Windows 10, Like It Or Not, I got it!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have been turning down the Windows 10 upgrade reminders for months now, and they seemed to be getting more frequent.  Today I rebooted my desktop and logged in, then went away for a while.  When came back a while later, Windows 10 was 19% through the install with no apparent way to stop it, other than a hard power off.  Anyone else had this happen?

So it installed, and I choose not to use the default settings, and went through the options.  All of them seemed to have something to do with tracking me or using my data or using my contacts!  No thanks!  I did not accept anything and set everything to off!

For those of you who are computer savvy and users of 10, are there any other things I should be on the lookout for?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I will be upgrading to 10 soon. Really what choice is there as we have to move on. As for tracking; everything is tracked these days so i see no harm in that. No different than cookies every site you go to. 

Anyway there is another topic on this but still as I say what choice is there as just like this forum eventually old versions fall into no longer supported. 

• Like 3

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

Options? The Linux world is out there, waiting to be explored. And now it is a welcoming environment with desktops and icons we can recognise. No need for piracy, as the best things in life are free (Life of Linux that is). It even runs M$ software if need be (like games).

Windows tracking?

A savvy person, really savvy, turned off everything possible. Was there anything left calling home to Mama? Oh, yes:

https://archive.is/QFL8e

Anyone surprised I dont use Windows?

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

My Alienware laptop wants me to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 almost everyday for months now. Thinking of doing it. Apparently windows 10 will come with a free virus protection? I only use my laptop mostly for gaming.. I have an Ipad for internet.

Anyone that has had Windows 8 and went to 10? How do you like it. I dont like windows 8 as there is no start menu (was a big fan of Windows XP until Windows 7 came out)... Heard there is a Start menu again in Windows 10??

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, MikeSwede said:

Options? The Linux world is out there, waiting to be explored. And now it is a welcoming environment with desktops and icons we can recognise. No need for piracy, as the best things in life are free (Life of Linux that is). It even runs M$ software if need be (like games).

Windows tracking?

A savvy person, really savvy, turned off everything possible. Was there anything left calling home to Mama? Oh, yes:

Are you marketing it because its a Swedish product ?? (Linuxes father Linus Torvalds is a Finnish Swede)? Just like i market Skype and Transferwise because its Estonian (ok some first investors for Skype were Scandinavians, but it was developed in Estonia and till this day one of their main bases is in Estonia).

I have used Linux and its good... But for gaming Laptops/PCs windows is usually the way to go. Gaming is the only reason i use my laptop. 

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeSwede said:

Windows tracking?

Yes, I have been thinking about setting up Linux to give a try.  What CAN'T I do on Linux?

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I have been thinking about setting up Linux to give a try.  What CAN'T I do on Linux?

You can do everything (and its easy). Just alot of the games don't really support Linux that well. Im playing "7 days to die" right now and alot of the Linux/Mac users have meny more problems than the windows users...

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Are you marketing it because its a Swedish product ?? (Linuxes father Linus Torvalds is a Finnish Swede)? Just like i market Skype and Transferwise because its Estonian (ok some first investors for Skype were Scandinavians, but it was developed in Estonia and till this day one of their main bases is in Estonia).

I have used Linux and its good... But for gaming Laptops/PCs windows is usually the way to go. Gaming is the only reason i use my laptop. 

Gaming is up there today, with Play on Linux in the newer Ubuntu versions.

To me, Linux is a Finnish offspring of Unix, and Ubuntu a isiZulu expression hard to translate, but simplified to work-together, or compassion.

Most of all, it won ground long after I left the shores of the Baltics, today I merely nod at the name Linus, as I do at Larry. :shades:

Worth trying out, for sure. The OS, I meant, not the nodding.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, MikeSwede said:

Gaming is up there today, with Play on Linux in the newer Ubuntu versions.

To me, Linux is a Finnish offspring of Unix, and Ubuntu a isiZulu expression hard to translate, but simplified to work-together, or compassion.

Most of all, it won ground long after I left the shores of the Baltics, today I merely nod at the name Linus, as I do at Larry. :shades:

Worth trying out, for sure. The OS, I meant, not the nodding.

Windows is still the best to have for gaming tho... Shoares of the baltics... I cant wait to have my feet in the dirty baltic sea again... Home... ??.

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

You will have problems working with some Access database setups.

Internet Explorer (bless it's memory) will not run well.

Adobes graphic software suits need some tweaking to run well.

Full 3D accelleration and 3D renering, if your computer have it, will suffer. Sometimes.

I run an Asus gamers Laptop with all the salsa picante you can dream of. Sometimes I have to start it twice, the graphics (dual) inside then failed to bite. Since a startup in Linux is like your average hot Android phone (Linux too, btw) there is no time lost.

• Like 2