Windows 10, Like It Or Not, I got it!

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Windows is still the best to have for gaming tho... Shoares of the baltics... I cant wait to have my feet in the dirty baltic sea again... Home... ??.

Yes, agreed, due to game producers need to rely on certain fixed factors. Which makes it really weird Apple not being the prefered platform.

But it is clearly changing a lot, with graphics driver now being released proprietary from the cards manufacturers. A huge leap forward, and we do see the games rolling in now.

Dual booting probably still is the way forward, if keen gamer with privacy concerns.

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I have been thinking about setting up Linux to give a try.  What CAN'T I do on Linux?

I have an online law library program/service which gives me unlimited searches and downloads for one $700 per year subscription that will not ever run on Linux because there is not enough interest in making a Linux version, Windows or Mac only. In contrast, Westlaw or Lexus Nexus which charges a fee for each search could cost me $25,000 a day when I am researching. I'm sure there are probably other programs that may be important to some people which just don't have enough demand for someone to tweak them for Linux.

Gator
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I will be upgrading to 10 soon. Really what choice is there as we have to move on.

Late last year I downloaded 10 and after having numerous issues and crashes the choice for me was simple - switch to Mac; which I did and I'm now wondering why I didn't switch over years ago!  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyway there is another topic on this

Just FYI, the new software gives a message "this topic is very old" and suggests to start a new one, so I did.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Just FYI, the new software gives a message "this topic is very old" and suggests to start a new one, so I did.

Hmm it's a plugin but might be something wrong as I am sure it was set for older topics than that. Will look at it. :thumbsup:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My  experience with Windows 10 has been a very bad one.  Shortly after updating from Windows 7 which was fine but fell for the fallacy it was going to stop being supported forthwith.  Within weeks, I was having start up issues, windows freezing and error warning constnatly.

It would come up with a blue screen stating windows has encountered a seriou s problem (you can say that again). It got worse.  A friend who is computer savvy gave my computer a 'deep clean' whatever the hell that means and it started to work normally for several weeks.  I forgot to mention it also would not recognise wifi during the problem period.

Same problems started again and it eventually was so bad, it rarely started at all.  It is now in the Computer Doctcors for the 3rd time.  They got it going for a few days  and then it shut down again.  He is taking windows 10 out and installing windows 8 which I am told was never much good,but it could not be as bad as the sh.t I have had with Windows 10.

I think Windows 10 sucks, I did some searching on google and the type of problems I was encountering is very common.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

My  experience with Windows 10 has been a very bad one.  Shortly after updating from Windows 7 which was fine but fell for the fallacy it was going to stop being supported forthwith.  Within weeks, I was having start up issues, windows freezing and error warning constnatly.

It would come up with a blue screen stating windows has encountered a seriou s problem (you can say that again). It got worse.  A friend who is computer savvy gave my computer a 'deep clean' whatever the hell that means and it started to work normally for several weeks.  I forgot to mention it also would not recognise wifi during the problem period.

Same problems started again and it eventually was so bad, it rarely started at all.  It is now in the Computer Doctcors for the 3rd time.  They got it going for a few days  and then it shut down again.  He is taking windows 10 out and installing windows 8 which I am told was never much good,but it could not be as bad as the sh.t I have had with Windows 10.

I think Windows 10 sucks, I did some searching on google and the type of problems I was encountering is very common.

One of my major problems with W10 was it wouldn't recognize my factory stock Dell monitor, kept calling it generic and wouldn't let me set it to it's native resolution. I will try again in a few days and see if I can work through it, I have windows 10 downloaded on a spare 320GB hard drive I bought for $20 shipped.

Some people have a problem with W10 because their Bios is not the latest version. Having the bios flashed online  is hazardous if you don't have a reliable power supply and internet connection. The power went out about 1 minute after flashing the bios on my desktop and I was wondering if it was ever going to work again or if I would have to buy a new motherboard and single use operating system. Luckily it worked.

From what I have heard, if one has an older Asus laptop, you may as well take a whole bottle of sleeping pills before installing W10 and save yourself the aggravation.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I have been thinking about setting up Linux to give a try.  What CAN'T I do on Linux?

Mostly the games are what is limited on Linux. You can download a free office suite (OpenOffice https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html), browse the internet, mail client, antivirus, etc. Do a test drive, by burning a bootable "Live CD" http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install and check it out without it installed on your machine. I have used Linux in the past prior to migrating to Mac. You can also run a virtual windows machine on your Linux box https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads for any unsupported software (games, Visio, etc.). The best thing I have found about Linux is that it will make an older box last longer as it doesn't require as much resources as Windows. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, robert k said:

you may as well take a whole bottle of sleeping pills before installing W10 and save yourself the aggravation.

Thanks for all of the replies.  Do those have to be name brand sleeping pills or can I buy generic?

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks for all of the replies.  Do those have to be name brand sleeping pills or can I buy generic?

If your laptop is Asus brand, I would only use name brand sleeping pills.

• Like 1