should practice shooting,” he said.

Read more: http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/93830/one-down#ixzz48ycB3f70

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Ahh Duterte's doctrine is spreading!

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another one drives a Duster......Hope it doesnt become shoot first ask questions later :morning1:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I wasn't there. If the facts are that one law enforcement officer was chasing 3 felons, at least one of which was armed, I would be trying to simplify the equation also. One officer with one gun and three perpetrators, I would be trying to whittle it down to one or possibly none myself. I don't think it is a matter of brown lives don't matter, it's a matter of criminal lives don't matter. When that old woman with a baby lost her groceries, they probably didn't decide they would just go to a restaurant instead. It may sound like a petty crime but we don't know how many days of hunger that house may have to endure. If you have a motorcycle and a gun you could sell, you are probably ahead of grandma. So we are talking about a more wealthy group stealing from the more impoverished. Not so? Police are likely to chase armed robbers with bullets in the US also. I'm not going to second guess this without more information, like the three on the motorcycle were choirboys late for church and it just happened to look like a robbery of a person in the back of a jeepney from the back of a motorcycle.

As for shoot first and ask questions later? I thought that was the normal state of affairs if anything is going to be done at all?

I'm sure the police officer could have caught them, forced them to pull over and overcome all three of them with his fists, happens every day, right? Or would you think at least two would take to their heels and get away while the officer dealt with the third?

I think I will be ok though because I doubt it will ever look like I'm robbing an old lady with a babe in arms and I'm not running anywhere. If it ever does look like I'm robbing granny with a babe in arms, and I run? You have my permission to shoot. I think it is what it is. I'm not saying the officer could not have the wrong men, but I'm not ready to say he did the wrong thing if he had the right men.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

My Dad was stationed in Thailand in the early 70's. He told me about a hotel fire where a burgler decided that it was a good time to pick up anything loose. When he went to a balcony to make his escape the police were there and called on him to surrender only one time and because he didn't immediately put his hands up the police opened fire. Dad said that was the was it was, they only ask once. Is it still the same in Thailand?

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

37 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Another one drives a Duster......Hope it doesn't become shoot first ask questions later :morning1:

Dear Robert :smile:

My reference was to "Ahh Duterte's doctrine"

Sadly, however some people are wrongly accused, maybe not in this case though.

And Policeman sometimes shoot first, even in England!

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Dear Robert :smile:

My reference was to "Ahh Duterte's doctrine"

Sadly, however some people are wrongly accused, maybe not in this case though.

And Policeman sometimes shoot first, even in England!

I am big on due process. I don't want anyone to go around handing shovels to those accused so they can dig their own secret graves somewhere but I have heard enough about the Phillipines' legal system, the length of time it takes to go to trial, the tampering or outright murder of witnesses. I believe that the people who speak of the wild and wooly East have more than hot air backing their words. I wish it weren't so but what I wish has very little effect on what is. I wish every man accused of a crime could have a speedy trial, face his accusers in court and hopefully have someone versed in the law to make sure he isn't railroaded.

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Not that it doesn't happen anyway but if you give the police a financial incentive more and more of the "guilty" suspects are going to end up dead. The problem then becomes how many of the "innocent" bystanders start to become casualties from stray bullets.

Soon to be Mayor Osmena pretty quickly nailed his colours to the mast when he offered to pay the bail for police officer Dumpit, who's appealing his homicide conviction for shooting an (apparently unarmed) jeepney snatch thief. Judging by the attitude of my wife the general population will have little sympathy for these "guilty" suspects.

• Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

This is doomed to be abused by the less ethical in the force. Such exists? Noo....

Not that I have any difficulty seeing why this has become a method in fighting crimes, but it will not work out very well. Shooting shoplifters and purse-snappers but leaving the mob to their own is the wrong measure. The day they enter and clean up in certain quarters I will believe in change coming.

But, well, that's just me.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

Now this is just my opinion, based on observation and talking to the average Juan on the street.

8 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

This is doomed to be abused

Normal, decent law abiding folks are fed up on the laws being abused or just plain ignored already. Not only the corruption at high levels but just things that affect their everyday lives. Having your business or home inspected and giving a "gift" to get it approved. Traffic jams in intersections while traffic enforcers are sitting in the shade, vehicles loading and unloading in spots clearly marked. Buses and Jeepneys stopping in traffic to load. Men urinating against walls. eateries and the like encroaching on pedestrian right of ways. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

I once asked my brother in law (years ago) about what appears the blatant  disregard of published laws and common courtesy. His reply was "Its just democracy in action". In other words, if it feels good do it! Nothing is going to happen.

Seems that the "little people" all over the world are getting fed up with the status quo and are willing to go against the established political order. (Trump in the states, Brexit in England, Nationalists in Taiwan, right wing in Germany)

Will it work? Who knows, but here in the Philippines, the people have spoken.

• Like 4